Hello all! I am new to the forums so be gentle :-)

I got sfp1 about a month ago now and i was very impressed with the graphics and gameplay. It made a refreshing change from il2/fb which i have played extensively!

Anyway i have started to model for the sim. i have never done this thing before, i only used to knock about in 3dsmax for a school project. See what you think, i'm modelling an f-84f, i haven't seen anyone else modelling it so i thought i'd have a go.

F84f.jpg

I would greatly appreciate some tips and feed back as i have no idea what is right/wrong good/bad etc

Thanks!

Umlungu

Welcome to Biohaz! There's a lot of resources here for you, we have a lot of talented modders here that can help you out. The F-84 is looking good! :D

Thanks for the reply jeff, I hope i can tap into the wealth of knowledge out there! I'm sure i have alot to learn!

Umlungu

Umlungu-

I'm pretty sure that Thierry has done most everything except a cockpit for the F-84F. Sony Tuckson would know best as I think he was skinning it.

Glad to see another familiar bird joining the roost!

I flew the "Bent Wing Hog" in the late Sixties in the ANG and would be glad to add any prespective that might offer.

Keep up the Good Work!

thanx for the comments! Dueces, i'm glad some1 else is doing this bird cos he will make a much better job of it than me! I will carry on with it tho just to gain experience and pick up tips etc etc

Rarebear, it must have been really cool and challenging to fly these planes with no "modern" electronic equipment just the skill of you as a pilot and a big jet engine :)

Umlungu

Big Jet Engine!!!

I don't know about that in the F-84F!

It was a very under-powered bird. In the summer, we actually computed the gross takeoff weight that would give a takeoff roll equal to 85% of the runway (the overrun was pad in our favor) and then fuel the a/c to that weight. Sometimes, if it was too hot, we would just take off minimum fuel and hit a tanker that was waiting on the way to the gunnery range.

Kentucky windage / iron sight bombing was kind of fun. You'd get the best winds (forecast & actual) on the surface & at the lower altitudes that you could get and then the first bomb was still, as the Army artillery types say, firing for effect. You take your sight picture at drop compared with where the bomb hit and then make corrections from there.

Believe Me, a shack job (within the 5 ft circle) was something to be proud of in the good old days!

jeez! 5ft circle, that is impressive. I supose the engines weren't that big in those days, still big enough for me!!

That's good info about the long takeoff roll, can't imagine as much thought goes into that sort of calculation these days, but i'm probably wrong! I've seen from my limited real aircraft experience the effect wind has on just flying straight and level never mind taking that into account when delivering free fall ordinance!

Umlungu

Guest Sony Tuckson

sorry for being late

didn't see this post as I was away when you posted it

indeed Thierry's model is well advanced

some pics are to been seen

here

wow, thierrys model is excellent!

I was wondering if any modellers can help me with the cockpit area? I don't know whether it is best to use the main fusleage cylinder and model the cockpit area from that or do as i did in the screenshot above and create a cylinder and model the cockpit separately.

If i go with the latter method i cannot seem to create a decent gradient between the cockpit bulge and the rest of the fuselage. as u can see in the screenshot i get shadows under the cockpit. Is there something very obvious i'm missing here?

thanks,

Umlungu