Sign in to follow this  
vampirella

Korean Air War Complete Mod in WoV?

Hi,

i am new to the sim and at the beginning my explorations...

I found the Korean Air War Complete Mod but am not sure if WoV, which is the game version i have, is enogh to play this mod?

do I need SF original version or something, as this is refered in the (somewhat old) dscription.

thanks, all!

Hello, vampirella, and welcome to combatace! :grin:

Now as for the KAW mod, It is designed for SFP1, and will not work with WOV. However, you don't need the campaigns if you don't want them, just install the addon KAW planes and terrain. There's a lot more to it, but hopefully you can make it work. It's not impossible.

hm, hm... sad.

maybe I try to pickup a copy of SFP1 someplace ...

I am coming from Il2, so one conflict at a time ... LOL

just kidding.

thanks for the reply!

No problem, always glad to lend my incompetence to a new member. :biggrin:

You can download a copy of SFP1 here:

www.thirdwire.com.

I would recommend backing it up after it's purchased and d/l'ed, maybe onto DVD so you have a hardcopy.

Edited by Longestpants

I tried to use the mod, but it won't work without the Korea terrain and I can't find the terrain at column5, Combatace or Checksix.

Check AvSim??? I don't know if it's there, but it's worth a look!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Check AvSim??? I don't know if it's there, but it's worth a look!!

Wrench

kevin stein

No joy, just the campaign which specifically states I need the terrain.

Man, what I would give for a few "all-in-one" campaign downloads and a mod manager like JGSME.

Hello, vampirella, and welcome to combatace! :grin:

Now as for the KAW mod, It is designed for SFP1, and will not work with WOV. However, you don't need the campaigns if you don't want them, just install the addon KAW planes and terrain. There's a lot more to it, but hopefully you can make it work. It's not impossible.

My KAW works in WOV.

My KAW works in WOV.

Could you possibly upload the Korea terrain then?

this would be very cool!

czech6, did you do anything special when installing?

And yeah, the terrain file would be nescessary as I see it.

this would be very cool!

czech6, did you do anything special when installing?

And yeah, the terrain file would be nescessary as I see it.

Yep. Go to the Knowledge Base and start with Era Specific Install. Then, go to Installing 3rd Party Terrain. Those are the basic instructions.

I had the specific instructions for installing KAW in WOV somewhere (I usually create a notepad document and save tips from the forums), but right now I can find it, and I haven't been able to find the forum thread. If I find it, I'll post it here.

Doesn't Charles' Korean War Terrain work?

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autom...p;showfile=3329

Edited by Czech6

AFAIK that's just an update, fixes to certain spots and the like, and you have to download the original KAW mod to get the terrain.

It is working, gentlemen!

thanks a lot!

one has to aply the custom main screen additionaly from here:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...mp;showfile=908

with the one that comes with the mod you get the right/left confusion with the blank field of the menu being right hand (like SF:P1 I assume) but the WoV tags being invisble until mouseover on the left.

the custom from the link above corects that to a complete new screen.

EDIT: Did I say F-86 rocks big time? ;)

Edited by vampirella

I wouldn't mind throwing together a quick terrain for Korea that will work in WOV. I did it before and I can do it again. I can use original USCG DEM, and I have a pretty good texture and city list for it. It could use stock Vietnam stuff. Its not perfect, but close enuf? I could place all the airbases. This would only take a few nights of work. But other targets, rivers, campagin thing, would make it take much longer.

But how about a Guadalcanal terrain for WW2 dood. This could be really cool. Dogfights over Henderson, and blowing up stuff in Iron Bottom sound.

Edited by Stwa

AFAIK that's just an update, fixes to certain spots and the like, and you have to download the original KAW mod to get the terrain.

Charles' readme says delete and replace the original terrain file altogether, so I think it's a complete terrain file.

I wouldn't mind throwing together a quick terrain for Korea that will work in WOV. I did it before and I can do it again. I can use original USCG DEM, and I have a pretty good texture and city list for it. It could use stock Vietnam stuff. Its not perfect, but close enuf? I could place all the airbases. This would only take a few nights of work. But other targets, rivers, campagin thing, would make it take much longer.

But how about a Guadalcanal terrain for WW2 dood. This could be really cool. Dogfights over Henderson, and blowing up stuff in Iron Bottom sound.

Stwa,

I still have your original Korean War terrain files and used them for a long time. I like your colors better than the current version. More greens. Make another and I'll try it. Just noticed you're up the road from me. Great weather we're having.

Stwa,

I still have your original Korean War terrain files and used them for a long time. I like your colors better than the current version. More greens. Make another and I'll try it. Just noticed you're up the road from me. Great weather we're having.

Wow, thats great, and down the road. We pass through on our way to Tucson sometimes. And your right about the weather. At this point, I couldn't survive in a cold climate. We are sooo spoiled.

Wow, thats great, and down the road. We pass through on our way to Tucson sometimes. And your right about the weather. At this point, I couldn't survive in a cold climate. We are sooo spoiled.

You got that right...

Think I caught a glimpse of the sun today out my window today.

Mind you, no poisionous snakes here...tends to even things out a bit !

I have no airfields in the Korea mod.

I was wondering if this is usual, but as I used to start my missions near the action at first I did not notice that the airfieds where missing for me.

there are just grass-squarers, no sign of an airport. If I chose the option start on runway I stand on the gras and take off from there, no airfield buildings or runways. Is it supposed to be that way?

I assume not...

Not sure without DLing it myself but would have thought so - at a guess it may need the Desert_Airfield ini files that were in the original Desert terrain (anyone know?)

Are there any ini files in the korea terrain folder called something like Korea_airfield1.ini, Korea_airfield2.ini?

... at a guess it may need the Desert_Airfield ini files that were in the original Desert terrain (anyone know?)

Are there any ini files in the korea terrain folder called something like Korea_airfield1.ini, Korea_airfield2.ini?

Yes, there are such files in the folder. (At least in mine.)

Btw, the Desert_airfield.ini files are also in the VietnamSEA and germanyCE cat files.

Edited by Gocad

Yes, there are such files in the folder. (At least in mine.)

Btw, the Desert_airfield.ini files are also in the VietnamSEA and germanyCE cat files.

Do you get the airfields in Korea?

Do you get the airfields in Korea?

I have not downloaded a Korean based terrain since summer 1996, but my recollection is...

the Korean terrain had it's own custom airfields. To check this in your copy, open the file Korea_targets.ini or equivalent and search for the phrase "airfield".

If there are lines like...

AirfieldDataFile=Korea_airfield4.ini

in your target file then this would be the case, and unless you have these airfield ini files in your Korea terrain folder, then no worky...

okay... how abou this: I HAVE the AirfieldDataFile=Korea_airfieldx.ini lines in the targets ini and the Korea_airfieldx.ini's are there too (1 - 6) but no visible airfield....

Err - you should have a file called Korea_types.ini - check in there to see if you have any references to runways

ie

[TargetType066]

Name=Runway5

FullName=Runway

ModelName=airfield5.lod <---------

if your file has different .lod file names then check to see if the actual .lod files are in the terrain folder.

Is your terrain folder at this level?

....\WOV\Terrain\Korea

Just to make sure it should be separate from (sit next to) the "VietnamSEA" folder