Sign in to follow this  
Bongodriver

You might think I'm crazy but bare with me....

OK Chaps(and Chapesses, I think there is at least 1 on the forum)

I am Making a model of an Islander for use in the sim, No I am not weird, it is more than just a civilian transport, and I believe all the mission and campaign modders in here could easily find a way to use it, at the moment I am making a model of the aircraft I currently fly, which is in UK coastguard colours (that is what I do) naturally I figured it would be cool to try my day job in one of my favourite sims :biggrin: , I am even thinking of going as far as making a 'dinghy bomb' and small orange smoke bombs, also adding a side looking flir (Ok maybe I am a little crazy) but I would be interested to see what kind of tangent this sim can be modded to. :biggrin:

p.s. I haven't given up on the Typhoon, I am just re-energizing my enthusiasm with a small divesion.

Look forward to hearing comments and views, either way I am going to build it so I can play with it

Heres a screen of the 3dsMax model in progress, and 2 pics of the 'real thing'

islander.jpgDSC_0008.jpg66680689_FYrMJe5A_CoastguardIslande.jpg

Didnt the Phillipine Navy use them too, with some weapons stations or was it Indonessia???

Looks nice. I was always wondering what the hell your avatar was :biggrin: Keep up the good work!

Go for it Craig...

Looking snazzy mate. Tell you what, stick some marine commando's on the side with guns pointing out and we're good to go :biggrin:

Where are you stationed with the CG?

Guest Sony Tuckson

nice model!!

the Belgian Army have used several BN-2 for years, both in Germany and in Belgium

I'd gladly paint one like that!

The RAF/UK Army have a few as well.

JimmyBib, I am based at Manston airport in Kent, operating for Dover coastguard.

Yes the Islander was and is used by a few military operators and yes they even strapped exploding stuff to them COOOL!!!, UK army air corps operate them, in fact most of them are out in the Ghan I think, the belgian army used them too, I got to meet some of the belgian Islander crews as they fly the Belgian equivalent to us with the North sea survey aircraft (ex-army aircraft) operated by civilians flown by current military pilots.

JimmyBib, I am based at Manston airport in Kent, operating for Dover coastguard.

Craig it wasn't you who buzzed Jeremy Clarkson and his mates when they attempted to cross the English Channel in a Toyota Pickup Truck was it as that was certainly some low flying by an Islander?

At my local airport at Shoreham we have several Trilanders operating a scheduled service on a daily basis to the Channel Islands any chance of lengthening your Islander and adding an extra engine?

Lazboy

Edited by lazboy

:biggrin: heres Jeremy giving a wave, sadly I was on days off that day and my boss did the flight, althought I was on telly recently on Three men in another boat.

DSC_0043.jpg

Very nice matey......keep up the great work. :good:

Aboslutely go fir it!!! I always thought they looked kinda cool anyway.

Wrench

kevin stein

:biggrin: heres Jeremy giving a wave, sadly I was on days off that day and my boss did the flight, althought I was on telly recently on Three men in another boat.

Some pretty impressive flying and a good advertisment for you guys flying skills.

I will for one love to fly the Islander should you release it and there are a host of skins that I would love to have ago at doing for it should you also release the template.

I have seen a few Islanders operating in the skies of Iraq as intelligence gathering platforms and also shadowing convoys for which I believe they provide radio jamming protection against IAD's, unfortunately due to the nature of their work photos are few and far between.

Lazboy

Well low flying is the best part of the job, I get a nosebleed above 500' :biggrin: , we even fly low level at night(without the aid of night vision) we just hold 200' on the rad alt and pray that there is nothing big in the way :biggrin: but that is over the sea only so I guess there won't be too many objects 201 feet high

cool.... nice kite, bring it on :ninja:

btw smoke thingos and 'dinghy bomb' ... make it.

I would love to add that to my inventory of aircraft. And it can insert some british paratroopers as well

I would love to add that to my inventory of aircraft. And it can insert some british paratroopers as well

I like it!

See guys there is more to aviation than Military and Airlines, as you all know

Who knows, someday someone will make a Canadair 215

I always like this one.thanks for taking the time to bring it to life.IIRC there was an AEW or search version with a rather large nose dome.

Craig,

I saw that one on the telly.

Were the Top Gear & 3 men fly-bys a set up, or do you guys spend all your time buzzing boats in the channel?

Anyone beside me think of that Cars song when they read this thread title.

Craig, if you build it, they will come.