Sign in to follow this  
Falcon161

GeForce 8400 GS question

Recently bought World in Conflict but cant run it as I have an NVidia GeFroce FX 5200. SO now I have to upgrade my graphics card and was wondering if a GeForce 8400GS will work on a Dell Dimension 8300 with windows XP?

Here is a link to the website that has the Card I want to get Link <---- Click for link!

Edited by Falcon161

Well, you need to know if your Dell motherboard has a PCI-Express slot available for the new video card... Also, you will want to make sure that your monitor will work with the DVI port on the card....

well my FX 5200 is a PCI express. And How would I find out if my monitor will work with the DVI port?

I didnt know they even made 5200 in PCI...and you can get a 7600 for way cheaper and still run it...comes in both AGP or PCI...

Nvidia 7600GS or ATI 1300X are minimum with shader 3.0 compatibility - needed for new games

Nvidia 8500GT or ATI 2600Pro are "minimum" from Dx10 world for decent gameing

Personaly, I have 7600GT and, with 1Gb of Ram and enough proc power, even Crysis can run in playable fashion (but with low options in 1024 rez)

Cheers

My wife's laptop has the 8400GS. It is not a good card for gaming. It's the equivalent of the old FX5200 in my opinion. Tried to run FS2004 on her lappy and it was a stumbling 1 or 2 frame per second mess. Stay away from that card.

hmmm..alright thanks anybody lead me to a Graphics card that will run World in Conflict with no problems? Sparkomatic can you provide a link to a website that has what you are talking about? Cause my copy of World in Conflict is just collecting dust and I desperately need to find a good Graphics card fast. Thanks for any help guys it is much appreciated! BTW how would you exactly find out if your graphics card is either a PCI or AGP? I was just going on what my dad told me about the Card.

Edited by Falcon161

WiC is a VERY demanding game. I think if your PC is indeed AGP you need either an nvidia 7800 or 7900 or an ATI 1950 if you want it to run well.

To find out if you have AGP or PCI Express, go into the BIOS. If you see options for AGP, that's what you have. If you see something like "PEG" or at least no AGP options, you likely have PCI Express.

do you guys have any suggestions where I can find a GeForce 7900 and at least 1 GB of ram for cheap?

whoa! a little out of my price range! But thanks anyway man! Im looking for a graphics card under $90! As well as 1 or 2 gigabytes of ram for about the same.

I was wondering would a ATI RADEON X1300 Pro 256MB AGP Video Card be compatible with WIC?

A 1300 would WORK but it wouldn't be that good. Maybe you can find a 1600/1650 used somewhere? I know someone who had one and said he could "get by" in many games. He later upgraded to a 1950 himself.

What about an ATI Radeon 9550 256MB AGP 8x Video Card? Like I said I dont care if it wont run on high as long as it runs on medium graphics with no slowdown

Edited by Falcon161

How bout if yall put up a list of Graphics cards that run under $90 either ATI Radeon or NVidia Geforce based that will run world in conflict with little to no slowdown on medium settings.

Trying to get a high end APG card might be a bit of problem, a lot of the higher 7900 and 7800s are rare and still cost as much as a mid-ranged PCI-E card (which have a better interface and more speed).

Upgrading to a PCI/SLI/Crossfire mother board might be a an option. You can go to newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and find a decent dual-core (even quad core ) combo for under 400 bucks.

A mid ranged PCI express card (nvidia) will be around 100-120 bucks, plus when prices come down on them you can always by another one and SLI it.

There are some low priced ATI cards tout being able to keep up with the 8800.

YOU DO NEED A HIGH END AND STABLE power supply (no cheaper than 60 bucks if you can find it on sale.)

DDR 2 (depending on sales and promotional) will run 30-70 bucks.

You are looking at the 500-700 price range (depending on what you skimp on and what parts you can use from your old system.)

I know its rough for us APG guys, but it looks like PCI and SLI will be the only option in the very near future.

How bout if yall put up a list of Graphics cards that run under $90 either ATI Radeon or NVidia Geforce based that will run world in conflict with little to no slowdown on medium settings.

Sorry to tell you but I used to have a 1950 pro 256mb video card and it can only run med-high graphics settings with slow down.

Well 1950's is the best choice if you want good video that can play modern games like COD4 and WIC.

But 7600's are good too but they will be later over run by cheaper 1950's which is faster and etc.

Your choice or go to newegg.com which you can compare video card prices and speed.

Right, as we were saying, there aren't ANY cards under $100 that can run WiC well unless you find it used by someone who just wants to dump it.

WiC is cutting-edge 2007 game tech. No card under $100 is.

Damn! Looks like im gettin a new motherboard! Man I was tryin to avoid spending more money than I have oh well maybe dell will sell one to me cheap

Man I'm pissed!

It was my last chance to salvage my old AGP board.

I was outbid on Ebay for a old 7800 over clocked, MIB, by 1.50

the final bid was 97.50 +12 in shipping...

Edited by ironroad

damn dude it looks like we will be both forced to upgrade our mother boards! I feel your pain man it just seems like that there is no love left for us AGP guys anymore!

I bought my 1950 Pro AGP exactly a year ago, and it's been fine till now, but recent games like Crysis are really pushing it.

Unlike you, I can't get a better AGP card at ANY price. The only one made was that very limited run of 1950 XTs (only available in the UK I think) and another more recent limited run of 3850s (which seem to be gone for now) ALSO only available overseas.

I've got to upgrade as well, and I'm considering just buying a whole new PC as the difference in price will be relatively small.

I've got a 939 pin Athlon FX w/AGP, DDR, and PATA IDE.

All new CPUs/mobos are DD2/3 and everything has gone PCI-E and SATA. Forget finding a good mobo that's DDR2/3 and PCI-E that also has 2 IDE ports (to support the 4 IDE drives I have now).

Thank god im getting a laptop soon! But I know im going to have to buy A damn good laptop to play any games on it! Hopefully whichever laptop I get will have a decent video card.

Well, as long as you spend at least $1k on a laptop, you should be able to get one with a decent vid card in it.

A friend of mine bought one recently from Best Buy that had a 8800 in it and he didn't spend over 2k.

I only game on laptops anymore...cause you can game anywhere, unlike consoles or desktops.

Unless you like dragging around 20+ lbs worth of crap and trying to find a display to show it on...

And handhelds (PSP class) don't count...can't play LOMAC or SFP1 on a PSP...

FastCargo