Sign in to follow this  
bobrock

C551 Giuseppe Garibaldi - italian carrier

I've been working lately on the model of the italian navy carrier G. Garibaldi and this last weekend I've been able to put her to sea. I'm still working on the 3d model, but I wanted to make sure she floated at least :biggrin: .

This is my first mod and I'm still trying to understand how to make things work properly, looking at others models and copy/pasting/changing bits of ini from other carriers.

Right now I'm trying to make SAM and AAA work and I hope someone could help me or give me some hint before I do something wrong and I blow her with her own missiles

post-15328-1200308023_thumb.jpg

Will be released in two weeks :smile:

Two weeks eh bobrock? Man that looks sweet. Can't wait for it and your awesome textures for it.

Edited by suhsjake

Looking good :ok:

Would be nice if it can have static planes and people on it in the future ;)

Here's the Italian Navy CAG!My present for your ship!

Italian SHARs and a CV to land them on. Very nice addition!

Storm

very cool.Looks like a "NATO Fighters" type campaign for the southern theater is getting closer to a reality.We have lots of Italian,Turkish and Greek stuff.Thanks for the Carrier Pics,excellent stuff.

Guest capun
I've been working lately on the model of the italian navy carrier G. Garibaldi and this last weekend I've been able to put her to sea. I'm still working on the 3d model, but I wanted to make sure she floated at least :biggrin: .

This is my first mod and I'm still trying to understand how to make things work properly, looking at others models and copy/pasting/changing bits of ini from other carriers.

Right now I'm trying to make SAM and AAA work and I hope someone could help me or give me some hint before I do something wrong and I blow her with her own missiles

All weapons must face forward and be world aligned. The get set correctly via the data ini. In some cases it may look odd in your 3DS Max design since they run into the superstructure.

Be sure that the Internal properties (measurements) of the meshes match the 3DS Max Viewport measurements.

Best method is to align the meshes, break the links (very important), do a XFORM RESET, convert back to Editable Mesh and re-link

Set the Guns/launchers pivot points correctly

Set the Data ini correctly, look at some of the newer ships as an example.

If you have missile launchers, only one can work properly. The other's won't track.

Multiple guns do work, they are properly set via the data ini.

If you have missiles and guns, make the missile launcher the primary weapon.

Thanks capun! This is VERY useful. I was working on the weapons lately and going through the usual trial/error routine. Too bad you can only use one launcher (Garibaldi has two) so I guess the other will only be for eye candy.

This is the first launch I've been able to accomplish

Now I'll work on the AAA

Guest capun
Thanks capun! This is VERY useful. I was working on the weapons lately and going through the usual trial/error routine. Too bad you can only use one launcher (Garibaldi has two) so I guess the other will only be for eye candy.

This is the first launch I've been able to accomplish

Now I'll work on the AAA

You can try faking an operational second laucher but it won't correctly work.

You can make the second launcher track by making it into a TRACK radar unit via the ini. The Yaw will work but not Pitch.

Nice ship, a very nice prey for the Su-22M4.

You can try faking an operational second laucher but it won't correctly work.

You can make the second launcher track by making it into a TRACK radar unit via the ini. The Yaw will work but not Pitch.

Thanks, I will give this a try, even if defense systems on a carrier are somehow unnecessary, since they're indestructible. Or is there a workaround for this too?

Capun I am sure will answer that when he gets here and checks all this

"Bandits at 3 O'Clock"

"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"

Haze yourself!!!! lol

Guest capun
Thanks, I will give this a try, even if defense systems on a carrier are somehow unnecessary, since they're indestructible. Or is there a workaround for this too?

This is a problem with all ships declared to be CARRIER, including some of the helo carrying ships like the modified OH Perry.

According to TK, the planes "striking" the Flight Deck were causing the carrier to explode so he made the flight deck almost indestructible. If you look at the Data ini, the flight deck is a "Collision Mesh".

If I recall correct, there was a way to destroy a carrier. I think Gramps posted how a while back. I just don't recall the procedure, I think you had to play in Hard mode but don't quote me here. See if you can find how via the search feature.

A workaround? Make the ship a non-carrier, basically an AI target :) You end up with a carrier to take off/trap and a AI target.

There could be another way but I have not tried it. Maybe removing the Collision Mesh could take care of the problem, but then you could not land on it (you could just ESC to terminate the mission before landing). Something for someone to try

Just a small update to show the progress. I've added a few more details to the ship, SAMs and CIWS are operational, the deck has catapults for 4 jump jets. But no cables at all, you have to come in very slow!

The skinning is almost done, I have to do add some detail and do the weathering, but I'm confident it will be finished soon.

post-15328-1201250985_thumb.jpgpost-15328-1201250963_thumb.jpgpost-15328-1201251029_thumb.jpg

HELP WANTED TO FINISH AV8 SERIES I HAVE ANIMATED AV-8B+ E GR7 BUT I NEED HELP TO MAKE THEM FLYABLE(*.INI FILES)