Sign in to follow this  
sparkomatic

PC issue

So my other computer will not power up at all...have taken it to like 3 different people/shops and no one can figure it out.

Changed out the power switch, tested the PSU, nada. A Japanese computer store even took the components out and tested them separately and things work...they took a resistance-thingy to it and found no bad wires.

So what could be wrong? Tried a different motherboard, nada. I know what the effects of bad ram looks like, not it. Bad HDD, not it.

Suggestions?

A short somewhere?

Also, sometimes I've seen this happen on a motherboard with a loose power connector on the motherboard. The solder point is worn and only just makes contact...

FastCargo

good suggestion, but we changed out the mobo to see if that was it...they changed out the power button, PSU, just about everything we could imagine to test it...parts work fine separately, but not together

Main thing is if I have to build another one, I want to know what can be salvaged...so I guess I would have to buy a new case and start adding parts until it stops working, then back up from there

What about the basics? Just CPU, RAM, mobo, video, and PSU. Did that work? I would guess a short in the case myself.

stripped it down to mobo cpu and ram...changed the PSU and the mobo already...I am beginning to think it is something goofey with the case...

I went to google and man there are too many moronic "my computer is dead" threads to purge through...surprised the Internet is not full yet

Guest Bounder

did you check the lil watch battery on the board,sometimes when that is "dead" all types of "funky" things happen?

that is actually a really good suggestion...I read that on another forum, but it was buried in the "did you plug it in" advice and thus skimmed it...just weird enough to try...