Sign in to follow this  
littlesmoke

FS9/CFS2 conversion to SFP1

If one has 3DStudioMax8, is it possible to convert an aircraft to SFP1 standards without the original source file?

Guest capun

Yes and no.

First you should not convert the model without the original developer's authorization, and if you do you may as well ask him for the source code.

If you get the ok but no sources then you may be able to port them using a tool that converts the MDL file to DXF source. You loose all animation and textures in the process and just a solid model, so you need to break down the meshes, etc.

BTW the conversion is not foolproof, no GMax based MDL files can be converted and nothing newer than FS2002/CFS2 files can be done, and then it's a hit and miss if the conversion works.

Lots of work.

If you get the sources in FSDS2 format, the newer FSDS3 can export to .X format which then you can import in 3DS Max. If you get GMax sources then you can export them to .X via a couple of intermediate programs. Even with the sources, the animation may need tweaking, materials changed, etc.

I know what you are thinking...there are 32,000 planes in MSFS and your favorite one is there and you found this really cool plane and want to drop b-words with it...welcome to my world

seriously though it is easier to make the model than it is to try with someone else's work...especially given the game's penchant for hierarchies...

if you already have 3dsmax, then try it

yeah, unfortunately I can't find any good schematics or usable blue-prints for the plane I'm after. I tried starting it in 3DSM with some small profiles, but the detail is seriously lacking... I'm more than willing to do the work, as this is a beautiful model

Edited by littlesmoke

Being a purveyor of off-beat air frames, may I ask what planform has your interest?

I'd like to see something like this:

CAenemyplane.jpg

or this:

questjet.gif

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest capun

Kevin gives us old men a break. The good ole' Mk2 Eyeballs are not up to par now a days, LOL

I just can't see the tiny pictures

I'd like to see something like this:

CAenemyplane.jpg

or this:

questjet.gif

Wrench

kevin stein

The Johnny Quest Jet ?

Sorry, Cap! They were the only pictures I could find on a quick JQ search.

The bottom is Dr. Quest's jet, the 'Dart' (sometimes refered to as the 'Dragonfly jet')

This one might be a little better...

QuestJet.jpg

The top is a twin-turbo prop fighter that attacked them in the "calcutta adventure'' episode, where they picked up Hadji. Can't find any better pictures, I'll look more later

The cable cartoon channel Boomerang, has been playing them at night, so I've been trying to catch them again. Loved that show as a kid!!

Wrench

kevin stein

I prefer "The Venture Brothers"...

Brock Sampson rocks!

FastCargo

Venture Brothers is awesome! Especially the evil scientist dude and his assistant with the baritone voice...