Sign in to follow this  
vulkan

MiG-19 NoseCone mod

I seen a Chinese mod photo somewhere , The 19 with cone air intake "central object".

And the description was : it is build like a experimental radar cup...

I try to build(mod) this used the MiG-21's fueltank.

post-12663-1200076252_thumb.jpg

[where useable a fueltank...?]

vulkan

In the soviet SM project had a MiG-19 the nose part of the MiG-21PF, also with a much bigger air cone.

SM-12PM. I'll try my hand at this, along with SM-12 day fighter.

I may use these -12's for the Siberian Sky myth, but probably with standard RD-9B engines instead of RD-9BFs or Sorokins. It seems the extra speed came largely from the sharper intake, and not just engines.

SM-12PM. I'll try my hand at this, along with SM-12 day fighter.

I may use these -12's for the Siberian Sky myth, but probably with standard RD-9B engines instead of RD-9BFs or Sorokins. It seems the extra speed came largely from the sharper intake, and not just engines.

The aerodynamics was better, but i thought, that it were only prototypes, because the MiG-21 development made a good progress.

I find another intresting SOVIET mod ! (not Chinese)

MiG-e_2

post-12663-1200245805_thumb.jpg

vulkan

I find another intresting SOVIET mod ! (not Chinese)

MiG-e_2

post-12663-1200245805_thumb.jpg

vulkan

The Ye-2 was part of the '21 family the russians tested many configurations including this hi-degree swept back one, as the Sukoji bureau wuth the Su-7/9 family. Anyway in the end they choose the delta tailed configuration that we all know.....

I think that Lexx and the others were talking about this other fighters developed starting from the Mig-19 shape adding a rocket engine and working on the aerodynamics of the nose to feed better the engines at high celing....

mig19sula2.th.gif

and

sm12pmudj0.th.gif

Mau.

Yep, basic SM-12. Below I use 16+8+8-2= 30 UV32 rocket pods to roughly approximate the longer nose. I ran into some kind of limit on the numbers of added weapons, so I had to delete a UV32 rarely seen at the bottom and delete another to allow addition of an inlet nose cone (195gal F-104 tank). I'll probably allow a dynamic campaign variable to allow at least limited production and use of this aircraft in my Siberian Sky campaign.

The significant change was the sharper intake and early "mig-21" style nose, and with some stabilator changes to allow handling at the higher speeds (near Mach 1.7 for the real aircraft). Many other smaller but still interesting changes that may not be needed if there was a shooting war going on and the extra speed was needed NOW with no time to wait for MiG-21F. The FM would be an estimate, with the lower power but more reliable RD-9B engines. The real thing had handling issues at high speeds, and would make a good match with F-101 which also had a bad attitude about manuevering. The raw speed may be needed, depending on what SAC puts into the air in the late 1950s before the J-79 powered B-58 comes along.

SM-12-1.jpg

SM-12-2.jpg

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

If produced, what would this be named? I guess MiG-19SM for the basic SM-12. What to call a limited production run of SM-12PM I don't know, as there is already MiG-19PM. Does anybody know the following English translation of Russian sub-types...?

F

PF

PFM

PFMA

S

SM

SMT

SM-12-3.jpg

If produced, what would this be named? I guess MiG-19SM for the basic SM-12. What to call a limited production run of SM-12PM I don't know, as there is already MiG-19PM. Does anybody know the following English translation of Russian sub-types...?

F

PF

PFM

PFMA

S

SM

SMT

SM-12-3.jpg

PFM,I think

Project SM was the MiG-19, like project E was MiG-21 and project S the MiG-15, if i remember right.

F means forsasch afterburner

P means perechwatschik Interceptor radar equipped

PF means perechwatschik forsasch Interceptor radar equipped with afterburner

PFM means perechwatschik forsasch modifizirowanui PF modernized

S means Saphire Radar type Saphire RP-21

SM means Saphire modifiziroowanui Saphire modernized

SMT means Saphire modifizirovanui topliwo Saphire modernized with larger tanks

M means modifizirowanui modernised

wow, what about the MiG-25s and the whole PD and PDS thing?

speaking of Foxbat...that random screenshot thing pointed me to the Foxbat package...too sweet

SM-12-1.jpg

SM-12-2.jpg

Lexx,

Just wondering... is it possible to "join" two aircraft LODs in a similar manner? may be setup one a/c LOD as a weapon...

Just had a wild idea to replicate a MiG-21 variant if this is possible.

Thanks fellas/fellattes. I'm thinking MiG-19PMU for a limited production SM-12PM (not SM-12PMU).

Ghost::

Just wondering... is it possible to "join" two aircraft LODs in a similar manner? may be setup one a/c LOD as a weapon...

Just had a wild idea to replicate a MiG-21 variant if this is possible.

An aircraft LOD can be applied using the same method, with the LOD's files re-named. The aircraft LOD and bmp skin files would need to be in the weapons folder, and they could be re-skinned if needed for your use. To make things better, a hex editor can also change the skin bmp filenames used.

Ghost::

An aircraft LOD can be applied using the same method, with the LOD's files re-named. The aircraft LOD and bmp skin files would need to be in the weapons folder, and they could be re-skinned if needed for your use. To make things better, a hex editor can also change the skin bmp filenames used.

Ok.How about having proper MiG-21FL model by mating the MiG-21PFM & MiG-21PF models? Possible ?

MiG-21FL = Front part of the fuselage MiG-21PF + second half of the MiG-21PFM(fin)

VIET.GIF

+

gdr1.GIF

=

Ind8.GIF

Aircraft LOD's can't be "joined" or pieced together in parts. What you may be asking for might work in some cases however. They can be added to an aircraft like weapons, as stated above. I was planning to add a P-51 to a P-51 wing to rougly "mold" an F-82, but Pasko's F-82 was re-releaced here fortunately.

The "F-13" narrow tailfin is more characteristic of "P" model, not "PF". Tailfin has been broadened to avoid instability that has been detected at high Mach (led to loss of one prototype) due to airflow from enlarged nose cone. Also, parachute was moved above exaust.

There was some overlap, though.

So, majority of "PF"'s have broad fins, and "FL" is externally "PF" with GSh-23L gunpack.

So-add GSh-23L gunpack to Soviet "PF"=cannon-armed FL :smile:

PFM is mainly different in having different seat (and canopy), engine bleed for the new blown flaps, and better "dumper" autopilot.

"12PM" version of MiG-19 was not manufactured in series. Also, AM-5 derivatives on 12PM proved to be too thirsty (SFC went up) when going M1.8, so its supersonic range was almost shorter than of MiG-21F.

Why it was not manufactured?

-"Inside competition" to MiG-21

-no technological advantage;

-it was /more expensive/ than MiG-21 (two engines!). Believe me, this was also important in Soviet union as well as in the west...