Sign in to follow this  
GreyCap

Bouncing wingman

I noticed that my wingman in the great new F-22 addon, is 'bouncing' up and down trying to match my altitude. I think I remember seeing that behaviour with the F-14.

But with the CF-18 (http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=2472) The wingmen act perfectly!

The more I observe the F-18 AI, the more I'm impressed by it, feels very 'real'.

So would there be something we could simply cut and paste from the F-18 formation AI to the F-22?

Thnks

I noticed that my wingman in the great new F-22 addon, is 'bouncing' up and down trying to match my altitude. I think I remember seeing that behaviour with the F-14.

But with the CF-18 (http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=2472) The wingmen act perfectly!

The more I observe the F-18 AI, the more I'm impressed by it, feels very 'real'.

So would there be something we could simply cut and paste from the F-18 formation AI to the F-22?

Thnks

bump the ini's together and see what is what.

yeah I'll do a few tests once I get home and see what happens, not so sure where to look though.

Edited by GreyCap

yeah I'll do a few tests once I get home and see what happens, not so sure where to look though.

Well let us know. Because I am curious.

Umm... Ok looking in the folder now, I'm not too familiar with this game. I think we need to extract a cab file? If anybody can just point me in the right direction for 'wingman formation flying', it would help to fix that bouncing wingman!

I don't know if your describing the problem I had but it sounds pretty similar. My f-86 wingmen would contantly bounce up and down once they settled into formation with me. Even my own plane did the same under autoplilot. I "solved" my problem by increasing the pitch damper setting in the F-86_data.ini file. My plane flew smoothly afterwards and my wingmens' bounce was reduced to a very slight more "realistic" up and down motion. The MiG-25 did the same thing and I fixed it the same way

I haven't tried the F-22 yet. I will though and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Mike

I am not an FM guy so I am not sure how to fix it. But if we do find a fix, I will incorporate into the upgrades I am doing.

If it will help any, none of the Mirage Factory F-16s I have used has ever done the wingie bounce, though I don't know why. The MiG-23s in my stable with Nele's FM mods fly absolutely rock-level also; no bounce at all. Again, I don't know why that is.

I don't know if your describing the problem I had but it sounds pretty similar. My f-86 wingmen would contantly bounce up and down once they settled into formation with me. Even my own plane did the same under autoplilot. I "solved" my problem by increasing the pitch damper setting in the F-86_data.ini file. My plane flew smoothly afterwards and my wingmens' bounce was reduced to a very slight more "realistic" up and down motion. The MiG-25 did the same thing and I fixed it the same way

I haven't tried the F-22 yet. I will though and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Mike

"Fubar512

The proper fix for the "Bouncing Wingman" syndrome is to adjust the interaction between the horizontal stabs and the wings. This requires a basic knowledge of aerodynamics, in as far as defining the proper Cla values for the stabs (though admittedly there's a bit of guesswork involved, as in real life, the stabs sit in an airflow that's already been disturbed by the wing surfaces). You can try adjusting the pitch damper value upwards, but that's more of a band-aid than anything else."

Ok interesting guys, I've tried to play around with the pitch dampers, but no results. I also changed the Rolldamper and Yawdamper. No joy.

Try this under AI data(delete "old" values of course and add these) :

[AIData]

AileronDeltaRoll=1.10

AileronRollRate=-0.85

ElevatorDeltaPitch=1.0

ElevatorPitchRate=-0.09

ThrottleDeltaSpeed=0.045

ThrottleVelocity=-0.008

DeltaSpeedForAfterburner=1.50

DeltaSpeedForAirbrakes=-95

MaxPitchForAltitude=10.0

MinPitchForAltitude=-5.0

PitchForThrottle=0.005

PitchForAltitude=0.001

PitchForVerticalVelocity=-0.01

RollForHeading=12.5

RollForHeadingRate=-0.5

MinRollHeading=10.0

MaxRollForHeading=55.0

PitchForRoll=0.15

FormationSpeedForPosition=0.7

FormationSpeedForRate=0.6

GunnerFireChance=100

GunnerFireTime=0.25

GunnerAimOffset=0.00

ASIRMFireAngle=65.0

img00088-1.jpg

BTW... I think that's more important how(and if) AI fights in combat, but reduceing some glitches like formation bouncing is eye candy for sure...

Sorry for this "problem" in first place, but I was focused to another FM stuff variables.... "more" important ones

:smile:

Edited by starfighter2

Try this under AI data(delete "old" values of course and add these) :

[AIData]

AileronDeltaRoll=1.10

AileronRollRate=-0.85

ElevatorDeltaPitch=1.0

ElevatorPitchRate=-0.09

ThrottleDeltaSpeed=0.045

ThrottleVelocity=-0.008

DeltaSpeedForAfterburner=1.50

DeltaSpeedForAirbrakes=-95

MaxPitchForAltitude=10.0

MinPitchForAltitude=-5.0

PitchForThrottle=0.005

PitchForAltitude=0.001

PitchForVerticalVelocity=-0.01

RollForHeading=12.5

RollForHeadingRate=-0.5

MinRollHeading=10.0

MaxRollForHeading=55.0

PitchForRoll=0.15

FormationSpeedForPosition=0.7

FormationSpeedForRate=0.6

GunnerFireChance=100

GunnerFireTime=0.25

GunnerAimOffset=0.00

ASIRMFireAngle=65.0

BTW... I think that's more important how(and if) AI fights in combat, but reduceing some glitches like formation bouncing is eye candy for sure...

Sorry for this "problem" in first place, but I was focused to another FM stuff variables.... "more" important ones

:smile:

Thnks starfighter 2 for all your hard work! Yes it's much better now! :clapping:

Have any idea how come the F-18 wingie doesn't bounce at all? Meh, the guy is probably part of the Blue Angels. :biggrin:

Edited by GreyCap

Thnks starfighter 2 for all your hard work! Yes it's much better now! :clapping:

Have any idea how come the F-18 wingie doesn't bounce at all? Meh, the guy is probably part of the Blue Angels. :biggrin:

It's all in the FM on how it was made. I did find the more they stayed level in formation the worse they were in a dogfight. Something I never paid attention to until now.

It's all in the FM on how it was made. I did find the more they stayed level in formation the worse they were in a dogfight. Something I never paid attention to until now.

Wow! That's interesting/wierd! :blink:

Definitely quoting USAFMTL...

Maybe dampening their reactions for better formations reduces their control inputs in dogfight, thus making their aircraft "less agile", in the sense they're pulling less than what they could...Just my two cents, but the more I think about it, the more I feel it convincing...

Edited by hide86

I second that :yes:

Well maybe we should let them bounce up and down all they want then! :unsure: Oh well, at least we're learning stuff eh.