Sign in to follow this  
peter01

Updated FMs

Available in Downloads section (or should be shortly). http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...amp;showcat=213

Not much to say here about these - its all in the Readme. And you should read that this time round.

Been away for a few weeks, so just catching up with everything.

But couple of things...

TKs new flight model is great. Far and away the best yet for WW1 planes around. Actually, really suitable for any prop plane, you can do a lot in terms of feel/motion. But they are awfully hard to do and get right, it takes a large amount of time, mainly tweaking, and then tweaking and tweaking. Everything has to be just right. I've got the hang of it I'd say, but yet still, progress is slow.

I doubt TK will change the flight model or AI in a patch. On further testing and playing, everything seems fine.

I do hope he fixes the many gaphical issues tho. And does a weapons/gun editor soon - the damage inflicted by mgs is arcadish. And hope he includes a blipping sound :smile:

Anyway, have fun, and let me know if there are any issues. I won't update these particular FMs again for a while, but it'll be good to know what you think, and of course, if there are major issues, I will look at them.

Edited by peter01

thank you very much

your work is always welcome

like you i think that TK will not change the flight model may be the IA but for jet fighter not propeler plane

your new FM are very agressive and vicius too

fabulous

That was quick :lol:

If you remember the early days in FE, its amazing how TK has transformed the AI. They were barely acceptable initially, and now are about as good as it gets. :good:

Hello Peter01,

I like agressive and vicious FM's ! Thank you for your work.

Regards,

Tooner

My flight of D.VIIf got wiped out by Hanriots. And we barely scratched them...

Had a long forgotten feeling of being shot from all directions at once. :good:

Thanks Peter for your hard work. just two things were do's the AIRCRAFTOBJECT file go ?

I do find the Fokker DR1 in the new Expansion Pack tends to climb to much (has a nose up tendancy) I have to keep the joystick pushed forward. I do use hard setting for flight. The Capun DR1 flys just right for me.

How can I stop it from climbing or was it like that.

Once again many thanks and lets hop Tk do's something about the distance terrain haze tried every thing but no good.

were do's the AIRCRAFTOBJECT file go ?

Straight into Objects folder

Thanks Peter for your hard work. just two things were do's the AIRCRAFTOBJECT file go ?

I do find the Fokker DR1 in the new Expansion Pack tends to climb to much (has a nose up tendancy) I have to keep the joystick pushed forward. I do use hard setting for flight. The Capun DR1 flys just right for me.

Once again many thanks and lets hop Tk do's something about the distance terrain haze tried every thing but no good.

Many aircraft of the period were "tail heavy" in flight and required constant forward pressure on the stick to fly level.

SO far I have flown the german planes and they seem pretty close to a good match. I took your Alb D5a and changed it slightly for a version of the alb D4 and took the D3 ini and changed it enough to make it a D3 OAW. I think the albs were way under modeled in the FM and this helped alot. I do find the albs wanting to be nose heavy which is a bit different but not a real issue just and observation.

I will try the allied planes this week and post more feedback.

There is a few things that can be done, but the FM is very finely tuned (it and the camel are the money ones for TK), and any change makes it less ... well, less nice. I fiddled with this early to give it better rudder, and realised that if you were to make any changes, it would need to be extensive, its so highly tweaked for its design, there are no easy or quick improvements.

But if you are keen to eliminate the tail heaviness...the easiest change is to comment out AutoTrim. That is replace the line

AutoTrimLimit=0.0

with

//AutoTrimLimit=0.0

and then try it.

SO far I have flown the german planes and they seem pretty close to a good match. I took your Alb D5a and changed it slightly for a version of the alb D4 and took the D3 ini and changed it enough to make it a D3 OAW. I think the albs were way under modeled in the FM and this helped alot. I do find the albs wanting to be nose heavy which is a bit different but not a real issue just and observation.

I will try the allied planes this week and post more feedback.

I'm not sure what you mean FC, I didn't release an Alb Dv or Dva. They and D3s and a few others in late 1917-1918 are next on my list. They probably were not that good in this period, but I'd agree with you comparatively they are getting the short end of the stick :rolleyes: - TK seems to have something about Albs.

Thanks for your comments about these tho, and hanriot etc (ah, long story, but I think its okay), I'm always interested in views about the comparative performance of planes, in the game, and how they actually performed in real life.

Edited by peter01

I know I said I wouldn't be updating these FMs for a while...but there you go.

Posted another Fokker D7 FM. Bit different to last.

Have been working on this a while, and a few things fell into place on the w/e, so feel its good to release now ( but a bit of bouncing on takeoff for the player only in Hard FM).

So it needs a bit more work, but it will stay pretty much as is... powerful smooth solid capable (excellent AI too), but still jaunty and I'd say with a good feel. Its a combination that wasn't easy to achieve.... as i said before, tweaking, tweaking!!!

Edited by peter01

Hello Peter01,

Thanks for your work ! Tested the new FM right away and I like it. The Fokker is a little nervous but to me it seems to climb a little faster ( horizontal flight ) and it holds it's speed and 'snappiness' longer in vertical manoeuvres. Great work.

Regards,

Tooner

Hello Peter01,

Thanks for your work ! Tested the new FM right away and I like it. The Fokker is a little nervous but to me it seems to climb a little faster ( horizontal flight ) and it holds it's speed and 'snappiness' longer in vertical manoeuvres. Great work.

Regards,

Tooner

Glad you like it Tooner.

You must fly the D7s a bit, the differences are pretty much as you wrote.

Hi Peter01 many thanks for the Fokker D7 FM works a treat love it.

I tried the editing of the DR1 INI (//AutoTrimLimit=0.0) still not happy with the way it performs it now has a tedency to act like a roller coaster up and down.

I only fly the default EXPK I wanted to keep the sim standard (I have a moded version with out the EXPK)

Is there any way of using the Skunkworks DR1 INI now that fly just right for me.

Thanks again for all the time you put into this sim.

Hi Don,

You can't use the ATeams data ini for TKs model, as it is. You need to do a conversion, bit complex to explain or do if you are not used to it. In any case, it will be too sluggish for the Expansion Pack environment - its changed considerably and FMs from one version don't work that well for the other.

Attached is a quick mod to TKs FM eliminating the autotrim, & couple of other things.

Its certainly quite smooth, no see-sawing, but not "hands free", none are. If too smooth reduce the line PitchDamper=0.4, to 0.3 or less. Converse if you want it smoother.

FOKKERDR1_DATA.zip

Edited by peter01

Hi Don,

You can't use the ATeams data ini for TKs model, as it is. You need to do a conversion, bit complex to explain or do if you are not used to it. In any case, it will be too sluggish for the Expansion Pack environment - its changed considerably and FMs from one version don't work that well for the other.

Attached is a quick mod to TKs FM eliminating the autotrim, & couple of other things.

Its certainly quite smooth, no see-sawing, but not "hands free", none are. If too smooth reduce the line PitchDamper=0.4, to 0.3 or less. Converse if you want it smoother.

FOKKERDR1_DATA.zip

Hey Peter01 thats did it just took a quick flight in the DR1 and much better, thanks for taking the time was very kind of you.

Just uploaded some alternative Albatros FMs, should be available here http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...amp;showcat=213

TKs Alb D3, D3OAW, D5, D5a and an extra, 160hp AlbD3 version.

Can be very challenging AI, but more importantly nice to fly and fight in as well I think.

Spent loads of time on these. It won't be obvious, I guess, but I wanted them just right, tried many many different things, and wanted them somewhat different to one another.

Hope you like them :).

Hello Peter01,

Rest assured, we are erecting a statue for you in the Netherlands! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

The Albatros family are my favorite WW1 planes and although enjoying FE very much I was somewhat dissapointed about the Albatroses. I thought they were underpowered, didn't turn, didn't (half) roll, didn't snap, in short; they weren't competitive. Fiddling with their data.ini's didn't bring the results I wanted, I couldn't get them right. Now this is remedied by your excellent altenative Albatros FM's. Risking to repeat myself, thank you, thank you.

Regards,

Tooner

SO far all I have been flying is the D3 but its feels pretty good so far. I did go ahead and un comment the AutoTrimLimit=0.0 so it works again. Its just to jumpy in the vertical without it for my taste.

My biggest problem that makes me not play this game more is the sorry A$$ excuse for wingmen. I have no idea why it even puts them in game. The AI flies good and is agressive but as far as getting my wingmen to help in battles is just laughable. THey just all fly off to some unknown battle over seas or something.

Great job on the Albs tho, they kinda ... well sucked turds in the exp pack release. I pretty much stopped flying them till you did this fix.

Thank you very much for your efforts.

As the campaign progresses I will try the rest of the albs out and give ya more feedback. As well I added the new alb to the Flying circus campaign im playing now so I can try it out real soon.

~S~

Just back from hospital and no chance to fly yet; I will be "grounded" for a while. Nevertheless, it is very heartening to see that you have reworked the Albs. Yet another motive to recover soon. Thanks Peter01!

Just back from hospital and no chance to fly yet; I will be "grounded" for a while. Nevertheless, it is very heartening to see that you have reworked the Albs. Yet another motive to recover soon. Thanks Peter01!

I hope all is OK Sinbad.If yuo need it I'm sure everyone here will send you all the "good vibs" you need for a speedy recovery.