Sign in to follow this  
ordway

Repainting tile problem in Israel 2 terrain

Are there any tricks to repainting an established tile and making the water show up?

When I just repaint an old tile with water on it (river or ocean) and don't make a new alpha channel, then only the old tile and old ocean/river shows up when I fly over it. When I try to make a new alpha channel for the tile, then my new land shows up normally, but the ocean/river is white. Is this normal? Do I need to merge the old and new alpha channels somehow?

Looking at the original black, white, grey alpha channel of the original tile, it has ocean texture on it and not just plain white on the water like the tutorials show or I end up with...does this even matter.

I have been working on this for over a day without result.

I have Adobe paintshop CS3 and have updated it to the latest version. I am a complete novice to paintshop, but have tried two tutorials multiple times from SFP1 forums on how to make a new alpha channel.

Any terrain/Mod gurus have any ideas of where I should investigate more on this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Edited by ordway

When I try to make a new alpha channel for the tile, then my new land shows up normally, but the ocean/river is white. Is this normal?

Try using original xxx_data.ini OR simply copy this into your xxx_DATA.ini

[WaterTextureMaterial]

UseEffectShader=TRUE

EffectShaderName=WaterEffect.fx

DepthBufferCheck=TRUE

DepthBufferWrite=FALSE

RenderedInOrder=TRUE

AlphaTestEnabled=TRUE

CullMode=CLOCKWISE

LightEnabled=TRUE

SpecularEnabled=TRUE

EmissiveEnabled=FALSE

FogEnabled=TRUE

AmbientColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

DiffuseColor=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

SpecularColor=0.500000,0.500000,0.500000,1.000000

SpecularPower=5.000000

Reflectivity=1.00000

ZBufferOffset=4.000000

BlendOp=BLEND_SRC_ALPHA

NumTextureStages=2

TextureStage[01].TextureName=

TextureStage[01].MipMap=TRUE

TextureStage[01].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[01].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_MODULATE_DIFFUSE

TextureStage[01].StageAlphaOp=TEXTURE

TextureStage[02].TextureName=

TextureStage[02].MipMap=TRUE

TextureStage[02].FilterEnabled=TRUE

TextureStage[02].ReflectionMapping=TRUE

TextureStage[02].StageColorOp=TEXTURE_BLEND_TEXTURE_ALPHA

TextureStage[02].StageAlphaOp=DIFFUSE

Working with TE harm the xxx_data.ini file. TE write an old version of the data.ini file. Thatswhy it is the best way to have one original _data.ini in backup. Perhaps the TE is the reason for your problem.

Working with TE harm the xxx_data.ini file. TE write an old version of the data.ini file. Thatswhy it is the best way to have one original _data.ini in backup. Perhaps the TE is the reason for your problem.

Thanks to both of you. You're both brilliant! Your suggestion worked! These are little tricks that as a beginner I would hit a total brick wall without your help and be stopped solid...maybe permanently.

Thanks also Gepard for including a "why" explanation to the problem. Brain32, I wonder if you altered anything in your data.ini compared to the original data.ini. Israel 2 seemed to like yours better than the original data.ini I had saved elsewhere and which was theoretically untouched. Any little tips help me.

To tell you the truth I have no idea lol, I just copy-pasted this from my VietnamSEA repaint. I tend to make changes test them and the when I get what I like I completely forget what I did to make it so... :biggrin: