Julhelm

Nuclear delivery techniques

Anyone have any to share?

I personally like the "over the shoulder" approach:

Using the A-5A, on approach to the target, hit the burners and accelerate to supersonic speed at between 3-10000ft.

At about 5 miles out, start pulling up.

When you hit about 80-85dgs, hit the bombrelease and let it slide out the back.

Next continue your pullup over the top and finish with an immelman into a dive to pick up speed.

Level out at 1-3000ft as the speed boost during the dive should give you time to escape the blast.

Now look as your bomb totally nails the target.

Now, since we do not have a working LABS or VERDAN system, we can use the external views to manually estimate correct release angle. With some practice you'll be able to reach astonishing levels of accuracy.

if you have a stop watch you can LAB's bomb. Just you have to be good at math and fast.

Knew a pilot who actually practiced this back in the 'Chrome Dome' days in B-47s.

That's one thing I wish we had in SF, weapons that don't detonate right when they hit the ground...

FastCargo

• Like 1

IIRC an A-6 driver said they'd do a half cuban eight, firewall the throttle and "lob" the bomb in the pull-up, keep pulling till they were straight and get going as fast as they could.

This is from an old ROTC book called Fundamentals of Aerospace Weapon Systems. Dated 1961.

labs.jpg

I send them FedEx. Hope you don't mind the rads, Harold! :wink:

Here's another pic courtesy of wikipedia.

Overtheshoulderbomb.jpg

I don't think I'd be remotely comfortable performing such a "simple" maneuver without time and time again of training repetitions.

What yield of warhead was the over-the-shoulder, for example, designed for? Certainly nothing bigger than 8kT...I wasn't aware they still made them that small. I know for certain that the former East Bloc doesn't prefer to, at least. :biggrin:

I don't think I'd be remotely comfortable performing such a "simple" maneuver without time and time again of training repetitions.

What yield of warhead was the over-the-shoulder, for example, designed for? Certainly nothing bigger than 8kT...I wasn't aware they still made them that small. I know for certain that the former East Bloc doesn't prefer to, at least. :biggrin:

Smallest I've seen was the 1.1 MT B-61 gravity weapon dropped from the B-52, Bone, and FB-111. I, personally, think the maneuvers here described were soothing thoughts for the pilot to consider as he completes his last activity on earth......................KaBoooooooooom................fade to white.

Well, you'll never catch me doing this on either side of a computer screen, I can tell you that.

Although as terrible ways to go are, I guess there's not a whole lot of difference between vaporization by little bomb vs. vaporization by huge bomb.

I don't think the crews were necessarily intended to survive such an attack.

Sorry but ive got to ask, what game is this topic about? Holly crap id love to get a sim where u can nuke stuff lol.

It's no sim in particular, this is a discussion about the real thing. However, you can fly the B-47, A-5A, and A-6A and drop nukes in the Thirdwire sims (with the appropriate mods for it).

JM, let's not forget the Buffs & Bones! :grin:

Man I should have read this before my little nuking campaign last night. I found that my A-6, F-5, and another small plane as well as the F-4 can deliver the nukes...but not the B-52..I guess I need to work on that.

I'll try some of these tactics with a smaller bomb however I did find, by trail and error, last night that the dive bombing meathod works too. (I"m no real pilot obviously...bad eye sight(hind site twenty twenty I could've had eye survery oh well too late now)

5-10 miles from target and depending on my current alititude I'll pull up to about fifteen thousand feet. Split S over the target and come straight down release at nine to ten thousand feet and get the hell out of doge. In virtual world it worked for me just fine...I may not have hit the target on the nose but the target was at least in the blast range.

As far as the real world goes you guys must have nerves or steel to do something like that...with a nuke.

Something tells me that my maneuver would get me killed in the real world. I'm thining to much stress on the plane and then some.

Well, do remember no one has ever done it. It's only been dropped by bombers in tests and in WWII, I don't think a single tactical bomber or fighter has ever dropped a live nuke in a test, just shapes.

I tried one of these manuvers but dropped the bomb off target...I still hit the target but it wasn't directly over it...the game gave me the medal of honor for that one

Or you could do it the right way in a B-1B. I've set it up to drop gravity nukes at .9 mach and 1300 AGL....it would be lower except the aim doesn't simulate timed weapons.

FC

Or you could do it the right way in a B-1B. I've set it up to drop gravity nukes at .9 mach and 1300 AGL....it would be lower except the aim doesn't simulate timed weapons.

FC

Okay..that sounds like fun. Now before I go and download a B-1B mod is there any particular one I need to get and do I need to make some tweaks?

That really sounds like a good way to deliever a nuke too.(I would try the B-52 but I can't get the bombsight to activate in the down position...its just stays up in the hud)