Sign in to follow this  
Zurawski

MV-22 Osprey proficiency?

Just out of morbid curriosity... Have any of you Osprey down-loaders become proficient in handling the bird in VTOL mode?

I ask because I've been giving thought to also creating (or having some one create it) a "VTOL Playground" terrain... One where there would be plenty of places to take-off

and land on... Think: Small Helli-ports, buildings with Helli-pads, the odd oil-rig...

Personally I'm to a point where I can pretty much take-off and land anywhere I please.... I guess I've spent way to much time playing with this thing. :dntknw:

Just bouncing ideas and checking if anyone is flying this thing....

Oh, and BTW... a cockpit update is coming soon... keep an eye out!

Edited by Zurawski

I'm getting there......

VTOL aircraft are notoriously hard since you don't have good peripheral vision with a PC screen.

I'm getting there......

VTOL aircraft are notoriously hard since you don't have good peripheral vision with a PC screen.

I am a ctastrophe; but must be just me

I am a catastrophe; but must be just me

With friends and family, the hardest part for them is NOT man-handling the controls... Because the input reaction is delayed, they tend to slam the joystick and throttle around, over compensating when it gets a bit squirrelly...

... Once you folks get a functional cocpkit with guages to cue off of, it will make things a little easier.

Edited by Zurawski

I'm getting there, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm proficient. I don't really crash, but there's defintiely some passengers getting tossed about now and again. It's certainly getting easier though.

I'm getting there, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm proficient. I don't really crash, but there's defintiely some passengers getting tossed about now and again. It's certainly getting easier though.

LOL!

Funny you mention this... I was just thinking about that the other night when I playing with adding paratroopers to the loadoout. I came in a little fast and at a high off-angle... touched and bounced around a bit(okay... a lot) . I thought to myself that 24 soldiers in back would be ready to roast my ass for a landing like that!

LOL!

Funny you mention this... I was just thinking about that the other night when I playing with adding paratroopers to the loadoout. I came in a little fast and at a high off-angle... touched and bounced around a bit(okay... a lot) . I thought to myself that 24 soldiers in back would be ready to roast my ass for a landing like that!

I can picture it now;

Marine fire team leader walks up from the rear, chops you in the side of the neck, and takes control of the aircraft. The crew chief holds you down while the rest of the Marines commence to beating you with bars of soap inside of tube socks.

I can picture it now;

Marine fire team leader walks up from the rear, chops you in the side of the neck, and takes control of the aircraft. The crew chief holds you down while the rest of the Marines commence to beating you with bars of soap inside of tube socks.

been watching Full Metal Jacket recently?

I really should download that MV-22... but I have no time to fly it. Maybe once the new cockpit comes out.

is there an ETA yet?

Edited by Rambler 1-1

been watching Full Metal Jacket recently?

I really should download that MV-22... but I have no time to fly it. Maybe once the new cockpit comes out.

is there an ETA yet?

I've got it roughed in... been "slowly" detailing it... (It's going to be my best pit yet... better than the Sabre). I should be posting some update pics within the next week...

Final pit release will depend on how busy my home life is and how far the Packers get into the play-offs.

(It's going to be my best pit yet... better than the Sabre).

whoa, that's definetly woth the wait!

Final pit release will depend on how busy my home life is and how far the Packers get into the play-offs.

ain't that the truth.

Edited by Rambler 1-1

I like it, big fan of this back in the FS2k2 world...am setting up a CVG in WOE today mostly so I can practice with the -22 on that.

Thanks for the hard work, and looking forward to that cockpit update

Getting back to the playground terrain" idea...

As I eluded to earlier, I had thoughts for Helli-pads, roof tops and oil rigs... I also thoughts about difficult approaches and "situational terrain". Something like an outcropping on a steep cliff etc...

Any other ideas?

Perhaps have a narrow valley (or even just a big hole) with a makeshift helipad.

And is it true you are making a Gunship varient?

made a mission for it and that new Russian carrier...man that takes talent to land thing thing on a moving ship

Here is a nice one...

img00007.jpg

notice that the water doesnt look like water though, reference my other post...

the "Ospreysky"I hear about that! :biggrin:

Is there an existing CV in the default WOE terrain? If so, where? Maybe a training mission with the Osprey could be built using it, since it's a huge deck. Or replace it with the assualt carrier for more realism.

Storm

I saw that the CVA-63 is in there, but I do not know how to get to it...maybe some one will make it sparky-proof

Perhaps have a narrow valley (or even just a big hole) with a makeshift helipad.

And is it true you are making a Gunship varient?

Yup... Your data is correct. :wink:

Once I'm further long with the cockpit, I'll post some pics of the roughed in gunship/attack version... (Shamelessly dangling the hook..)

:biggrin:

RE: Ships -

I've played around with several of the ships and found the LHA-1 Tarawa and Invincible are pretty good to work with. Will be trying with the ANZAC Class Guided Missile Frigate next for a real challenge!

Yup... Your data is correct. :wink:

Once I'm further long with the cockpit, I'll post some pics of the roughed in gunship/attack version... (Shamelessly dangling the hook..)

:biggrin:

Hey Z,

Even though you are developing a gunship/attack version, I have been tinkering with your bird, and have added a M127 Minigun under the left nose (next to the forward landing gear).

Would you mind if I posted the position/weapon info in this thread for people who want a 'lightly armed' slick version?

Cheers buddy

Blackhawk

Edited by S-70 Blackhawk

Hey Z,

Even though you are developing a gunship/attack version, I have been tinkering with your bird, and have added a M127 Minigun under the left nose (next to the forward landing gear).

Would you mind if I posted the position/weapon info in this thread for people who want a 'lightly armed' slick version?

Cheers buddy

Blackhawk

Not a problem... Anything to keep interest in the Osprey while I drag my feet on the cockpit. :wink:

Not a problem... Anything to keep interest in the Osprey while I drag my feet on the cockpit. :wink:

Cheers mate,

I felt that the Ospery needed some firepower as an interem measure until Zurawski had the time to finish the Attack version.

I origionally had miniguns mounted externally on either side of the sponsoons, but this wouldnt work because they fired thru the props :dntknw:

SO I mounted a single weapon station on the lower left underside of the nose (Between the Nose Gear and the Landing Lights). No pylon is provided, and you will need the Weapons Pack by Bunyap.

TO ADD:

Open the MV-22_Data.ini with notepad

Find the section called [Fuselage]

Scroll to the bottom of this section and add: SystemName[XXX]=WeaponStation1

Replace the XXX with the number after the one above

Find the section called Countermeasure System and add this below it:

// Weapon Stations --------------------------

[WeaponStation1]

SystemType=WEAPON_STATION

StationID=2

StationGroupID=2

StationType=EXTERNAL

AttachmentPosition=-0.6300,4.4500,-1.5500

AttachmentAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

LoadLimit=250.0

AllowedWeaponClass=GP

AttachmentType=USAF,USN

ModelNodeName=

PylonMass=25

Fire up WOE and go to town! :clapping:

Note: When you selet the Minigun, it will appear green. If you want it grey, you will have to modify the gun itself...which I haven't done. Also, I believe it is only a 7.62mm weapon. If anyone can find a similar looking version in 20mm, lemme know!

Enjoy

Blackhawk

Edited by S-70 Blackhawk

Took this for a few flights this morning and love it. My first attempt wasnt good as I had forgotten to change the FM to HARD. I fly the game in NORMAL as the jets act goofy on HARD. Anyhow, after the quick change, I was hovering in no time. Really stable.

Off into the pattern (using the Highway Strip as my base) and it accelerates quickly. On downwind, I'm trying to cycle the pods to a 45 degree to slow down, but it's tough. She wants to speed.

Turning base, I drop the gear at 200kts and cycle the pods to about 80 degrees. The buffet is there at 110 as the README stated. I quickly go full 90 on the pods and bleed aff more speed using a slight pitch up angle. For some reason though, it likes to rock back and forth between 100kts and 50kts, then settles down below 50kts.

A nice slow descent into another hover over the pad and I'm down.

Great job Zur! Any chance of a CV-22B? Thats the USAF version.

Thanks,

Storm