Sign in to follow this  
sinbad

Brumowski Alb D.IIIOAW 15352 Sworls Revised

Brumowski Alb D.IIIOAW 15352 Sworls Revised

Godwin Brumowski (1889-1936) had the most confirmed (35) and unconfirmed (8 downed behind enemy lines) victories among Austria-Hungary's pilots. Brumowski began flying on the Italian front in the spring of 1916. Beginning in April 1916, he got five confirmed victories flying the Albatros B.1, Hansa Brandenburg C-1 and D-1. After studying tactics with Jasta 24 from March 19-27,1917 on the Western Front he returned to the Italian Front and took command of Flik 41J, Austria-Hungary's first true fighter squadron. In August 1917 Brumowski got his first Albatros, D.III Oef 153.06, with a natural finished plywood fuselage topped by green and mustard sworl camo.. In October 1917 Brumowski began flying 153.45, painted red in admiration for Manfred von Richthoven. From November 1917 to April 1918 Brumowski flew 153.52 and 153.45. Initially both were all red with the famous Totenkopf skulls. Sometime during this period, mustard yellow sworls were applied over the red. From November 1917 on, Flik 41J marked their planes with yellow-and-black wheel discs. On February 1, 1918 Alb 153.45 suffered heavy damage in combat and an in flight fire. Three days later, Alb 153.52 was totally destroyed after barely surviving combat with eight British fighters. Alb 153.45 was repaired and flown through April, when it appears to have been retired. In June 1918 Brumowski was flying 153.209 when he was grounded. I found no photos showing the sworl pattern on 153.209. By October 1918, Brumowski was flying a dark brown desk with a green blotter, in command of the Austro-Hungarian air force operating along the Isonzo.

No Hanroit HD-1s were among Brumowskis confirmed or unconfirmed kills.

The Totenkopf, or death head images on the fuselage, and the crosses on the rudder were carefully reproduced from photographs for the aircraft (153.45, 153.52 and 153.209) in this series. The sworled camo is the final rendition of many variations attempted after comparison with photos and other research. All four aircraft and all six paint schemes are included in this series. Choose your favorite.

My time machine is no longer operational. These skins are interpretations, well-grounded interpretations, but certainly a mix of accuracy and flaws. I am aware of two variations from the photos and other sources. First, some Austrian pilots removed the spinner caps because these occasionally came loose in flight. Second, the rudders depicted are round at the trailing edge, rather than the straight. Both rounded and straight rudders were used on Alb D.III’s, but I would have preferred to use the straight edge type as that is depicted in most photos of Brunowski aircraft. Available models offer neither the straight rudder nor the spinner free versions. Modification of these parts is beyond my present skill. If you can do it, please contact me.

Many sources were consulted in the preparation of these skins, including: Dr. Martin O'Connor, Air Aces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire 1914-1918, Austro-Hungarian Aces of World War 1 by Chris Chant, Mark Rolfe (Illustrator) / Paperback / Osprey Publishing (February 2002), Above the War Fronts by Norman L. R. Franks, Russell Guest, Gregory Alegi / Hardcover / Grub Street (September 1997), Windsock Datafile #19 Albatros D.III (Oef)/ Grosz/Colours & Markings by Ray Rimmel , The Aerodrome Forum, R.N. Pearson profiles and other material on line.

Just drop the folder in your Albatros_D3OAW folder and select Brumowski 15352 in the loadout screen. You can change the name if you like, but be careful; only two words or combination of words and numbers are permitted. There is no need to edit the ini.

These skins are made available only for your personal use. Please no distribution or republication of any part of these files. I’d appreciate any comments, especially with links to source material. Have fun.