Sign in to follow this  
delta6

mock-up cockpits for SF

I am currently in charge of putting 4 - 6 aircraft cockpit/simulators together for the VietNam "River Rat" association, so these Viet Nam vets can play Strike Fighters and combat each other after drinking lot of booze. I am trying to find a decent website that sell pre-fab cockpits for home PC computers. I also need some tech support aon how I can rig up thes computer together so they can all fly togther. I know of sites on line to connect to, but worried about speed and performance when you have six guys flying together. Any help would be most greatful.

Tech support for hooking up the PCs is easy...

I can get you there:

1. each PC has to have an ethernet port

2. each PC has to have a unique TCP/IP address on the same subnet with the same subnet mask, the simplest way to achieve this is with an off-the-shelf 4-port router which automatically configures the ethernet settings for any pc plugged into it.

3. If you are using only 4 pits, a 4-port router will do the job by itself since it can handle 4 pcs, if you are going to use more than 4, you have several options:

a. use a wireless router and make sure the additional PCs support wireless ethernet

b. get an 8-port switch and hook all of the pcs to the 8-port, then hook the 8-port switch to the 4-port router.

c. get just the 8-port switch and manually configure the ip addresses/subnet masks.

If you have internet, you may want to use the 4-port router so all pcs can share the internet connection.

If you don't have internet, you can fearlessly drop all firewalls/anti-virus software while playing to make connecting easier and more reliable.

So in short:

You need either a router, a switch, or both and an ethernet cable for each pc to be hardwired to the router or switch, possible needing one more cable to connect a router to the switch if you choose to get both.

I am against using wireless for this purpose since you want solid reliable fast comms for gaming.

If you have some cash (since this will cost a lot more than 10/100 ethernet hardware), make sure each PC has a gigabit ethernet port and that you use a gigabit ethernet switch to join them all together.

Most new PCs come with gigabit lan, so it is the switch that will cost a lot more.

The in-game interface makes it very easy to connect once you have all the pcs on a LAN together (i.e. hardwired to the same switch).

One person chooses to be host, the others refresh their list to find the host and join it.

If you had 6 pcs... you could have more than one host so that several different groups could be flying in separate games.

i.e. 1 guy could host a dogfight while another guy could host a coop, while the remaining people choose whichever host they want to play on.