Sign in to follow this  
hgbn

Google Earth

Have anyone of you guys tryed that??? Must be the largest junkyard in the world :blink::blink: It's really sad to see so many great planes there

The Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center. Very sad.

AMARC_at_Davis-Monthan_Air_Force_Base-cropped.jpg

I lived in Tucson for 8 years. I almost passed out :swoon: from shock :shok: the first time I drove by. The sight of so many a/c was startling, sad, and spooky.

The last hour I've looked on those satelite images from there zoomed and zoomed many times, It's with very mixed emotions too see C-47's together with B-1's F-102, F-106, A-4, A-6, F-14's, F-15's and many more just waithing for the torch burner :sad::sorry::shok:

You know what this reminds me of?

It's better without sound, as the music is not the original track. Watch the first 1:06. When I first saw this, when I was about 3, I cried. Even now, it chokes me up a bit.

Now trains are one thing, but planes? Boy, that just hurts, to see them waiting for the scrap like that. I know that plenty of museums, big and small, would absolutely jump at the chance to get a warplane on display; I don't imagine trash is worth that much, and they could get local enthusiasts to do it for free.

Edited by Longestpants

I don't imagine trash is worth that much, and they could get local enthusiasts to do it for free.

Alu is worth a lot these days not to mention the other sorts of metal in an aircraft. But I couldn't agree more to the Idea, better to end in a museum than in the melting pot, at least for those very old aircraft like the T-33, F-102, F-106 and some of the choppers like the Mojave.

:shout::blink::sorry::shok: Just found an F-100, F-101 and a F-105, dont know how old these images is but I cant imagine they are very old, since that I have seen at least 100+ F-16, F/A-18

You bet it is...

Wonder if the russians have a site similar?????? Perhaps not as grand like Davis-Monthan

Wonder if the russians have a site similar?????? Perhaps not as grand like Davis-Monthan

From what I have done on Google Earth and research I couldn't find any other than at target ranges. And if you see a bunch dating back to Badgers and Frescos than that is the Monino Air Mueseum.

Guess that the Russians sells the old aircraft to whatever country in the third world, which needs it. :biggrin:

I saw a program on TV some years ago.. we have still some countries around wich are proud of their Aiirforce, they use Mig-15/17/19 a german camerateam visitied a country in the middle of the old soviet territory and they still use those birds ...

Some of them aren't actually "junked". The B-1s, for example, are in a condition where they can be restored to flight status in a short time if necessary, such as the loss of one of the active birds. However, any plane that's been there over 15 years can pretty much be considered scrap, although there are rare exceptions.

Some of them aren't actually "junked". The B-1s, for example, are in a condition where they can be restored to flight status in a short time if necessary, such as the loss of one of the active birds. However, any plane that's been there over 15 years can pretty much be considered scrap, although there are rare exceptions.

Actually I dont think those B-1's I saw would be able to fly again, they were partial cut up allready with there wings laying on the ground for some of them, I know it's also a storage area too, and many of the planes is wrapped in a sort of white plastic..