Sign in to follow this  
JediMaster

A Real Bummer

Well, as of today the DoD has blocked my access to SimHQ from work. Who knows how long until this place might join it. :sorry:

They block more sites than they allow, and it can make it a major PITA to do my job when I'm researching problems and such. This is just icing on the cake.

Yup, been able to post there from work pretty much unhindered since 2000 at the various jobs I've held. This place I've been at 6 years this Friday, and it was never blocked...until now. :cray:

Aw man that sucks. Hope they don't block you from here.

I can get on here from school...

I considered posting on here between exams today, but I didn't.

I must resign myself to the permanent loss I think. I have little to no time at home/on weekends to go online, so it looks like I'll be posting no more than a couple of posts a day there now.

It's good this place was taken off the blocked list! That hacking way back when got it banned as a "phishing website".

......http://www.crackproxy.com/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zaW1ocS5jb20vZm9ydW0vdWJidGhyZWFkcy5waHA%3D&hl=3ed.........

I'm trying for ya, master Jedi!

Edited by littlesmoke

SimHQ just got blocked here at Tinker too.

Why exactly is the DOD doing this? Security reasons?

I know what DOD means...... Dougnut Of Destruction Havn't you guys ever seen SPACED INVADERS :rofl:

Why exactly is the DOD doing this? Security reasons?

Just to be assholes. IMHO. To keep people from going to sites that could damage government computer.

Just to be assholes. IMHO.

That's not new is it.

To keep people from going to sites that could damage government computer.

Then they need to get to my CAP squadron base and block facebook off my Squadron Cadet XO's computer.

They have this 2-fold justification of it beyond the obvious security one, which is silly because sites that have never known to have issues can't be "assumed" to be liable to have them. Why not block EVERY site then?

One, which is total BS, is they worry about the use of bandwidth. They don't seem to be able to grasp the idea of "demand-based" control and that the network guys can instantly switch things over to give priority to the important stuff. No, they think it has to sit idle or it won't be there when they need it.

Two, which can be understood, is the whole "people wasting time on the net" thing. What bugs me is I am perfectly capable of multitasking, going to sites like this in 5 mins of dead time and then doing other stuff. I can do about half of my job from my desk remoting in to other machines and making calls, so while I'm waiting for a PC to reboot or some other process to complete I go and surf.

Of course, they have this "all or nothing" idea, so...