Does any one know or have the tallent (I know I don't) to change the F-106 canopy to the later "bubble version" then the present canopy configuration? Just a real pain when trying to dog fight!

Edited by delta6

Does any one know or have the tallent (I know I don't) to change the F-106 canopy to the later "bubble version" then the present canopy configuration? Just a real pain when trying to dog fight!

Kesselbrut did the pit, so he would be the man to consult. I don't think this can be achieved via a mod or hack.

gallery_6973_124_708.jpg

Drop CanopyFrame out of view, which carries down the compass and side windows, but those can be raised back up seperately if desired. If you don't use the tinted windows, leave them down I guess.

delta, see this thread for the theory ~> http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4410

** Don't panic about the classical era "junkpile" above the radar -- its the gunsight rotated as described on page 22 of that ThudWire thread, since I will be using early F-106 without guns (and with solid top).

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Drop CanopyFrame, which carries down the compass and side windows, but those can be raised back up seperately if desired.

delta, see this thread for the theory ~> http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4410

The beauty of this game is that you can do almost anything you want with it, no matter how weird. :huh:

Edited by column5

yea bump C5...I added a pic of this above for delta.

The beauty of this game is that you can do almost anything you want with it, no matter how weird. :huh:

Weird? :good::ok: Yes!

yea bump C5...I added a pic of this above for delta.

Weird? :good::ok: Yes!

Very cool! Thanks

I took a look at the thread, and went to page 22. I did not see anything specific on the canopy bar. Did I miss something? Also, what file needs to be open to edit?

Lexx, I was hoping you'd chime in on this one. Thanks!

delta::

I took a look at the thread, and went to page 22. I did not see anything specific on the canopy bar. Did I miss something? Also, what file needs to be open to edit?

Although the thread is about applying cockpit chopping for placement inside external models, you are needing only information on how to chop cockpits for otherwise normal gaming use. Page 1 should cover the basics of cockpit chopping, but additional details may be found through page 4 after which the author assumes the reader has learned the basics.

EXAMPLE: The first Move below drops the canopy frame (solid top roof) which also drags down several other items (see the OUT file).

[Move1]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=CanopyFrame

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-9

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-9

Set[02].Value=1.0

...the Move below raises up the dropped compass box, which carries up the compass also. Read about Parent and Child Moves in the thread. Note how the axes are mixed up here...Z for the drop, Y for the raise. I don't understand this but its the way it works in some cockpit Moves.

[Move2]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=StbyCompassBox

MovementType=POSITION_Y

Set[01].Position=-9

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-9

Set[02].Value=1.0

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Awesome,man!

I saw the section of custom made cockpits,and they look great.(perharps I like more the original cockpits,but it´s better than using an A-4 or F-4 one).

But,looks hard and complicated to make custom pits...

Guest capun
delta::

Although the thread is about applying cockpit chopping for placement inside external models, you are needing only information on how to chop cockpits for otherwise normal gaming use. Page 1 should cover the basics of cockpit chopping, but additional details may be found through page 4 after which the author assumes the reader has learned the basics.

EXAMPLE: The first Move below drops the canopy frame (solid top roof) which also drags down several other items (see the OUT file).

[Move1]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=CanopyFrame

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-9

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-9

Set[02].Value=1.0

...the Move below raises up the dropped compass box, which carries up the compass also. Read about Parent and Child Moves in the thread. Note how the axes are mixed up here...Z for the drop, Y for the raise. I don't understand this but its the way it works in some cockpit Moves.

[Move2]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=StbyCompassBox

MovementType=POSITION_Y

Set[01].Position=-9

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-9

Set[02].Value=1.0

Lexx

The problem is that if you follow the exporter notes, moving along the Z-Axis would have raise/drop the meshes, but for that the mesh has to be world aligned in the 3DS Max model.

But not every pit designer set all of their meshes to be world aligned.

Take for example a Throttle lever, it would normally move along the X-Axis centered in the lower part of the lever. So the cockpit ini entry would say something like MovementType=ROTATION_X

If the mesh it is not world aligned, then you need to change the rotation axis to match in the ini file.

Another example, all the gauge needles should be rotating along the Y-Axis if world aligned, check some pits and your will see the rotation in another axis. In some cases it says MovementType=ROTATION_Z

If this is the case, most likely the Throttle levers will be rotating along the Y-Axis.

So a clue that may help is to look for needle axis and then you should know how the meshes were aligned in the 3DS Max model

Wow thanks capun. That's very interesting stuff. I wish there were a more inexpensive 3D Max "lite" to get started with, to test the waters maybe, but not the student thing for non (or post!) students.

Guest capun

Lexx

If you can get the sources from the dev, you can ask him to export them to 3ds format and then you could use GMax to take a look at the file.

I believe there is also an X file format importer available for GMax also.

Problem with GMax is that you cannot export to the game, GMax is basically a crippled 3DS Max V4.2