Sign in to follow this  
Laer

Is the old manual still usable?

I have the original Falcon 4 sim (with the wicked manual), and (years ago) was using the SP3 mod. I've dusted off F4, and looked into what was new. I looked into AF, but was disappointed in what SEEMED to be not much improvement (for a paid update). I was blown away by the Red Viper vids, but couldn't find RV... other than FF3. I tried FF3, and was impressed with the easy install, but unimpressed with the stability. I then tried Open Falcon, and was impressed with both the easy install and the seemingly better stability (...and the fact that, despite thinking that FF was the more graphically superior, OF looks really great).

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, I'm reading up on how to play F4 again (...it's been a while!). I'm reading the original manual, but already noticed that there are some changes in Falcon compared to the manual with the OF update. One that comes to mind is the Air To Air modes... In the manual, you have RWS, TWS, VS, etc.... whereas in the OF cockpit, there seems to be RWS, TWS, and then some DIFFERENT modes that seem new and not covered in the manual.

Are the modes the same, and the display codes are different... or have the avionics been updated in OF?

Main question is, is there a further manual that I should be reading after the main F4 manual?

(My appologies to all those who died of old age reading that longwinded question....)

All the mods like RV and OF and such have included manuals in PDF form I believe. Just browse thru the directories. The original manual is relevant to the generic stuff, but specific switchology and procedures may be incorrect/incomplete with the mods.

All the mods like RV and OF and such have included manuals in PDF form I believe. Just browse thru the directories. The original manual is relevant to the generic stuff, but specific switchology and procedures may be incorrect/incomplete with the mods.

True enough... but which manual in the F4 docs folder? There are several manuals there (as well as other documents and folders). No 'Open Falcon' one... So I'm assuming that it's the SP4 one?... I thought SP4 was a different 'mod' than Open Falcon. I was surprised to find it there... along with some of the other ones.

I haven't used any mods for F4 pretty much since F4:AF came out. Its stability was what drew me to it! So I don't know off hand which one, but I would sort by dates and look for the newest ones. The SP4 one probably still applies in large part, which is why it's there. I believe OF was an extension of SP4, that's why.