Sign in to follow this  
PIGHUNTA69

Whats Your Favorite Airplane Movie

Since we were on the subject of naming everyones best aircraft, the question popped into my head. There doesn't seem to be to many aviation movies so this will be interesting to see what comes up. It's hard for me to say what is my favorite cause i like Top Gun, Flight of the Intruder, Blue Max, and The Great Santini(except too bad for Robert Duvall at the ending.). Well, anyways those are my picks. :yes:

Mine was always The Flight Of The Phoenix ( the original version). I actually got to take a ride in a C-119 from Scott AFB to Alpena Michigan when I was in the C.A.P. in the late 60's. :biggrin:

Battle of Brittain without a doubt.

--"Come, my friends, I have chastised you enough. But I am here to help you. Is there anything you need".

--"Yes sir, give me a squadron of Spitfires" :biggrin:

Flight of the Intruder

with Willem Dafoe & Danny Glover

...About a couple of disgruntled A-6 drivers, in Nam, just prior to Op. LineBacker II

Twelve O'Clock High with Gregory Peck! Best movie ever! :clapping: Also Strategic Air Command with Jimmy Stewart. If you like B-36s and B-47s its the movie for you. Theres even a glimpse of a B-45.

Why, Airplane! of course. :biggrin:

"I flew single-engined fighters in the war. This is a multi-engined airliner. It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether."

"It's an entirely different kind of flying."

"You like movies about gladiators?"

Iron Eag... uh oh... :tomato:

Seriously talking, Tora! Tora! Tora!

The Final Countdown, Hell's Angels, The Fighter Flings :)

Flight of the Intruder

Top gun

Blue Tornado

Ditto for the movie "Airplane." "Black Hawk Down" isn't technically an airplane movie, but I think it needs a special mention :good:

IMHO "Top Gun" wasn't all that good. I might be stirring up a hornet's nest here, but the movie seemed to be mostly a mushy love story with some air combat wrapped around it to pass it off as an action flick. I mean, was that beach volleyball scene really necessary? Seriously, think abou it. I actually prefer watching Behind Enemy Lines or dare I say it Stealth (graphically stunning on an HDTV, btw).

Ditto for the movie "Airplane." "Black Hawk Down" isn't technically an airplane movie, but I think it needs a special mention :good:

IMHO "Top Gun" wasn't all that good. I might be stirring up a hornet's nest here, but the movie seemed to be mostly a mushy love story with some air combat wrapped around it to pass it off as an action flick. I mean, was that beach volleyball scene really necessary? Seriously, think abou it. I actually prefer watching Behind Enemy Lines or dare I say it Stealth (graphically stunning on an HDTV, btw).

Oh God, that beach volleyball scene. :rofl: That was horrible.

Behind Enemy lines was actually a really good film, not often you see Owen Wilson in a serious role.

I mean, was that beach volleyball scene really necessary?

What Top Gun was all

Personally i prefer The Flight Of The Intruder, one movie that is has not done any damage to aviation unlike Top Gun, and Iron Eagle

Edited by Mladuna

What Top Gun was all

Grrr - every bloody film is called Gay these days - some bloke takes his top off and thats it - Gay! - or in fact any film with a young bloke - has got a "Gay" following. I am really gonna have to punch the next person that calls a film gay for no reason :doh:

Anyway - I cant really have a fave film now - might typecast myself :doh:

Behind Enemy lines was actually a really good film, not often you see Owen Wilson in a serious role.

Its not bad if you can get past the super intelligent homing SAMs that the Chav in a tracksuit got hold of, the coloured Marine who just overacts soooo much! (U know the one), and the final sequence where the bad guys have either A: just come off the "A-Team" set - B: forgot to load any live ammo :biggrin:

:rolleyes:

Why, Airplane! of course. :biggrin:

"I flew single-engined fighters in the war. This is a multi-engined airliner. It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether."

"It's an entirely different kind of flying."

"You like movies about gladiators?"

lol

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up amphetamines"

I think I take after Ted Striker in some ways - certainly leading my flight over "Macho Grande" (or whatever) happens all too often in WOV :blush:

Dont have his drinking problem though :grin:

Yeah , i forgot about Behind Enemy Lines. I actually only like the first 20 minutes or so when there actually flying and trying to evade the SAM's. I thought of another movie but forgot the title, i know one of you guys gotta no the name. Its about a modern day aircraft carrier goes back in time to like WW2, it was kinda corny but i wouldn't mind knowing what the name was.

1: Flight of the Intruder

2: Battle of Brittain

3: Top Gun

That would be The Final Countdown !

Got that on my 4.

Really like the scene where the Zero's get hosed by the Tomcats :good::rofl:

Anyone seen "By Dawns Early Light" - bit of a TV movie but has some stars in it and considering the budget they were on is amazing!

Its based on a book about a terrorist cell firing an ICBM at Russia - and WW3 breaking out - but theres a great sub plot with a B-52 crew!

Got that on my 4.

Really like the scene where the Zero's get hosed by the Tomcats :good::rofl:

Thats another DVD I had to get - remember it from being on TV when I was a kid!

Battle of Britain,

Firefox,

Top Gun

For any Battle Of Britain fans it may be worth getting a Series called "Piece Of Cake" (also based on a book )which i managed to get on DVD. Covers the battle of France leading up to the turning point of the BoB.

There are tons of flying sequences and Spitfire shots in it and its a great drama - if not fully exact to life in the RAF at that time (apparently).