Regarding the full merged IL2 (Aces, Pacific, etc) sim...

1) Is there a way to change the current waypoint on the map display? It's annoying that it seems to insist you fly to each next waypoint, regardless of the situation ...like if I'm already 2 waypoints ahead of it, due to having to take a detour, yet it wants me to go back and hit the first one... or if I am badly damaged, and want to head straight for home, it still insists I hit all the waypoints.

2) Is there a way to declutter the map (remove all the gun icons) AFTER a career is started? You should be able to toggle them on/off if you have selected to have them on in your career difficulty settings. Most of the time, the target area is completely covered by icons, so you can't look at terrain/landmarks.

3) Why is it that you have to switch autopilot off in order to turn the wing leveler on/off... even though the wing leveler can be on with autopilot on or off?

4) Why is it that you can't adjust the bombsite (altitude, speed, viewing angle) while autopilot is on for the pilot? Those are two separate positions. Why are they treated as one in terms of autopilot?

5) Is there no way to see what altitudes you are supposed to be at for each waypoint on the briefing map?

6) Why is it that very often, it seems that I can't slow down the bombsite speed enough to prevent drift? Is there a minimum altitude you can use the bombsite at? I have the other settings correct, yet even at the slowest speed, the bombsite targeter is sliding down faster than the ground.

7) Is there no way to accelerate time faster than 8x? Meaning, is there no 'jump to next waypoint' feature?

8) How are the altitude and airspeed guages in the bombing deck read? The altitude seems to be way higher than the sim info panel altitude. Are they in different units? If so, why the heck would they do that? (The plane makers, not the programmers)

9) Are there any fighterplane campaigns that focus on ground attacks, rather than dogfighting?

Thanks...

Regarding the full merged IL2 (Aces, Pacific, etc) sim...

1) Is there a way to change the current waypoint on the map display? It's annoying that it seems to insist you fly to each next waypoint, regardless of the situation ...like if I'm already 2 waypoints ahead of it, due to having to take a detour, yet it wants me to go back and hit the first one... or if I am badly damaged, and want to head straight for home, it still insists I hit all the waypoints.

2) Is there a way to declutter the map (remove all the gun icons) AFTER a career is started? You should be able to toggle them on/off if you have selected to have them on in your career difficulty settings. Most of the time, the target area is completely covered by icons, so you can't look at terrain/landmarks.

3) Why is it that you have to switch autopilot off in order to turn the wing leveler on/off... even though the wing leveler can be on with autopilot on or off?

4) Why is it that you can't adjust the bombsite (altitude, speed, viewing angle) while autopilot is on for the pilot? Those are two separate positions. Why are they treated as one in terms of autopilot?

5) Is there no way to see what altitudes you are supposed to be at for each waypoint on the briefing map?

6) Why is it that very often, it seems that I can't slow down the bombsite speed enough to prevent drift? Is there a minimum altitude you can use the bombsite at? I have the other settings correct, yet even at the slowest speed, the bombsite targeter is sliding down faster than the ground.

7) Is there no way to accelerate time faster than 8x? Meaning, is there no 'jump to next waypoint' feature?

8) How are the altitude and airspeed guages in the bombing deck read? The altitude seems to be way higher than the sim info panel altitude. Are they in different units? If so, why the heck would they do that? (The plane makers, not the programmers)

9) Are there any fighterplane campaigns that focus on ground attacks, rather than dogfighting?

Thanks...

1. Not that I know of, old design choice since the beginning.

2. Not that I know of.

3. Also old design choice since the beginning.

4. Also old design choice since the beginning.

5. Not that I know of.

6. After 6 years of this sim I've STILL never used the bombsite...always divebombing for me! :grin:

7. Nope.

8. See #6. :grin:

9. If you're looking for ground attack, you either need to pick a plane that never fought air-to-air or you need to use a 3rd party campaign, not a built-in one.

Lowengrin's Dynamic Campaign Generator for Il-2 has been around for years and offers a lot more flexibility and customization. Or you can look for scripted campaigns online, but of course it will always play the same.

It's a shame... There's so much that I like about this sim... The quality in the graphics and flight model alone have always impressed me, as well as the scope. But little things just drive me nuts on it... the painful map/waypoint system... the annoying voiceovers (....the sound of the voices are great, but the performances are annoying (the hyper Russian guy shouting repeatedly), and either overly excited or way too relaxed.... American:'Someone get him off me....(yawn)..... Please....').... and the terribly disappointing 'lawnmower' engine sound.

The bombing runs (heavy bombers) drove me crazy for the longest time (mostly the waypoint system and autopilot switchover systems), but just recently I got it working and did a successful run (of a mission I've failed countless times, much to my violent disappointment...). I figured out some of the things I did wrong, but am still struggling with things like the waypoint system.

Shame it's not more modable.... I'd love for someone to make a b17...

Ya, I have the campaign generator. I'll have to fire that up again and see.

Thanks for the responses!