Sign in to follow this  
Brainless

How many hours?

Having just made 'captain' (see my post in FS Flight simulator) I got to wondering just how many hours I've spent ( my misses says wasted ) sim flying. Well I calculated it like this. I started simming around about 2002. I spend approx. 15hours a week flying on average so doing the math that's 15 x 52 x 5yrs = 3,900hrs.

Golly is it that much. Question is, is this time well spent. Hmmm.. haven't really got an answer to that one. :biggrin:

How about you guys ? What's your approx total?

Started back in '95 with Fleet Defender, but simming per week is up and down, some weeks 0, some weeks...a lot Figure a good average of 20 hrs/week overall average across those 12 years as an estimate.

20x52x12 = 12480hrs.

Started in '05 with FS9. Got 559 hours from the Cessna 172. From there (when I found SimV) I got the SEPECAT Jaguar and got about 1674 hours of that bird. Other assorted planes have given me about 2997 hours. And don't get me started on WOE/SFG/WOV

I can't remember when I started in on flight sims, but it had to be 10-15 years ago. PLay has been sporadic with periods of up to a year or more between "flight" time so I can't even begin to guess how much time I've spent on them. What I've noticed lately is that I spend more time modding and tweaking the games than I do actually flying; in fact I can't remeber the last "flight" I took, but I 've been fiddling with the TW series nearly daily for months.

I don't spend that much time actually flying the sim, mainly any free time goes on modding.

I spend enough for my kids to complain that I dont get out enough, usually 8 to 12 hours a day on the weekend and days off, 4+ any other day.

well, I started simming when i was 5 with Janes ATF (running on my dad's state-of-the-art Windows 95 clunker), and I figure I clocked about 90 hours on that...

then FS '98, which I clocked seven hours a week for 2 years.. that's 728 hours...

the FS9, which I clocked about 9 hours a week for 4 or so years (up untill last year when I had to make room for more SFP1), and that's 1872 hours...

then SFP1, which i spend about 1.5 hours on per day (average), and I've had it since '02, but there was about a year I didn't play it, so I'll say 4 years, and that's 2184 hours.

total time=4874 hours (holy cr@p!)

however, only about 2000 hours of that was real flying, with taking off and landing and that stuff. The rest was just fooling around. But still....

Well I have been simming since F-15 Strike Eagle in 1984 on a C64.....I will let you all take a guess because I cant.

Heh, I also started on F-15E Strike Eagle 2, don't even remember when it was but must have been around late eighties... then came F-19 Strike Fighter, Sierra's A-10, followed by Aces of the Pacific and Aces over Europe... OMG... I remember getting up like at 5 AM on a Sunday morning to play those two on my dad's PC for extra time because on sundays I knew my parents always slept more... :rofl: After that came Jane's Fighters Anthology and now finally WoE... never tried out MSFS although my dad has the 1.0 around still somewhere, unopened I guess... :swoon: I have NO IDEA how many hours I've spent flight simming so far... :pilot:

Edited by TX3RN0BILL

Well I have been simming since F-15 Strike Eagle in 1984 on a C64.....I will let you all take a guess because I cant.

Also my first flight sim (although 3-4 years later). Pixel big as elephants, but it was terrific in these days!!! :biggrin:

Still got my Amiga 500 somewhere in the basement, "Fighter Bomber" and "F/A-18 Interceptor", sadly the floppy disks are corrupted. :sorry:

Well gosh..you're all amazing. I'm just a'newbie' compared to you guys! :biggrin:

Least I can tell my misses I've only really just started :biggrin:

I started on my Atari 400 with B-1 Nuclear Bomber...circa 1983?? Then we got the Atari 800 and I got FS2 with its WWI combat side game.

First PC sim was Gunship in 1988, first jet was F-19 Stealth Fighter in 1989.

I've been flying at varying rates (a lot more in the 90s than recently) for 25 years now on my PCs. I average maybe 20 hrs/week on my PC, but not always flying. In fact some weeks I don't fly at all, but race or FPS or RTS or whatever instead.

So, make up a number and maybe it's correct. Just as good as any I'd make!

Falcon 2.0 was my first back in the mid 80's, IIRC. Moved on steadily from there. Oh and I cant forget SWOTL!

Too many hours to count, or even attempt. Back when Air Warrior was free on AOL, I'd take a week of leave and play morning to late night. That was addicting.

Storm

Edited by ST0RM

For me, It all started with my brother's copy of "X-Wing Collector Series Edition" when I was six. Me and my brother played the hell out of that game until the disc was unusable four years later. I never got around to replacing it.

So far, with a rough average of around five hours a day (two hours a day for the first two years, then eight hours a day the last year) for four years, approximately 7,000 hours, if my calculations are correct.

Rogue Squadron for the Nintendo 64 became an interest shortly after my introduction to X-Wing, and I still play it today. Because I never spent very much time on it, I have a total of 750 hours on that, thus a total of 7,750 hours.

For a period after that, the only flight sim I played was X-Wing Alliance, but never to the scale of X-Wing. 1,500 hours, total 9,250 hours.

I acquired First Eagles in March 2007, and WOV in November 2007. Total from both games: approximately 4,500 hours.

My total flight sim hours are:

13,750 hours well spent, over the course of ten years.

I hope to have a total of at least 100,000 hours by 2018.

I started on Falcon and F-19 ..... toooooooo many years ago!

Not even going to try and calculate the hours! :biggrin:

Count me as one of the 'not even a close guess' crew. I started in 1988 with the original 'Falcon' and 'Jet' on an IBM 8086 and had all the best since.

Amateurs! :smile:

My first flight sim was Flight Simulator...for the Timex Sinclair ZX81 in 1982. Written in BASIC...loaded with a cassette tape.

And just about every one since then I've at least tried...at least until there started being reviews and I started being picky....

FastCargo

OK Fastcargo, I can't match yours. . .

But I remember running home from primary school at lunchtime to play "Flight Simulator" for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum (colour graphics over your ZX81, woo-hoo!) and that must have been the very early 80s.

Then, DI Apache for ZX Spectrum (Green Ground, Blue Sky, wireframe tanks and choppers, campaign map like a chessboard with a player-influenced frontline, and re-arming in-mission at FARPs - they could do it back then on 48K - yes K - memory, why not now? Saddle up with more Hellfires, off to conquer another square)

Falcon for the Atari "Home computer" that stole the Spectrum's crown, then the Gunship port for the same machine.

Then, the PC, and the revelation that was "Jane's" - every sim they released, first time around, or on ebay (got myself Fighters Anthology last year - fires up every time on XP, no fiddling required, what a blast). And the proud owner of about every major PC sim ever going since then - built myself a Voodoo 1 machine from old bits off ebay - just to fly Hind in 3dfx :crazy:

Red Baron 3d, Flanker 2.0, then 2.5, then LOMAC, MCFS 1,2,3, OFF, MAW, IL2, BoB1, BoB2, MA, Dawn Patrol, Team Apache, Team Alligator, Gunship!

Light relief, in the form of Ace Combat whatever for PS1, Crimson Skies, SWON, Heroes of the Pacific, and even that crappy Top Gun series :sorry:

And now. . . Thirdwire in all its variants - more time modding than flying, but plenty of both. . .

Man, I've got to get out more :blush:

OK Fastcargo, I can't match yours. . .

But I remember running home from primary school at lunchtime to play "Flight Simulator" for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum (colour graphics over your ZX81, woo-hoo!) and that must have been the very early 80s.

Then, DI Apache for ZX Spectrum (Green Ground, Blue Sky, wireframe tanks and choppers, campaign map like a chessboard with a player-influenced frontline, and re-arming in-mission at FARPs - they could do it back then on 48K - yes K - memory, why not now? Saddle up with more Hellfires, off to conquer another square)

Falcon for the Atari "Home computer" that stole the Spectrum's crown, then the Gunship port for the same machine.

Then, the PC, and the revelation that was "Jane's" - every sim they released, first time around, or on ebay (got myself Fighters Anthology last year - fires up every time on XP, no fiddling required, what a blast). And the proud owner of about every major PC sim ever going since then - built myself a Voodoo 1 machine from old bits off ebay - just to fly Hind in 3dfx :crazy:

Red Baron 3d, Flanker 2.0, then 2.5, then LOMAC, MCFS 1,2,3, OFF, MAW, IL2, BoB1, BoB2, MA, Dawn Patrol, Team Apache, Team Alligator, Gunship!

Light relief, in the form of Ace Combat whatever for PS1, Crimson Skies, SWON, Heroes of the Pacific, and even that crappy Top Gun series :sorry:

And now. . . Thirdwire in all its variants - more time modding than flying, but plenty of both. . .

Man, I've got to get out more :blush:

Anybody remember the Microprose company? F-15 Strike Eagle?

Yes, that was "my" start in the flightsim world:

F-14 Fleet Defender

F-15 Strike Eagle (2+3)

F-19 Stealth Fighter

F-117A Nighthawk

That was my first sim in on the C64.

Ouch...I started in about 1973 at the U. of Maryland with a Starship Enterprize simulation on a mainframe.

Then in 1982, I graduated to an Apple 2 flight sim (you had to program in each move)... then in 1991 full bore with LucasArts Their Finest Hour on a laptop...and been pretty continous since then. So that is about 14 hours-21 hours per week since then.

Ah yes, F-15 SE 1. Your carrier (?) was a blue triangle. Enemy targets were brown triangles. The water was blue, the land was tan. Enemy planes were a few triangles stuck together. When you shot them, these weird triangle-shaped streaks came out of them...

Gunship wasn't much better. F-19 was the ground-breaking one for graphics. You could tell what was what by SIGHT. An F-5, F-4, MiG-21, all could be id'd on SIGHT. It was amazing!