Sign in to follow this  
Canadair

anti-shipping missions in campaign

I guess the system does not generate them in campaign, just like the armed recon mission.

But should a squadron is tasked with anti-ship in its entry in campaign data.ini, and it actually gets an anti-ship mission, then the campaign CTD at briefing screen. In the least this is what I obesrved, and narrowed, and unlike the armed_recon missions which are ignored by the campaign engine?

Any other idea?

Of course "shipping stations" in campaign can be setup in targets terrain.ini, like one or more ships. but in this case only the ship tasked as primary objective is targetable, and not the whole convoy, again what I observed. Is there a way to make them targetable, such as the trucks in the scenary?

Actually the apparent inabiliy to track at leisure in SFP1, other that primary and AAA, and SAM launchers and radar and occasional trucks spoils some fun with guided weapons

any other idea or comments? for sure a "free" targeting would be a good add-on, such as "E" or "T" key scanning ALL the targets available and visable.

Comments

I guess the system does not generate them in campaign, just like the armed recon mission.

But should a squadron is tasked with anti-ship in its entry in campaign data.ini, and it actually gets an anti-ship mission, then the campaign CTD at briefing screen. In the least this is what I obesrved, and narrowed, and unlike the armed_recon missions which are ignored by the campaign engine?

What campaign were you playing?

It's true, you have to set ANTI_SHIP up to 100 to get such a mission during a campaign, but once I got them I never had a CTD.

What campaign were you playing?

It's true, you have to set ANTI_SHIP up to 100 to get such a mission during a campaign, but once I got them I never had a CTD.

Wait Wait; do you get Antiship mission in campaigns?

If I have a squadron tasked 100 anti ship, I always get CTD; tested in DBS-72 campaign, and lybia redone by wrench , and madagascar. Oh and desert, standard burning sand

Which version of the game? SF? WoV? WoE???

My revamped Lybia has a serious problem with anti-shipping missions. There's an upgrade to my upgrade that, iirc, fixes that. I never did figure out why it pointed me to the middle of Sahara desert...aliens maybe??

If you create 'convoy' stations via the targets ini, you can be tasked to hit them. (WW2 Lybia does this)

Do you get a error message with the CTD??? If your missing the ships, that'll happen. If routes aren't defined, that'll happen. If the terrain dosen't support AS missions (Range, Red Range, ANW series), that might happen.

The stock SF campaign had AS missions -- I remember playing them. Never played the campaing in WoE, but they're there in single missions. WoV, oth, propably don't -- not much to shoot at in Southeast Asia (don't want to offend the Russkies and Chinese folks whilst blowing up their ships as they bring impliments of dee-struction to the enemy - no, sorry, can't do it!)

Wrench

kevin stein

Which version of the game? SF? WoV? WoE???

My revamped Lybia has a serious problem with anti-shipping missions. There's an upgrade to my upgrade that, iirc, fixes that. I never did figure out why it pointed me to the middle of Sahara desert...aliens maybe??

If you create 'convoy' stations via the targets ini, you can be tasked to hit them. (WW2 Lybia does this)

Do you get a error message with the CTD??? If your missing the ships, that'll happen. If routes aren't defined, that'll happen. If the terrain dosen't support AS missions (Range, Red Range, ANW series), that might happen.

The stock SF campaign had AS missions -- I remember playing them. Never played the campaing in WoE, but they're there in single missions. WoV, oth, propably don't -- not much to shoot at in Southeast Asia (don't want to offend the Russkies and Chinese folks whilst blowing up their ships as they bring impliments of dee-struction to the enemy - no, sorry, can't do it!)

Wrench

kevin stein

Thx Wrench, for answer

I am talking about SF and I was mentioning the Burning sand campaign; unmodded otherwise but for a squadron for anti-ship 100, it CTD immediatley after the little window at campaing begining where you type the save file name.

And I do get strike generated on convoy ststions, which are obviously, STRIKE missions at stationary ship groups, used as ground targets.

I will try with other terrains.

any idea for the targeting questions?

Kevin, I think that the anti-shipping issue is with WOE itself as every terrain that I have tried has the same issue (but only with Blue Air as Red Air anti-boat missions work well). Posted it over at 3Wire and TK said he would look into it.

It seems that the IP gets hurled off the map, and while other WP are "draggable" in the mission map planning screen, the IP is visible, but unmoveable...

this drives me nuts as I think I am one of four people who actually use the anti-boat missions (especially with a Super Etendard around now) so back to CAS and "Y" and watching that liar SNOOPY saw "rocking my wings now", but he does not...

"Cobra 1 check fire! Check fire! Friendly fire reported in your area"

Opps...did I just shoot down Snoopy.......again??? :rofl:

Never have seen that twerp do his job! (as in a previous thread here)

Sparky, have you checked AS missions in the WW2 maps??? Just for S&Gs, run a few and let me know. They all seem to be working for me.

Wrench

kevin stein

"Cobra 1 check fire! Check fire! Friendly fire reported in your area"

Opps...did I just shoot down Snoopy.......again??? :rofl:

Never have seen that twerp do his job! (as in a previous thread here)

Sparky, have you checked AS missions in the WW2 maps??? Just for S&Gs, run a few and let me know. They all seem to be working for me.

Wrench

kevin stein

Ok. One thing is anti-ship in campaign one thinf is random-mission

In campaign, I say again, should a squadron be tasked 100 anti ship, campaign CTD in the standard desert-campaign, korea, madagascar, lybia. I will try more but I think it is safe to say that there are NO nti-ship mission in campaign at the current patchin level. Any other idea? because I hope to be wrong

Alright, I will create a test campaign, using the Bering Strait for WOE terrain, to verify this. Anti-ship single missions work there without problem, so I'm curious what the result will be...

EDIT: And the result is in:

Big surprise!

No, not really. 2 attempts to start this test campaign = 2x CTD. :dntknw:

Edited by Gocad

Wait...Bering Strait anti-shipping single missions do not work for me in WOE either...

unless you go "Red Side" then they work fine, other wise I get the IP off the chart and it can not be drug back on chart...the other waypoints can be moved, but not the IP in this instance

BerStantiship.jpg

Also, same thing for the Okinawa map...

Works in Red Air; ie, Soviet but not for a "friendly" type airplane

Okiantiship.jpg

So GoCal is it working for you? I even tried a desert (from SFP1) terrain and the game just switched it to a recon mission over land rather than off the chart

post-22093-1200676504_thumb.jpg

Thus it's proven, anti-ship missions work for both sides in the Tunisia terrain.

Sure, this pic doesn't add a lot to my argumentation, but it looks cool. :biggrin:

Bering Strait: anti-ship missions work only for the American side. Soviet anti-ship missions become recon missions.

With all due respect single-mission anti-ship are useless.

The only way to implement in campaign is create target area and populate with ships(assigned either as misc or naval_base targets). So far this has been observed.

The only big problem is plane loadout, because the campaign system will use obvioulsy the strike loadout instead of the anti-ship loadout. For planes using guided missiles not a big deal, although you would like A-6 to use harpoons agians ship and bombs agians other things. For big soviet bomber should be no problem, since the asm (modelled either as CGR, or EOGR, or maybe ARM can attack groubd targets too), although each campaign with naval and ground targets might turn into a cruise missile party

With all due respect single-mission anti-ship are useless.

Not mind, I have ship that fire SAM's at you, making them not so useless.

Not mind, I have ship that fire SAM's at you, making them not so useless.

I meant are useless, in terms that I was loking for a way to implement anti-ship in campaign fror a "Red Storm Rising" project.

And I already faced SAM-launghing ships..sigh

So the Tunisia terrain in WOE has working anti-ship missions...

And you said the American side in Bering St? So what are the French? Let me try something else...

And you said the American side in Bering St? So what are the French? Let me try something else...

Even the Royal Air Force gets a working anti-ship mission in Bering Strait:

post-22093-1200690008_thumb.jpg

I was a bit surprised at first, because I have never received an anti-ship mission near Neskan Bay, but I once got there two stationary cargo ships and a convoy consisting of three ships were waiting for me.

Also, who needs missiles when you fly a real aircraft? :biggrin:

Edited by Gocad

I tried several American planes (like F-105) and had the same problem...this is weird

I changed out a squadron in one of the WOE campaigns to a Navy squadron flying exclusively anti-shipping missions. worked most of the time. I would sometimes get a CTD and sometimes the geometry would freak out and crash during the mission but most of the time worked fine.

I also have set up a War At Sea separate install where I am playing with different setups. I am using the Bering Strait terrain primarily in my single mission set ups and have had ZERO problems on that terrain with anti-ship missions. In the Germany terrain I have a 20% CTD rate.

Edited by Typhoid

well......

anti-shipping just doesn't work too well in campaigns even after setting the missions to anti-ship exclusively. The game engine doesn't like it in campaign mode.

I do get some, but just not realistic or reliably.

single missions though do work well. Just can't generate from a carrier.

I got better results from a land-based squadron dedicated to anti-shipping, but that only works less than half the time. From a carrier based squadron the game engine wants to assign other missions even when those are set to zero.

and the targets show up in strange places - like in the middle of the south of France......

ah well.......

Odd...in the single mission generator it always throws the IP off the map...circles the targets fine, but the navigation goes out the window...

Odd...in the single mission generator it always throws the IP off the map...circles the targets fine, but the navigation goes out the window...

always?

I get one in about 20 that goes haywire in single mission.

very odd.

just the opposite...mine has worked maybe once...depending on the map, a Soviet mission will work, but then not 100% either...yes reported to 3wire...