Sign in to follow this  
sparkomatic

USNF97 and XP

- searched through reams of websites and can not seem to find a way to get it to work, other than enabling a dual - boot install

- anyone else find a way to get either USNF97 or USAF to work on an XP machine?

If it'll run in DOS, get DOSBox, that's how I play Fleet Defender, MechWarrior 2, Mega Race, X-Com...amongst others. DOSBox is a DOS emulator, no games included, so you have to own the game you want to play, first off, then install it (you can install thru DOSBox, IIRC). Once the game is installed, dust off your old DOS instruction manual and get her runnin!

- searched through reams of websites and can not seem to find a way to get it to work, other than enabling a dual - boot install

- anyone else find a way to get either USNF97 or USAF to work on an XP machine?

USAF will run in XP, if you install it on a FAT32 Harddrive it cant cope with NTFS

I was just wondering if a person had to format there hard drive with FAT32 and not NTFS and then install XP and all the updates if USAF would work properly I liked the game myself

It's no need to have xp on the same drive, you can just make a partion which runs in fat32. it is just the game itself which needs to be on a fat32 hd, or find a old hd somewhere to use with it

Ooo MechWarrior 2...

There's was decently working XP fix for Titanium Trilogy that needs no dosbox (and enables 3d acceleration)...

And getting the most out of DOSBox also requires reading its own manual and adjusting config file. Had to learn how to dumb down my joystick for RedBaron, increase memory for Blood, learn complicated mount commands for multi-cd games, increase freespace for some annoying installlers... But it's fun! :biggrin:

Or you could use D-Fend, which makes DOSbox much easier to use...

FastCargo

hey would that fat32 fix for usaf also work for iaf ?

do you still need to run usaf in a windows 98 compatibility mode too?

Maybe it will work with that game to.... on my old it wasn't nesesary to set in compatibility mode, just run it!! you can allways try it out first in xp

Bollocks to USNF97...why don't you use Fighters Anthology???? Has all the maps, and you can fly all those exceptionally cool mission sets I'd built (ok, it's a shameless plug, but what the hell!!)

Wrench

kevin stein

Bollocks to USNF97...why don't you use Fighters Anthology???? Has all the maps, and you can fly all those exceptionally cool mission sets I'd built (ok, it's a shameless plug, but what the hell!!)

Wrench

kevin stein

FA was (and still is) my favorite multiplayer flightsim. Airbase attack mode was the greatest!! Wrench, were you in an online squadron? I used to be in MEQ and then the 71st. Those were the days.

Hmm...options are cool...well dont have F/A, but do have USNF97...somewhere...wait its under the Corona

I also never got FA. I had USNF, USMF, ATF, NATO, and USNF 97. When FA came out I said "Why would I want this?" and didn't get it...of course, at the time I was still dual-booting DOS and Win9x for games...

Hey, me too! That dual boot was the set up! Best of both worlds since Win95 sucked but you had to have it for games...man, Marine Fighters, forgot about that one

Hmm...options are cool...well dont have F/A, but do have USNF97...somewhere...wait its under the Corona

Don't be hatin on FA Sparko (jk). Actually, FA was the sim that got me into WOV.

Thanks to all for those hints on gettin it to work on winXP, gonna give it a shot now.

I aint hatin'...but if it hasnt been usable due to OS conflicts in a long while, that warrants a re-direction of assets