Yet another experiment, that is working quite well...

f6f-5n_hellcat.jpg

Anybody know the mesh name for the back window?? I haven't been able to find it, via lod examination with my hex editor.

With that 'fix', an standard -5 could also be created.

Geo, where are you???? :wink: Expect an email from me soon... :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

Yet another experiment, that is working quite well...

Anybody know the mesh name for the back window?? I haven't been able to find it, via lod examination with my hex editor.

With that 'fix', an standard -5 could also be created.

Geo, where are you???? :wink: Expect an email from me soon... :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

sweet!

:good:

Guest capun

I think it is

CnopyFrntRer

That works; it definately covers the back window. Unfortunately, it covers the windshiedl as well!!! Oddly enough, you can see right through it from the inside; both sitting in the cockpit, and looking through it with the outside view.

I shot Geo an email...see what he comes back with. If not, we'll just 'pretend' the window isn't there (cause I'm sure not re-doing all my research and reskin in for -3E/N, as we don't have an AN/APS-4 to sling under the wing)

You all don't really care, right, if the window covered or not???

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest capun

Kevin

In some (most) cases you need either a mesh that is double sided or two meshes, one facing outwards and one facing in. This is the problem with the dreaded transparent meshes depending on what angle you are viewing.

3DS Max makes only one-sided meshes which causes the problem

Sorry I had to cut this message short, my UPS started wailing so I need to shut down the system fast.

Have you tried putting a small square/rectangular decal centered on the back glass? It has to be small so it won't cover the windshield

This is frikkin' great. I knew you would do this one Wrench. I can't wait. I love the Corsair mod you did recently and this will compliment well. When I was a kid my grandad made me a 1/48 scale Monogram model of each (working landing gear and folding wings). These are my two all time favorites.

I love the WW II stuff by Wrench and all the others.

I had the WHOLE set of Monograms 1/48 scale navy birds....loved those things! I remember to extnd the tailwheel on the Hellcat, you had to pull the hook out.

Good thing is, I've got plenty of data for VMF(N)-542, and 'some' infor for VF(n)-107. Just need decaling now.

Still fiddlling this window...I've moved the decal back nearly 10 meters, and it still covers the windscreen....very strange...maby Ill try resizing it down to 64/64...

more later...

Wrench

kevin stein

I also have a companion, the standard day fighter....

f6f5_vf3.jpg

shown in YORKTOWN markings, VF-3, circa Feb 45.

Still having the problem with the rear window decal...it covers both the back windown AND the freeking windshield...

The good thing is, there WERE several hundred -5s with the window...just not in the late war time frame.

Just a few more decals for this one, move the landing light, and it's done. But FIRST much check with Geo for permissions...even though the cockpit and LOD will not be included. Just inis, skin and decals...creating an new airplane.

Wrench

kevin stein