Sign in to follow this  
Canadair

questions to cuba designers

This comes form the types of cuba latest version.

first question. Is there a reason why soviet cargo and wrship are embedded in the terrain instead of using the groundobjects?

Second question:

[TargetType079]

Name=Freighter2

FullName=Russian Freighter

ModelName=shipcargo2.LOD

TargetType=NAVAL_BASE

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=700

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=100.0

ArmorValue=400.0

ArmorType=0

RepairRate=0

StartDetectChance=80

StartIdentifiedChance=80

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=10000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=LargeTallStructureCollapse

DestroyedModel=shipcargo2_w <-------------------------------

SecondaryEffect=ShipDestroyedEffect

SecondaryChance=100

in the highlited line is missing the extension .lod . The destroyed model (shipcargo2_W) is included obviously in the terrrain folder. Is it a mistake or a typo? I don't think so, since in this enrty, which is a standard entry from the standard unmodded desert types we read:

[TargetType002]

Name=barrack2

FullName=Barrack

ModelName=barrack2.lod

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=20

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=10.0

ArmorValue=0.0

ArmorType=0

RepairRate=0.150

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

MaxVisibleDist=8000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=MediumShortStructureCollapse

DestroyedModel=barrack2_destroyed <----------- AGAIN .lod is missing

SecondaryChance=25

SecondaryEffect=SmallExplosionEffect

Now being this barrack a standard object, is it a mistake, (the missing of .lod) of ALL the types.ini written so far, (according to the standard one) or is it a proper entry, i.e. extension .lod is not needed in the destroyed model line?

I know is it easy to test bombing and targeting a barrack, but still, I am curious..

Thanks

Embedding them in the terran makes double damn sure they show up!! Expecially for docked ships.

Oddly enough, in the WW2 maps, at least the PTO one's I'm fiddling with, I have most of the ships set to "UseGroundObject=TRUE", and they show up.

As for the destroyed lods, for the stock items, they're inside the terrain cat. (I should know -- I pulled most of them out to make them 'standard' terrain objects for destroyed cities and such)

As to the lod extension, it dosn't seem to be used, even on stock items, like the barracks shown. My understanding is, that if it's a vehicle, say the M35 truck, since it uses the GroundObject, the GO's data ini info is used damaged and destroyed models.

Personally, I always add the destroyed and secondard effects when working in the terrain types ini:

[TargetType068]

Name=USTruck

FullName=Truck

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=25

UseGroundObject=TRUE

GroundObjectType=M35A2

RepairRate=0.555

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

MaxVisibleDist=8000.0

DestroyedEffect=VehicleFireEffect

DestroyedModel=Truck_Destroyed.lod

SecondaryEffect=SmallRocketGroundExplosion

SecondaryChance=100

[TargetType069]

Name=SovietTruck

FullName=Truck

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=25

UseGroundObject=TRUE

GroundObjectType=ZIL-157

RepairRate=0.555

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

MaxVisibleDist=8000.0

DestroyedEffect=VehicleFireEffect

DestroyedModel=Truck_Destroyed.lod

SecondaryEffect=SmallRocketGroundExplosion

SecondaryChance=100

The 'smallrocketgroundexplosion' gives a nice effect.

As to docked ships, ALWAYS check in the data ini for the vessel, as they won't have their stack's smoking. Depengind on how you want them, you'll have to pull the effects off the data ini:

[TargetType148]

Name=CargoShip

FullName=Cargo Ship

TargetType=WAREHOUSE

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=1000

UseGroundObject=TRUE

GroundObjectType=CargoShip

RepairRate=0.555

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

MaxVisibleDist=8000.0

DestroyedEffect=ShipDestroyedEffect

DamagedModel=CargoShip_damaged.LOD

SecondaryEffect=LargeOilFire

DestroyedModel=CargoShip_destroyed.LOD

SecondaryChance=100

ExhaustEmitterName=ShipSmoke

ExhaustPosition=0.00,-32.86,24.81

ExhaustEmitterSize=1.0

Here, you'll note the LODs called out. OTH, it seems like the game engine dosen't seem to care...

I know this isn't anwsering your questions; but it looks like it might work both way. Docked/parked/moored/whateve ships I've always used the extensions, and they seem to work. Biuldings and such, I don't think it matters.

Wrench

kevin stein

E

Here, you'll note the LODs called out. OTH, it seems like the game engine dosen't seem to care...

I know this isn't anwsering your questions; but it looks like it might work both way. Docked/parked/moored/whateve ships I've always used the extensions, and they seem to work. Biuldings and such, I don't think it matters.

Wrench

kevin stein

yeah seems that the engine does not care; OTH very strange; how many cockpit added to planes and planes not usable because of the missing .ini extension in the data; the game is indeed quite picky with extension and in general!

the question is: let's bomb a docked ship in cuba, and see what happens..

I'll write it on the list of SFP1 experiments to be done hanging at the monitor's side..

Bomb a docked ship and you'll see the damaged model. The warships are unchanged physically, just with a black/grey texture, as that's all I had to work with. The tankers and cargo ships will switch to their damaged .lod as well.

I put them in the terrain folder because it was cleaner. I didn't want to make another ground object just so I can have a ship without it's smoke effect. I didn't want the effect for the docked ships.

You'll also see "TargetType=NAVAL_BASE". This is so they are used by the game as targets for air strikes during the campaign.

Edited by JSF_Aggie

What he said!!

That "NAVAL_BASE" thing is good to know...looks like I'm making a few changes in the Okinawa types ini...take the smoke out (which might not be good, as there are ships at convoy stations that need it...hmmmmm).

More things to experiment with!

Wrench

kevin stein

Bomb a docked ship and you'll see the damaged model. The warships are unchanged physically, just with a black/grey texture, as that's all I had to work with. The tankers and cargo ships will switch to their damaged .lod as well.

I put them in the terrain folder because it was cleaner. I didn't want to make another ground object just so I can have a ship without it's smoke effect. I didn't want the effect for the docked ships.

You'll also see "TargetType=NAVAL_BASE". This is so they are used by the game as targets for air strikes during the campaign.

Thx for the explanations JSF. I had noticed already and used the Naval_base entry and used in some campaigns; also MISC could work for ship, but naval_base is more direct, since MISC wil necessarily include stuff other than ships.

Intesresting that .lod extension is not required in this case. A little case of "forgiveness" from the demanding SFP1'inis!