Sign in to follow this  
Major Lee

Another F-15 crash...

Glad he is ok. He couldnt control it? Well that is different than the wing failure. Could be a flight control issue.

Glad the pilot got out - at least the ejection seats still work!

I, like the others, glad that the pilot made it out ok...

it's kinda bad that it crashed in the deep water.. it would be hard to check the cause of accident. no? :\

thanks for bringing the news!

Cheers

As long as the pilot is safe, its OK. :yes:

Time for the Raptors to take the Eagles place. :wink:

Time for the Raptors to take the Eagles place. :wink:

I think with the right repairs, the F-15 can continue it's duties for more time

the Raptors are the future thats for sure, but i think the good old F-15's are not ready to retire...

hopefully they won't :good:

I'm glad he made it out!

the Raptors are the future thats for sure, but i think the good old F-15's are not ready to retire...

I wonder if there are any F-14's left in the boneyard.........

:wink:

I'm thinking -

run the Raptor line around the clock!!

The Eagles are no longer in the production line accept for the E, and that is to, not for too long now since there are no more orders coming.

Even the USAF is canibbalising because of leck of spare parts availeble from the producer. (Boeing) :sorry:

I read somewhere in one of the IAF magazines (bitaon heil ha'avir) that the US DoD does not intend to invest an astronomic amount of money in making retrofit to some 700 F-15's that are in service of the USAF.

I think the article name was "A generasion goes and a new one doesn't come".

I think Israel is the only country retrofiting the eagles to some degree.

Edited by MannieB.

That's strange, it didn't even make the local news here in Honululu. They had brought in some F16s to fly their CAP missions while the Eagles were grounded, the past few days there have been quite a few F15/F16 joint missions, I can only assume that they also practice dogfighting while they are out there.

money is spent anyway...

let's hope for the right one :)

If only the USAF had a leader to champion us through the troubled times...oh wait, we let him retire (Gen Keys) and instead we have...

post-946-1202082765_thumb.jpg

Can't the USAF get a Fighter pilot version of Bombs Away LeMay?

250px-Curtis_LeMay_USAF.jpg

Then again you guys in the USAF don't have (er had I should say had since he was fired and removed of his rank) to deal with this guy.

picture_3.png

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

This sounds like it was an F-15A ("The Hawaii National Guard's F-15 jets, built between 1974 and 1978, were acquired in 1987 ") and I'm not sure if the problem with the longerons was only in F-15Cs or goes back to the A's.

Anyway, this wasn't a structural failure, it was a systems failure.

The Eagles are no longer in the production line accept for the E, and that is to, not for too long now since there are no more orders coming.

It's still at least being offered for export sales.

This sounds like it was an F-15A ("The Hawaii National Guard's F-15 jets, built between 1974 and 1978, were acquired in 1987 ") and I'm not sure if the problem with the longerons was only in F-15Cs or goes back to the A's.

Anyway, this wasn't a structural failure, it was a systems failure.

Since I'm not in the loop anymore I have to wonder if the longron problem has been classified as a extrusion defect from the foundry that produced the extruson, or if it was lifetime fatigue failure.

If the problem is lifetime fatigue, than all F-15s (A,B,C,and D) are succeptable since they are basically flown in the same manner. Where as the F-15E while capable, is not routinely tasked with high G knife fights a majority of the time they fly and would be less succeptable. I find it also surprising if this is the case that the F-15As and Bs have not shown more instances of longeron failure.

Reguarding the opposite, a foundry defect would be limited to the airframes built with the undetected batch of flawed extrusion.

I totally agree that the HANG jet didn't suffer from longeron failure. The report said the jet was uncontorllable, not breaking up.

I wonder who the pilot was. I've got a bud in the HANG who I went to pilot training with. In fact, last time I checked, he was the SQ/CC of the unit and was scheduled to get checked out in the F-22 in preparation to get them in 2011.

FastCargo

The structural problems were shown to be a manufacturing defect in the longerons. The issue is how many were built that way, and I don't have the answer other than the E model did NOT have this same longeron so therefore was cleared quickly.

I don't know if any A's had it or how many C's did.

The structural problems were shown to be a manufacturing defect in the longerons. The issue is how many were built that way, and I don't have the answer other than the E model did NOT have this same longeron so therefore was cleared quickly.

I don't know if any A's had it or how many C's did.

just under 40% of the A-D fleet.

Well whether it was a systems failure or a structural one, it still will not look good to the people who decide on the military budget. If we aren't careful, someday we may have F/A-18s in the Air Force.

*shudders at the thought*

Yeah, and they COULD hang AMRAAMs off C-17s, too, but I don't think it's very likely.

can't they already load sidewinders on AWACS? No need for AMRAAM on th C17 maybe missiles on cessna 172 though with a surplus M60 machinegun and a box of matches and iron filings for counter measure and don't forget the hand portable GPS for precision weapon delivery. what a money saver.

F-18's in the Airforce? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shok::shok::shok:

can't they already load sidewinders on AWACS?

Umm....no...