Sign in to follow this  
FalconC45

Sad day

I ought a let you know that my dog Casper passed away last night very unexpectedly. Dad thinks it was kidney failure and Casper has been not quite himself before Christmas and past few weeks. We didn't recognize the signs plus he was 70 years old in human years.

So I'm a wreck (so is my folks) I'm not going to be on line a lot. Only to check my email and etc.

Casper was a beautiful Canadian bred Golden Retriver <sp> and a loyal friend. He loved people and loved the attention. I will miss his daily kisses on my face as he stood up on my footrest on my wheelchair. I will miss his sense of humor especially in the winter time when he needed to go out and he'll look at you like you're crazy saying "Moi? go out in the cold? not a chance bub.". I need to stop here, hard to type. I'll miss him A LOT.

Our grief reflects the joy we had... My sincerest condolences... :sorry:

ML

It is never easy too loose somebody you love, pet or human. sorry to hear :sad:

Sorry to hear that man! I know it is hard to loose someone you love, human or pet, I had a miniature poodle that never left my side until my other dog bit her on her head the summer of June 2005, she bled out in my arms on the way to the vet. I still miss that dog to this day! I'm sorry for your loss man, my prayers will be for you and your family tonight.

Sorry to hear that man! I know it is hard to loose someone you love, human or pet, I had a miniature poodle that never left my side until my other dog bit her on her head the summer of June 2005, she bled out in my arms on the way to the vet. I still miss that dog to this day! I'm sorry for your loss man, my prayers will be for you and your family tonight.

Thanks dude.

Loss of a dog is pretty hard.

They are very affectionate and have colorful personalities that make them such wonderful pets/friends/family members.

I find that the relatively short lifespans of dogs is the one real weakness in having them as a pet.

You get so attached to them, then 10 or 15 years later, they are gone.

Of course, unlike human relationships, if you get past grieving, you can easily find another dog that you will love as much as the last one.

But do you want to get another one after feeling such painful loss?

When I was about 7 or 8 years old, I had a parakeet that I loved.

But he jumped off my finger and landed on the floor.

I quickly discovered that our cat had hidden under the bed.

She pounced on the bird and killed it with one bite to the chest.

I never cried more for any other pet I have lost over the years.

That day, my parents went out and got me another parakeet almost identical to the one that died.

But it was never the same, and because I didn't really care for him, my mom gave him away to my Aunt.

Of course about 5 years later, I missed having a pet bird.

I was going to get another parakeet, but my dad chipped in to upgrade to a Cockatiel.

Of course he just died a week ago after almost 27 years.

While I loved that bird, he had a great personality, and I will never forget him, I have yet to shed a tear over his loss.

Besides being hardened by the stresses of life, I think over time that I have learned to invert my emotions.

Instead of grieving for his death, I am thankful for all the time I spent with him.

I have simply accepted death as a part of life and appreciate the short precious time that others have spent with me over the years.

Edited by streakeagle

Falcon, sorry to hear about your loss, I've lost a good natured friend too in the past named Bud. I can empathize... My suggestion, get a new pup. It'll never replace the pal you lost. But as you both grow closer, the sense of loss will ease to fond memories. In the process, you'll make new memories with your new friend. God bless...

Falcon, sorry to hear about your loss, I've lost a good natured friend too in the past named Bud. I can empathize... My suggestion, get a new pup. It'll never replace the pal you lost. But as you both grow closer, the sense of loss will ease to fond memories. In the process, you'll make new memories with your new friend. God bless...

Don't think We're ready yet.. but thanks for your thoughts.

Guys,

It's been awhile since I owned a dog (wifey not too fond of them), but I somehow this remembered a poem by William Jennings Bryan that captured some of the grief we had when our dog passed. I couldn't find the exact one, but it's similar to this:

Ode to a Dog

They will not go quietly, the dogs who have shared our lives.

In subtle ways they let us know their spirit still survives.

Old habits still make us think we hear a scratch at the door.

Or step back when we drop a tasty morsel on the floor.

Our feet still go around the place the food dish used to be,

And sometimes, coming home at night we miss them terribly.

And although time may bring new friends and a new food dish to fill,

That one place in our hearts belongs to them...and always will.

I am sorry to hear about ur loss. I have lost a few furry friends myself, so I know what its like. Remember all the good times with ur pet and u will have an easier time getting through this.