Sign in to follow this  
Tailspin

37mm AAA

Some of you may have already done this but I remembered there were two 37mm AA guns in the Gundata.ini and I've been playing around with them. One is the 1pdr Vickers MkIII (PomPom ?) and the other is the 37mm Sockelflak. Both are similar weapons and have a ROF of around 120rpm. Since we don't have proper 3D models for the guns I can set them up just like I did the AAMGs. I have flown a few test missions and these things are death if they hit you. :blink::biggrin: Anyway, if anyone is interested, I can put together a download with all the particulars. Yea or Nay?

Here's a shot of the "Sockelflak" in action using the Parabellum as a model. :biggrin:

37.jpg

Good idea

these weapons are a big gap

and quite prevalent by the sounds of it (especial around drachen)

funnily enough i started work on a Sockelflak model a month or so ago (I'm tooo easily distracted) :blush:

never finished the texture ... couldn't find a good enough pic of a german infantry man to use (was a briefish search tho)

the rest is ready to go tho from memory

If you are interested i could try to finish the model sooner rather than later?

Ps whats the particle effect like for it? these weapons were the latercause of the flaming onion phenomenon i think

earlier it was caused by a gattling type weapon borrowed from the navy

gallery_23136_82_30898.jpg

Very nice P10ppy! :good: I haven't messed with the effects much. Right now all you get is a tracer. I thought of changing the size or maybe the color (slightly) to help tell them apart from the machine gun tracers. I haven't got real good look at the effects yet. These are not airburst shells just contact fused. I dunno, we could probably mimic the earlier gun by changing the rate of fire and the burst rate but that will have to wait until the new Gun and Weapons Editor released, I think. Anyway, your model would be a welcome addition to the game. Of course if you release that one, you'll have to make a Vickers too. :grin:

Ive got the RW stats for the Sockelflak some where

I remember thinking TK's stats were pretty good but i never tried in game so never saw the particle effects

I'm pretty sure they were not time fuzed (bad around balloons)

Just dirty great tracers (which look quite slow when they were coming straight for you, just like a flaming vegetable :blink: )

never even found a pic of the brit version :dntknw:

BTW its a bad rumor that the gun editor doesn't work (started by me i think :blush: )

its fine its only the weapon editor that doesn't

anyone got a nice schematic view of a german infantry man?

People actually managed to fit this gun on a plane. :biggrin:

I did SPAD XII Ca. with 37mm already :wink:

*from many links I posted and pinned at WWI section... but apparently no one cares*

21.gif

6-ponder (57 mm) Davis gun with Lewis sighting machine gun

22.gif

Supermarine PB 31E 'Nighthawk' 1388, with 2 pounder Davis Gun - a 2 cylinder ABC auxiliary power unit is installed aft of the main engine

23.gif

Royal Aircraft Factory FE 6 with 37mm COW gun

24.gif

FE 2b fitted with 1 pounder pom-pom gun, Lewis gun and French CFS landing searchlight. 51 Sqdn March 1917

Description Here at the bottom in armament section.

Hmmmm....having a slight problem. Seems these guns are such low velocity that the tracers burn out at around 400 meters or so. Kinda kills the effect. Any ideas on how to make 'em burn longer? Can't find anything in the GunData or the ParticleSystems.....

Hey Tailspin, here's the scoop on tracers from TK:

TracerSize sets the basic size of the textures.

TracerDistFactor is the modifier for size (set above) for distance. Without this, we find that tracer texture would be less than 1 pixel and disppear completely too soon. So this increases the tracer size as it gets further away from camera.

So if you want tracer to be visible further away, but you don't want it to look like a giant basketball-sized texture up close, you want to try adjusting the TracerDistFactor.

Max Streak Visible Dist sets the maximum distance (from camera) to which the "streak" (that "tail" part of the tracer graphics), is rendered. And it may also affect the long distance visibility from different angles.

TK

I think TS means that tracer burn time is too short, not that one can't see them...

BTW its a bad rumor that the gun editor doesn't work (started by me i think :blush: )

its fine its only the weapon editor that doesn't

Like Tailspin, assumed this didn't work. Sure I tried moving my gundata files from the previous version to the new without any result, but as you say it does work. Thanks for letting us know.

Some of you may have already done this but I remembered there were two 37mm AA guns in the Gundata.ini and I've been playing around with them. One is the 1pdr Vickers MkIII (PomPom ?) and the other is the 37mm Sockelflak. Both are similar weapons and have a ROF of around 120rpm. Since we don't have proper 3D models for the guns I can set them up just like I did the AAMGs. I have flown a few test missions and these things are death if they hit you. :blink::biggrin: Anyway, if anyone is interested, I can put together a download with all the particulars. Yea or Nay?

Bring it on. Not that I don't get hosed by what is already out there, but a gun emplacement without a capacity to 'gun' is of no use. Again, bring it on as it will add more spice to a mix that is already hotter than Texas chili.

Hey Tailspin, here's the scoop on tracers from TK:

TracerSize sets the basic size of the textures.

TracerDistFactor is the modifier for size (set above) for distance. Without this, we find that tracer texture would be less than 1 pixel and disppear completely too soon. So this increases the tracer size as it gets further away from camera.

So if you want tracer to be visible further away, but you don't want it to look like a giant basketball-sized texture up close, you want to try adjusting the TracerDistFactor.

Max Streak Visible Dist sets the maximum distance (from camera) to which the "streak" (that "tail" part of the tracer graphics), is rendered. And it may also affect the long distance visibility from different angles.

TK

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what some of those factors did. But what I'm wanting is for the tracers to go higher. Of course I'm not sure what the max. effective altitude for these guns were...I've read up to 4000ft.

Hey Tailspin

It is pretty lame at stock (I think it’s a bug actually)

Numerous flyovers at differing height later of 10 sockelflak batteries convinced me it wasn’t the tracer

If the tracer couldn’t hit me I was never hit

If the tracer was shooting past my wing I died real fast

It the bloody gun

It’s only got enough opmf to chuck a shell about 180m on the slant :blink:

Reducing the caliber is the only thing that seems to fix it (less drag I guess)

Warhead weight seemed to make no difference

And velocity made a little bit…

Reducing it to a silly 7mm meant it still had some gas left at 1000m ymmv

I’m not sure it’s meant to work that way? :dntknw:

Heres a finish-ish model to play with (I haven’t really ini-ed it, just got it working for testing)

Feel free to do what you want with it :yes:

sockelflak.rar

THANKS for the model P10ppy! I tried your discovery with the caliber and thats the visual effect I was looking for. Make it 13mm and the tracers burn out @ 5000ft. Just about right IMHO. Changing bullet diameter doesn't seem to affect effectivness...still hits like a 37mm. :blink: Still planning on tweaking some things like accuracy and targeting range etc...

... Still planning on tweaking some things like accuracy and targeting range etc...

Then there's all that tedious (or so I've heard, and sometimes thankless) placement of the guns around balloons :blink: more if one decides to implement Firecage's balloon-fest:

I have added anywhere from 6-10 Balloons around the 6 major cities in the game as well as a few AAA sites in each.

Every airfield will have a balloon at its corner. I wanted to make it easier to fly to and from airfields and also add to some scenery to each area.

There are about 20-30 balloon recon stations that follow the front lines so at almost any point you cross no-mans land you should see at least 1 observation balloon somewhere near you.All in all there are probably around 80-100 new Balloons and AAA added, mostly balloons.

Now, most of those balloons would not be observation-types, since they wouldn't be near enough to the lines and so not of tactical importance nor targets for balloon-raiders, so they wouldn't be protected with the batteries discussed here. Only those balloons near the lines...

I remember reading about the flaming onions a while ago, as p10ppy mentioned, they were a gatling type weapon which gave them that high rate of fire, 120 rpm. The shells were phosphor, every one of them a tracer round in effect, and quite big and bright and so close together. This prompted allied airmen to incorrectly assume they were connected by wires, and thus were greatly feared. Balloon missions were only taken on by the bravest, or most foolish...

I'm really overjoyed that this aspect of the game is being filled in, thanks so much gentlemen :ok: I only wish I had the talent and skills to help.