Sign in to follow this  
Major Lee

Another F-15 crash...

Umm....no...

we did once on the Hawkeye. Get with the program!

:biggrin:

F-18's in the Airforce? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shok::shok::shok:

heh heh

we'll help you all out!

:rofl:

If an enemy plane gets close enough to an AWACS that it's in AIM-9 range, you have already so lost...

That's strange, it didn't even make the local news here in Honululu. They had brought in some F16s to fly their CAP missions while the Eagles were grounded, the past few days there have been quite a few F15/F16 joint missions, I can only assume that they also practice dogfighting while they are out there.

No it's not strange because it did make the news in honolulu. I watched the story on channels 8 and 3. Also the week it did happen we had a sqaudron of FA/18E Superhornets that flew in from the mainland, which were based at Kaneohe Marine Corps base to hold mock dogfighting and training excercises with the F-15's that are from Hawaiis 154th ANG squadron. :yes:

Wow, don't know how I missed it on the news, my mistake. Yup, I live here on Hickam and the F16's were flying their CAP as far as I could tell. When the grounding was lifted they were flying missions like there was no tomorrow. Didn't know about the F-18s though.

Umm....no...

My mistake then, thought I read somewhere some E-3 have provision for a rotary mount for sidewinders between one of the inboard engine and the fuselarge but I guess not.

But I'm dead serious about the armed Cessna 172

yea - right.......

to take out traffic helicopters?

hmm - Theres no where to really stick a radar without frying the pilot at the mo so it would be stuck with heaters. Then theres the type of mission it could perform - I would rule out interception because Al terrorist in his 747 can probably will get to his target a few hours earlier :biggrin:

still I guess the Cessna pilot could take some pics and sell them to the press :good:

Edited by CoolHand29

hmm - Theres no where to really stick a radar without frying the pilot at the mo so it would be stuck with heaters. Then theres the type of mission it could perform - I would rule out interception because Al terrorist in his 747 can probably will get to his target a few hours earlier :biggrin:

still I guess the Cessna pilot could take some pics and sell them to the press :good:

that and the fact he'd have to download all of his fuel to have enough payload for the missile. No, wait.......

You could use a Slammer in auto-aquisition mode. It would be much shorter range that way, but it would obviate the need for a radar.

Also wouldn't have to worry about the exhaust burning up the plane. :grin: Just eject the missile and THEN ignite vs the heaters rail launch.

Why not just just use the handheld Stinger missile and shoot it out the side door. Also could shoot a bazooka out the side door for ground attack missions.

Wow, don't know how I missed it on the news, my mistake. Yup, I live here on Hickam and the F16's were flying their CAP as far as I could tell. When the grounding was lifted they were flying missions like there was no tomorrow. Didn't know about the F-18s though.

You live on Hickam, cool, my uncle is a Crew Chief in the 154th an i also have a couple friends who are in the maintenance section. You're right about the F-16s they always come down here.

If an enemy plane gets close enough to an AWACS that it's in AIM-9 range, you have already so lost...

Well, maybe not. A very strong ally to the dark side, the element of surprise is.

We had an F-4E with a C-130 silhouette painted on the splitter plate. I had asked the crew chief why a C-130? His response was that one of the wing’s favorite LTs (not liked at all) made a boneheaded error during a guns pass on a C-130 during a red flag exercise. He overshot. This C-130 happened to have an AIM-9 loaded and the range pod. The wizzo was quite upset when LT arrogance got them both shot down by a C-130. The crew chief said he painted the C-130 silhouette as a reminder to the LT, and that it should have been an F-4 painted on the C-130.

That article is dated 12 Dec 2005

There is a bit about it on here near the bottom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Singapore_Air_Force

Any ideas why they were chosen over the Rafale then?

singapore air force uses american planes and they find them very reilable the rafale system not very compatible with the singapore system