Sign in to follow this  

Allright, it is what it is...a quick and dirty and crappy repaint to try to replicate a Zeke...

parked_zeke.jpg

Major shape differences, of course...BUT...its to be mostly a 'scenery' item, and target. You'd normally NOT be looking at it from this angle or this close. Or should it be used as a later plane, mabe a Frank or Tony 2???

Also, who made the original; it comes from the WW2 Euro terrains (including MTO)???? I (obviously!) know it's based off Wolf's Butcher Bird...

Comments, opionion, more info, etc...please, let me know what you think.

/rantmode on:

we need more parked planes and small shipping!!! We need more terrain targets!!!

/rantmode off

:haha:

thanks!

Wrench

kevin stein

Can you use the existing Zero LOD and skins for static objects? You may want permission from the real modders to upload that...or you could poast instructions for molding at home.

Looks like a good start....perhaps adding in a shadow effect would make them appear "grounded" a bit they seem to be floating without this....Keep at it and thank you

I like it! And, being a huge fan of the Okinawa map, it is a real hoot to strafe these bad buys.

Oh, any chance to have some semblance of ground crew (yes, I am evil and they deserve to die)

Well, I've decieded NOT to use the repainted FW, I went with a parked Lily instead. But as to Sparky's question of ground crew ... that's easy...just use the Japanese Infantry that's readily avialable. They'd just need entries in the targets and types inis and then locations.

Hopefully, when the next patch comes out, it'll implement the changes from First Eagles, and allow placement of aircraft from /Aircraft folder....we can only hope

The good thing about them is, they'll shoot at you.

And, I've given both sides something else to worry about...

new_ww2_mg-gunner.jpg

courtesy of my Dev A-Team mates. Shown is the IJA AAA gunner. There's an allied one too

Hopefully, New Guines upgrade will be out this week. Then, back to the Okinawa map. On a side note, anyone know the location of Odo Island??? It'd have to be fairly close to Kuyshu, as it has to be within flying range of an H-19....expecially when carrying that fat American reporter...

Wrench

kevin stein

Imperial Japanese Army anti-aircraft machine gunner. Using the "Oz Lewis gunner" from FE, I tweeked it out to use the 7.7. I'd thought about using the Hotchiss gunner, but it didn't have the top feed magazine, like the Japanese LMGs (reskinned by Charles)

The Allies get one called "Browing_AAA". Standard M2 30cal.

The background gun is the Type 88 gun. We have a Type 96 25mm, but it never seems to show up; even when called out in the types, and placed via targets. Very strange, and quite annoying!!!! Hopefully, I'll get it working for the Defense of the Home Islands.

chistian: I hope to have your A6M7 mod done in a ''short time". Need to finish off decaling it...skin's done. You'll have to accept most of the credit for that mod -- you did 90% of the work for me! :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

Kevin, check this out:

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/JA/47/Odo.html

Odo is on Okinawa (Ryukyu)...but the Anglican pronunciation could be a couple of different options as well...but regarding range, this fits the bill also

Awesome work with the gunners on the airfield...man too long in the coming...thanks heaps!

Ah, crap!!! I don't want to put it on Oki itself, want to stay near the Home Islands. I've already chosen an island south of Kuyshu, about 150-200 km south east-ish. Has a nice flat area for the fishing village, with mountains behind it for 'him' to stick his head over as the villagers are excaping to the supposed saftey of the hills....

The MG gunners just came to me like in a flash; simply because of the 25mm guns not showing...I was trying to figure out what else could be used. That's when I realized what was missing from the WW2 side of the game ... light MG AA units. We've all seen the stock footage of emplaced water-cooled 50s (most notably the re-enactment of Kanehoe attack by John Ford; the guy shooting at Zekes -a real life CMH winner, scenes from the classic movie "Air Force", during the attack on Clark, etc, ect, and of course, etc)

Only a few seconds to tweek it, and make sure it was cool with my Team-mates. And now we have a new AA unit.

The Runway 3 airfields (small dirt strip) are getting a lot of moves of their AAA units ... they were too concentrated in the center, so I'm spreading them out around the perimeter ... I mean, it just makes sense to have them in layers (ok, like Soviet SAM doctrine) heavier, longer ranged units to the outside, medium range, smaller caliber to the 2nd inner ring - like the Type 96 that don't show-, and short range, light caliber in the middle ring.

And in the very center, One Ring to Rule Them All (sorry, couldn't resist! :rofl: )

Back to work...

Wrench

kevin stein

Comments, opionion, more info, etc...please, let me know what you think.

Wrench

kevin stein

Do you really want MY opinion Kev?

Good job Kevin. I found that when I set up the gunners (in the First Eagles version) as a AAA ground object type that they are randomly interchanged with other AAA types. Does this map do that? I solved that problem by changing the GroundObjectType to RECON and they always show up as MGAA where they are placed. Of course First Eagles doesn't have RECON ground objects so it worked for it. I have a sandbag pit that GEO gratiously made for me for First Eagles that looks good with the gunners...maybe he wouldn't mind if you used it too...if you wanted. I redid the .bmp and am going to release it for FE soon as I'm satisfied with the skin.

mgpit.jpg

If you define them directly in the types ini, then place them via the targets ini, they always show up (given allowable dates, of course). I gave them dates from 1935-1950, so that should pretty much cover all WW2!!!

I been using some bits from Polak's Object pak; there's a really nice AAA bunker for the larger guns. That little sandbag reveitment would be perfect for the MG gunners! (actually, several items from there will be showing up - a nice icky Quonset hut; which my dad hated when he was in the Phillipines 44/45 -- sweatboxes, he called 'em)

Maybe I should drop him a line...be perfect for the Home Islands airbases. (which I'm working on now); the poor dude won't look so nekked standing out there on his lonesome, waiting for Sparko to blast him!! :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

Hmmm...I thought I tried that and as long as their type was AAA the game would interchange them at random. I was trying different things at the time though. When I found something that worked like I wanted I stayed with that...and FE may be different in how it draws objects. Anyway if I can help by sending what I have just let me know. You can place these by just assigning the same co-ords as the gun. Heading will control where the opening is. :good: