Sign in to follow this  
Wolf65

EA Announces Free Battlefield Game

Electronic Arts has unveiled a free, ad-supported addition to its popular Battlefield series of games, called Battlefield Heroes.

Unlike previous entries in the franchise, Battlefield Heroes will feature "cartoon-style" graphics, along with a built-in matchmaking system to help ensure fair play by putting together gamers of equal skill, character customization options and a "deep online meta-game" which will offer numerous hours of gameplay to gamers of all levels. The game is being developed by Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment (EA DICE), the studio behind the previous Battlefield games.

"We put a different twist on this Battlefield game going with the cartoon-style graphics and gameplay," said EA DICE Senior Producer Ben Cousins. "There's something here for all types of players - be it our core Battlefield fans or casual gamers. With the new online model, we will continually add new content to keep the game fresh and keep players engaged, while integrating player feedback in real time. As a game developer, it is such a cool new way to make games."

Gerhard Florin, executive vice president at EA, added, "Online gaming garners a massive audience. People want to play games in new ways, with easier access that is quick to the fun. With Battlefield Heroes, EA brings its first major franchise to North America and Europe with a new distribution model and pricing structure adapted to the evolving way that people play."

Along with advertisements, the game will use microtransactions to generate revenue, although details of how they will be implemented were not given. Battlefield Heroes is currently scheduled for release as a free download in summer 2008.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/...attlefield-Game

I don't know. ET was designed as a for-pay expansion that was canned when they couldn't get the SP to work as they wanted (bots were brain-dead). ET:QW is what they wanted the bots to be capable of.

In lieu of just dumping all that work, they released ET as a free MP-only title that superceded RTCW's MP (which I played a lot back in the day).

I have my doubts about this "free" BF.

Well, it will be free, enough for me to at least to take a look at it when it comes out.

Even in the article it states that there will be micro payments involved, so it isn't going to be free per se. I mean, it'll be for customisation of things that you'd normally unlock in other games, like skins, decals etc. Still, it'd be interesting to see where they go with it.

I read in GFW that a new "pricing" system was being experimented with (different company)...maybe this will be EA testbed for a new pricing concept

"This is a type of shooter that focuses on fun, accessibility, and not getting shot in the face by a swearing, ultra-skilled 15 year old boy who plays the game every day for 8 hours"

I think I'm gonna like it.

From the shots I saw before, it looked kind of like Battlefield Team Fortress 2, actually.

Wait... they're doing this FREE game in 3rd person and with cartoonish design and are expecting that 15-year-old swearing players won't play it?!? Who the heck are they kidding?!? :rofl:

Guess I would be better off reinstalling BF1942... :haha:

Edited by TX3RN0BILL