Sign in to follow this  
Canadair

Horrible Finding - Yes its true - ASUW doesn't work well

I am surprised that no-one noticed this before. Please read along

I might be wrong but while working on the sea-air campaign that I posted about I noticed that in campaigns, AI flights NOT belonging to your flight but tasked STRIKE , won't WON'T launch missiles. Tested with Tu-16C and Kent missiles, with launches succesful undel player control. Then tested on the Range with maverick armed F-16. no launches. F-16 with paveways. No launches. I have seen thoguh, I remeber dumb bomb releases and harm launches, in the least in Wov. So basically, no "smart" pr guided weapon is launched by AI flights? I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG. could you please all check this?

Should that be true this is a MAJOR issue, that really relegates SFP behind , and before the the guided ammo era? What is the point of weapon pack if AI can' use it?This stops from building elaborate campaigns

PLEASE, PLEASE investigate and let's all run tests on this issue..

I am surprised that no-one noticed this before. Please read along

I might be wrong but while working on the sea-air campaign that I posted about I noticed that in campaigns, AI flights NOT belonging to your flight but tasked STRIKE , won't WON'T launch missiles. Tested with Tu-16C and Kent missiles, with launches succesful undel player control. Then tested on the Range with maverick armed F-16. no launches. F-16 with paveways. No launches. I have seen thoguh, I remeber dumb bomb releases and harm launches, in the least in Wov. So basically, no "smart" pr guided weapon is launched by AI flights? I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG. could you please all check this?

Should that be true this is a MAJOR issue, that really relegates SFP behind , and before the the guided ammo era? What is the point of weapon pack if AI can' use it?This stops from building elaborate campaigns

PLEASE, PLEASE investigate and let's all run tests on this issue..

Known bug for couple years now.

Must have escaped me for a couple of years now of every other day SFP1ing.

I am quite disappointed about it, and this jeopardize a lot many projects I had in mind.

I suppose there in no known work around?

Perhaps next patch...

I posted also on 3rdwire

I remeber dumb bomb releases and harm launches, in the least in Wov. So basically, no "smart" pr guided weapon is launched by AI flights?

Since guided missiles (like the Maverick and the Paveway) were added with the SP4, TK probably did not implement a proper routine for AI flights to utilize these new types of weapons. In fact AI pilots in general have no idea how to use smart bombs. They just drop them as if they were ordinary dumb bombs... :blink:

Since guided missiles (like the Maverick and the Paveway) were added with the SP4, TK probably did not implement a proper routine for AI flights to utilize these new types of weapons. In fact AI pilots in general have no idea how to use smart bombs. They just drop them as if they were ordinary dumb bombs... :blink:

I think they don't release them at all! Anyway this is a major big deal, in the least to me, and basically confines back sfp1 to pre 80s era. I guess there is nothing to do right?

Dave, I ve been looking on 3rdwire forum and here, can't find any related post or thread, can you please help point me in the right direction so I can learn more about the subject?

I think they don't release them at all! Anyway this is a major big deal, in the least to me, and basically confines back sfp1 to pre 80s era.

The AI wingmen of your flight will use these weapons...sure, not in a very smart way, but they do use them. :yes:

Besides, in case you haven't noticed SFP1/WOV/WOE was never meant to be a post 70s aerial combat sim and from this perspective you can't blame TK for that he didn't incorporate all the features found in other sims featuring 4th and 5th generation fighters.

Furthermore I wouldn't expect much changes in this department. IIRC TK has already said that WOI won't bring some sort of avionics80 file. Which is not that surprising, given its purported time frame...

The AI wingmen of your flight will use these weapons...sure, not in a very smart way, but they do use them. :yes:

Besides, in case you haven't noticed SFP1/WOV/WOE was never meant to be a post 70s aerial combat sim and from this perspective you can't blame TK for that he didn't incorporate all the features found in other sims featuring 4th and 5th generation fighters.

Furthermore I wouldn't expect much changes in this department. IIRC TK has already said that WOI won't bring some sort of avionics80 file. Which is not that surprising, given its purported time frame...

I read about the avionics80 not being done. But I also read about new AG modes. But who knows, maybe we will get something.

and yes I know about the never-post-80 obviously, I ve only been following SFP series since the beginning.

My point is why in the hell bother with guided weapons if they can't be used but from player's controlled flight?

Basically I am a little disappointed and my bubble had burst, since I really really had this perfect GIUK scenario and campaign in mind, but since AI-flights won't launch their missiles,, well sigh bye bye big bombers formations and tomcat, bye bye fleet defense operations, and postponed defended sea lane concept.

yes definetly my bubble busrt

Doesn't AI A-10's in WOE use maverick missiles. I seem to remember seeing this myself.

Dan

Doesn't AI A-10's in WOE use maverick missiles. I seem to remember seeing this myself.

Dan

Yes they do, he means other AI flights not using guided weapons. No there isn't a work around it. It is what it is.

Yes they do, he means other AI flights not using guided weapons. No there isn't a work around it. It is what it is.

Can I ask again, where it has been discussed if anywhere? And if TK knows of this problem and perhaps feels like working on it?

Can I ask again, where it has been discussed if anywhere? And if TK knows of this problem and perhaps feels like working on it?

I can't recall where we discussed it in public, however it was brought up when we were beta testing WOE. TK is aware of it.

why in the hell bother with guided weapons if they can't be used but from player's controlled flight?

Basically I am a little disappointed and my bubble had burst, since I really really had this perfect GIUK scenario and campaign in mind, but since AI-flights won't launch their missiles,, well sigh bye bye big bombers formations and tomcat, bye bye fleet defense operations,

because the player can use them.

afaik it only affects ag ordnance so intercepting big bomber formations & defending the fleet (in air to air terms) shouldn't be impacted.

I can't recall where we discussed it in public, however it was brought up when we were beta testing WOE. TK is aware of it.

Excellent, thanks for the answer Dave. Let's hope it gets fixed

And yes fleet defnse IS impacted because if bombers are NOT launching what is the point of shooting them down?

And yes fleet defnse IS impacted because if bombers are NOT launching what is the point of shooting them down?

Target practice...

I remember this type of complaint being brought up before, the AI really won't fire anything unless it is a anti-radiation, iron bomb, or a/a. You have to remember that all of the "weapons packs" with guided weapons and such were 3rd party addons. In fact TK had no intention of adding flir and guided weapon usage until after a lot of guided weapons were being implemented in the latest weapon packs. I remember initially the guided weapons in the weapons pack could only be used against trucks and tanks, and there was no ability to attack structures until after a certain patch.

You have to give it to TK and Thirdwire, because they have been responsive to community developments and trends from the get go. Centering patches and updates around popular mods made by the community. Had this been another game or company, we would have been stuck putting around the desert and bombing targets at 20,000 ft (with a stock arsenal of Mks just so we could see the explosive effects.)

You have to give it to TK and Thirdwire, because they have been responsive to community developments and trends from the get go. Centering patches and updates around popular mods made by the community. Had this been another game or company, we would have been stuck putting around the desert and bombing targets at 20,000 ft (with a stock arsenal of Mks just so we could see the explosive effects.)

I completely give it to TK and Community ( I am just coming out a conversation with a Lomac entusaist and I was paraisng the value of SFP1's concet)

Actually I posted on 3rdwire forum, and TK answered, showing us once again, that he does really care for the community..

http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4888

If you've been following this series since the beginning I can't figure out why you're so shocked at this "horrible finding"? Its common knowledge that the AI often don't/can't use third party weapons as they should...especially against ground targets. I don't get all the apparent exasperation over this issue...its been the same since the beginning.

wait...did any one tell him that the game does not accurately model "range rate" either?

I always figured that the SF/WoV/WoE series was all about close-up, in-your-face 60's style close combat action, not long range demolition. Everything is more fun with bombs!

I always figured that the SF/WoV/WoE series was all about close-up, in-your-face 60's style close combat action, not long range demolition. Everything is more fun with bombs!

Long range works for AAM for starters, it is just the matter of making maxvisable distance higher; say 12000 for planes.

As for Asuw, it is nt just Asuw, it is AG in the whole for all AI-flights.

And yes bombs are much more fun but we have so many sweet things in weaponpack.

We can only hope it gets addressed soon

TK at 3w::

Well, first, the game isn't designed to do naval combat. Second, the game isn't designed to do strategic missile combat.

Fortunately for me, classical era SAC depended on uranium and hydrogen bombs and not missiles, although some were built they were never used (Rascal, SkyBolt, etc...). The big exception here is the Houndog missile. Shucks, I think even the B-70 was initially designed to drop basic bombs so I'm good to go here, although at B-70 style speeds, the aircraft was like a manned Houndog all by itself. :ok:

Someday, combat flight The Sim developers will move beyond the industry standard "dogfight" sim. We almost had a good start with Target For Tonight, a cancelled RAF vs Reich night strategic bombing/intercept simulation....

Target For Tonight interview ~> http://www.womengamers.com/interviews/t4t.php