Sign in to follow this  

well, being wingman by nature (and rank), I was wondering If I could fly as wingman in SF, more for filming than actually playing. I think that back when I had the stock game (pre-service pack), you could choose what part of the flight you wanted to fly in via the loadout screen, where you choose which plane you're loading the weapons on. For example, you could choose "Rambler 1-2" and then fly as the wingman. I tried this with my current install, and it didn't work. So my question is: is there a way to make it possible to fly as a part of the flight OTHER than leader?

Guest capun

You can in Custom made mission

well, being wingman by nature (and rank), I was wondering If I could fly as wingman in SF, more for filming than actually playing. I think that back when I had the stock game (pre-service pack), you could choose what part of the flight you wanted to fly in via the loadout screen, where you choose which plane you're loading the weapons on. For example, you could choose "Rambler 1-2" and then fly as the wingman. I tried this with my current install, and it didn't work. So my question is: is there a way to make it possible to fly as a part of the flight OTHER than leader?

I fly wingman most times it's far more interesting and you can see what those other blighters are doing plus it's a great way to practice flying formation which is a lot harder than you think!

It's a pity that this doesn't come as a general feature in TK's sims but I guess you can't have everything and it's not hard to create your own wingman flight in the mission builder. I normally fly back of the group..well yes I'm a Brainless coward I guess 'cos it's usually the leader or the ones in front that get the bullets first! :biggrin:

Down side is you don't get to tell your flight what to do, so you'd better have your programmed mission with clear objectives for the AI flight you're flying with.

Hi Rambler, there are two ways to achieve this that I can think of.

First, you can write a mission which contains a minimum of two aircraft - you as the wingman and the other (AI aircraft) as the lead. Examples of how to do this are here (SPF1) http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=4863 and here (WOV) http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=3911.

Second, you can define a new formation type in FLIGHT/FORMATION.INI which places your AI wingman in formation in front of you. He still follows your moves but is physically located in front. (See details contained in this mission pack on how to do this: (WOV) http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5847)

Advantages of the first choice are that the lead is automonous and will carry out his mission regardless of what you do, so you can position yourself anywhere in relation to him. The downside is that you will have to work hard to keep up and close by in formation as he performs his mission.

Advantages of the second choice are that the AI aircraft is 'attached' to you, in that he will re-position himself next to you after each manoeuvre and only detach on final approach or when you send him off to target one of your targets. A disadvantage is that the AI of a wingman (albeit one who sits out in front) restricts what he will do to what you do, so he's not automonous.

Personally I prefer the first choice as I want my squadron buddies doing their own thing and reacting automatically to the enemy without me assigning targets for them. That way I know each man's mission in my wing prior to the flight and then all I have to do is keep up with them(!)

Hope this helps, regards, comrpnt :-)

Now why would anyone want to be #2 ? It doesnt even sound cool...

Rules of Fying (3)

1. Look Cool

2. Sound Cool

3. See rules 1 and 2 for any further questions...

Ideas on "cool" can be so weird/perverted/subjective(or do I mean the antonym?)

Sparko's avatar looks cool but smoking actually isn't cool. (If it's supposed to be a doobie, 1st impression makes me think he's just smoking)

(I'm a smoker and I quit every day)

Edited by csb

You dont know who that is? Seriously that is like the 3rd person to ask me/not know...

It means you're old sparky.

Working in the RSU 7 years ago, I had a kid who never heard of Colonel Sanders...

FastCargo

Hmmm...you may be right about that...

Colonel Sanders? Man...I wonder if they know who Mr.T is ?

sure.

you tell your wingman to take out the target you've selected and then you fly wing. Works in air to air and air to ground.

okay, I think I'll try that first thisn that comprnt said, it sounds good.

Sparky, you obviously didn't know the three rules being wingman.

#1- Make your flight lead look cool.

#2- Make your flight lead sound cool.

#3- Make sure anything stupid your flight lead does doesn't end up making him not comply to the 3 rules of flying.

Brainless- you've no idea how tough it is to follow my flight lead around. He likes to randomly turn right in front of me to roll in on a target without saying a thing. also, he NEVER flies in a straight line.

Yeah...think the AI gets into that pull 14-G category...have watched mine on rejoin stand on end then swoop in behind me...like a bat...not bad except it was in an B-47

Actually...what I remember about wingman vocabulary was:

1. One, you're on fire

2. Two's got the fat chick

3. Ejecting!

Outside of that was de-brief hell...maybe it is different in Canada...goes with that tasty syrup and crazy round bacon (which is also tasty)

Public Notice...if you are offended by the phrase "fat chick" please feel free to complain...to someone else...and then realize just how wonder and good your life is and how easy it must be if the thing that ruins your day is as insignificant as that...

no, no, no. It's the only 3 things a good wingman ever says.

1- Two's up

2- Lead, you're on fire!

3- I'll take the fat chick.

I've said all of those twice or more so far.

and yes, we do sometimes have pancakes and back bacon after de-brief. But it's not cooked on a coleman stove. We're not ALL Bob and Doug McKenzies.

I should note that when we're taking off, instead of saying "one's up", "two's up" and so on, we say, in order as we take off, "foxtrot" "uniform" "Charlie" "kilo".

Beauty, eh?

Edited by Rambler 1-1

Dude, we know you are not all Bob and Doug...I mean Canada produced Grace Park, Pam Anderson, and

post-946-1202530382_thumb.jpg

Bob and Doug are closer to real Candians than Pam Anderson and... whoever that is.

Bob and Doug are closer to real Candians than Pam Anderson and... whoever that is.

Eh, that is Shania Twain...dont tell me you are in the Celine Deon club?

Hey, dont like CM-techno whatever...but Shania is fun to look at...

Hey lets not forget Kim Catrall, Lexa Doig, Nelly Furtado, Megan Follows, Iris Graham, Tamara Hope, Alexz Johnson, Margot Kidder, Vanessa Lengies, Catherine O'Hara, and Fay Wray

NOTICE: this list is not all inclusive of important/hot canadians...it is also not a pun nor a jab at Canada, for the Love of All that is Holy, settled down...seriously your life must be wonderful if you can find this something to be upset over

...doesn't look like shania...

whoa, did you google "Canadian celebreties" or something?