Sign in to follow this  
Tooner

Stock Fokker D.VII and D.VIIf lack speed, help needed

Hello gentlemen,

I'm using FE+patch+Expansion Pack 1. For a week now I've been fiddeling with the data.ini's of the stock Fokker D.VII and D.VIIf. They both seem to lack in speed. In my opinion the D.VII should do app 185 km/h at 1000m, the D.VIIf should do app. 200km/h. Ingame both don't do more than app 170/175 km/h. All these values are horizontal ( level ) speedvalues at 1000m, no climbing. I've tried changing the data.ini's of both with different SLPowerDry and MaxSpeedSL values without result. At the moment I'm flying D.VII with SLPowerDry=149140.0 and MaxSpeedSL=56.91 and D.VIIf with SLPowerDry=167782.5 and MaxSpeedSL=58.00 .

I noticed the A1 Fokkers don't seem to lack speed that much.

I would appreciate it very much if someone could help me out.

Thanks.

Regards,

Tooner

have a quick look at this

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=23068

we didn't seem to come to any consensus tho :wink:

you probably are better off fiddling with the CDO / CDL a little or the prop efficiency

DVII was no speedster either

MaxSpeedSL is more for the AI iirc and doesn't have much/any? effect on the FM

Hello p10ppy,

I know the thread you're referfing to; I've studied it,and experimented with some SLPowerDry values given there. For the CDO/CDL and/or prop efficiency I think it's over my head; I'm no brain-surgeon you know. Do the ConstantSpeed=TRUE/FALSE and MachLimited values count for something ?

Anyway thank you for taking the trouble to respond.

Regards,

Tooner

Hmmmmmm.....I just tested both (@ 100-150m, full throttle, wing leveler engaged) and they ran 183 and 193 km/h respectively. Thats about 6km/h slower than some published figures. It is less than the MaxSpeeedSL value in the data.ini though. If you're only getting 170-175km/h I'd say you need to fire your mechanic. :biggrin:

Seriously the speed difference must be due to the difference in altitude as results at or near SL come closer.

More observations...I upped the HP in the DVII to 180 and it went 189km/h, again tested at or near SL. Since the Mercedes engines (DVIIf) reportedly generate well in excess of 200hp (Wiki says 240 was possible although full throttle at low alt. damaged the engine) IMHO its a good idea to go ahead and give them enough horsepower to get them up to speed at SL. 200hp @ SL gives me 198-199km/h and mid 190's at 1000m. :ok:

Hello Tailspin,

Thanks for responding. Can you explain to me how you 'up' the HP, because with the speedvalues you give my problem would be solved.

Regards,

Tooner

Just change the SLPowerDry= value in Engine section of the FOKKERD7_DATA.INI. I have the DVII at 134226 which is in Watts and equals 180hp. I changed the DVIIf to 149139 which equals 200hp. Note the AltitudeTable data is different for the F in that the factors are higher so the higher hp should help with the high altitude performance advantage the DVIIf should have. You should experiment with the hp values to get what you want. I just picked 200hp as a starting point and got pretty close. From what I've read, I don't think its unrealistic to give the Mercedes 200+ hp @ SL. :wink: What does everyone think?

edit....After rereading your initial post, I see you already have set the hp numbers higher than I have them...and you're not getting more than 170-175 kph at those numbers? I have no idea about that? Hmmmmm...... :dntknw:

Hello Tailspin,

Appreciate your help, in fact I tested ( as you did ) with the wingleveler and came to the same findings as you did ( with the original data.ini's ). So the stock data.ini's aren't that much off the mark after all.

Now i'm going to redo some testing with different SLPowerDry settings. Thanks

Regards,

Tooner

Hello all,

Problem solved.

It seems the 'wingleveler' option is better for testing aircraft speed than trying to hold the stick steady by hand while reading the speedvalues !

Fokker DVII: SLPowerDry=137954.5, MaxSpeedSL=56.91 does 189km/h

Fokker DVIIf: SLPowerDry=167782.5, MaxSpeedSL=57.55 does 202km/h

Thanks everybody for your help.

Regards,

Tooner

Wing leveler works pretty good for most aircraft. Some fly smooth and steady, some bob a little, some bob a lot, some like the Camel 150hp tend to climb on wing leveler. I agree it is difficult to hold a plane steady enough to get a good reading without it.