I'm sure it's been asked before, and I even skimmed through the KB (which I almost never do) before posting. BUT;

What's the deal with the F-4's "dirty exhaust emitter"? It looks okay as long as the conditions are right, but it usually looks purple and it blows sideways from the engine. Is there a replacement or fix for this?

you've no idea how much flak I've taken because of the purple exhaust in my videos.

There's a brief thread on SimHQ on purple exhaust. Relates it to using 16-bit color setting. Don't know about the sidewalks exhaust, although now that you mentioned it, I've noticed it a couple of times and it didn't register. I've been tweaking exhaust settings in the Particles.ini file, maybe a typo or extra space in there somewhere.

so does this mean that as long as I have special effects set on "low", I'll have purple exhaust?

so does this mean that as long as I have special effects set on "low", I'll have purple exhaust?

I think it would be from setting your Graphic Option for Resolution to x 16 instead of x 32 that would create this effect, if it is related to 16 bit.

Is this in SFP1 or WOE or WOV? If its SFP1, then when I remember it doing the funky colors under -16...how long since you updated your video drivers?

Is this in SFP1 or WOE or WOV? If its SFP1, then when I remember it doing the funky colors under -16...how long since you updated your video drivers?

This is SFP1. I updated my driver last month, and no, there isn't a new one out there that I know of. I tried putting the graphics setting to x32, and the smoke looks good, but I can't dogfight because my frame rate drops as soon as I get close to an enemy and then everything goes all choppy. There's gotta be another smoke effect out there.... somewhere.... please?

Have you tried the hollywood effects pack? I mean, look at the smoke/exhaust there and compare it to the stock values, then move left of the real number line to "degrade" the exhaust

seems like that should reduce the smoke while keeping it from being purple

Sounds like it's worth a try. It'll check it out and either complain when it doesn't work or be quiet and happy when it does.

Purple smoke emmitter? Sounds like your Lava Lamp might be causing feed back with the eight trac......hope you can fix it before its time to walk the pet rock.....

PS updated my ati drivers and my purple haze cleared

Sounds like it's worth a try. It'll check it out and either complain when it doesn't work or be quiet and happy when it does.

Now that is funny!

This is SFP1. I updated my driver last month, and no, there isn't a new one out there that I know of. I tried putting the graphics setting to x32, and the smoke looks good, but I can't dogfight because my frame rate drops as soon as I get close to an enemy and then everything goes all choppy. There's gotta be another smoke effect out there.... somewhere.... please?

What are your computer specs?

The ThirdWire sims usually run pretty smooth even with high detail settings. Turn off mirrors and shadows first. If that doesn't help, try tuning down some of the other graphic details like visibility distance, etc.

What are your computer specs?

The ThirdWire sims usually run pretty smooth even with high detail settings. Turn off mirrors and shadows first. If that doesn't help, try tuning down some of the other graphic details like visibility distance, etc.

comp specs= Dell Demension 2100, 997 Megahertz on the Motherboard, 512Mb RAM (as much as possible), ATI Radeon 9250 PCI video card (256MB DDR).

wow, that sounds nerdy.

I already have all the graphics set to the lowest possible settings with mirrors, shadow and reflection turned off and horizon set to "near". Otherwise the frame rate drops like an F-4 with no gas and the whole game crashes. It's VERY obvious that I need a better computer to run SF, but I have no money, as usual. I was hoping to find an exhaust file that I could just substitute in for the dirty exhaust emitter one, 'cause this is just gonna lead to a conclusion I've met many times before, that I need to get a new comp.

and when I do, It'll be so full of SFP1/WoV/WoE/FE/WoI that it'll make EVERYBODY jealous!! AHAHAHAHA!!!!!1!!!!!!

BTW- I'll go look for newer driver now, just in case.

Try using the CleanExhaustEmitter for now. Make a backup of the ParticleSystem.ini file, then cut and paste the CleanExhaustEmitter data over the DirtyExhaustEmitter data in the ParticleSystem file, then rename the second CleanExhaustEmitter to DirtyExhaustEmitter. You won't have as much exhaust coming out of the F-4, but maybe it'll help the framerates on 32-bit.

tried the hollywood effects pack, frame rates were unbearable. whine whine whine complain whine b1tch moan grump. Now then!

I'll do the clean exhaust thing. Maybe I can make the particles REALLY dense.

btw, I was told that we'd be getting a "new" computer, but it turned out to be a mundo clunker that lagged running "paint". Someday....

uh...about the hollywood effects...did you read my suggestion? :smile: Look at the values in the files, compare that with the default files...then since those are moved to the "right" to make them more spectacular...move the values in the back up of your default files to the "left"; in effect, lesser values in order to reduce the amount of "particles" the game code is telling your PC/GPU to produce

Was not suggesting to use it, as since it enhances the values it makes them prettier...

DIVERGENT HEADING: of course we know that real explosions do not mirror what hollywood has shown us...now sometimes explosions are spectacular, then again most are just the dirt/dust moving