Sign in to follow this  
migkilla420

help the game runs at about 8 fps

hi i just got this game (despite the criticism for bugs) and it runs fine except it runs super slow at high settings. i know what your thinking. just turn down the settings. but i have a decent system capable of running this game on high. i haven tried low but medium still runs slow also about 15 fps. i applied the patch and i noticed in the readme it said that ati card may have bad performance. is it supposed to be this bad? do any other ati users have this problem. oh also no matter what video settings i change in the desktop AA aniso filtering etc it doesn't effect performance whatsoever. here are my specs

p4 1.6 gig

512 ram

radeon 9600 pro 128mb (cats 3.6)

sb audigy gamer

turn off mirrors and shadows.

Guest Sony Tuckson

check different settings from you video card driver

a good analyse of those with my system, and I almost double fps with fs2004...

so maybe some tests will help you too

thanks for the tips ill have to try it. another thing my game freezes about ten or 15 minutes into a mission and it starts making wierd sounds. it happens in all game modes. otherwise fun game. (i just learned how to use the sidewinders) i can't get the sparrows to work yet though. but ill keep at it for ten to 15 minutes at a time. oh i forgot to say that i have tried to uninstall and reinstall but still no go. i want to actually complete a mission. thanks again for the help

Guest Sony Tuckson

no good

do you have this problem with other 3d games or any other heavy program?

Sony, I remember something from Ghostrider about disabling SMARTGART in the properties or something like that for this GC when playing SFP1? Maybe I am wrong, I don't remember very well.

Also Migkilla you need your latest sound driver (if you don't have it already).

Guest Sony Tuckson

correct but since I have an Nvidia card, I don't really follow how to set correctly an ATI one.. :shock:

but SMARGART remembers me things, follow this hint :wink:

OK this is here but this is in french :wink:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/c6storage/Articles.../ATI9700pro.htm (look at the screen of the options)

you have to disable the AGP in the SMARGART. This tweak is very efficient with a radeon 9700, I hope you can use it with a 9600, I'm not sure.

Also you need that for sure your latest sound driver (you can reduce the number of channels and put all sound options to low ones).

Hope this may be of help.

thanks for the tips i will try to d/l the newest sound drivers (i think i have them). i noticed the same problem in Neverwinter Nights. i uninstalled it and haven't played it since. perhaps i ought to test it. i just changed the SMARTGART agp settings to off. so should i completly uninstall smartgart. they have an uninstaller at ati.com. um is there anything else i should know from the french site. (i can't read french) i knew shouldn't have taken spanish. thanks again for the posts. i hope i can get it going good because this game is fun.

Guest Sony Tuckson

there is much at C6

btw don't feel ashamed and post there in English whenever you want to...

there is a good community for SFP1 and a nucleus of motivated guys playing online almost everynight via HL (from +/-2130 till midnight CET) durin the week.

only imposed addon is now the Super Echo from C5, a must have in dogfight :!:

Migkilla, DON'T uninstall SMARTGART. You did the right thing to do by setting the AGP to OFF.

For your sound problem, in addition to verify your driver and reduce the number of channels in the sound options of the game, try "reverse stereo" in the same options.Don't know why but some players reported it was working better for them after that.

Hope all this is good for you.

Another thing to try is to go to Intel's site & download the current version of their Applications Accelerator. This helped me when I was having bigtime stutter problems with CFS3...

If you have a Radeon card, just make sure you have the latest DirectX and Catalyst drivers. I updated to 'em and boom, great FPS with 4x FSAA and 4x AA.

Gotta love my new Radeon 9800 PRO.

Another thing to try is reducing the hareware acceleration of your sound card and switch the setting from desktop speakers to headphones.

WOLF

hey thanks for all the posts and tips. sorry for not replying very soon i went on vacation for a few days. i have gotten it stable with no crashes. it appears i needed to reinstall the sound drivers. also i got up to about 15fps on mostly high settings with the exceptions shadows, mirrors, and view distance. thats AA 6x too so it aint that bad. (performance isn't affected by AA on my computer for some reason.) but no more freezing. boo yah! i just d/l the f-86 and im stoked. just waitin for the patch. does anyone here get purplish briefing text or slitghtly garbled text. i figure it to be a redeon related thing but just wondering. thanks again for the all the help. i really appreciate.