Sign in to follow this  
Miracles

Which one you like more Lock On or WoE/WoV?

Well for me Lock on is still the more beautiful but that's about it.

No dynamic campaign makes the gameplay repetitive and hence boring after awhile.

while most people would agree to call WoE/WoV a light sim I regard them as a worthy sim when compared to Lock on. I mean the F-15 has basically the same avionics model both in Lock on and WoE.

Overall I would choose WoE because of its dynamic campaign and mission and the explosive number of flyaable ACs including ones that are created by the community.

What's your say?

WOE right now but WOI is coming up...

I like the carier ops of LOMAC, but the game is far too rigid for my tastes. I like the flexibility of the TW series. I mean, is there an F-22 for LOMAC?? :tongue:

Guest Bounder

Lockon,and Falcon if I want real. WOV/WOE/SFP if I want fun

The thing that I like besides the number of flyable ACs in WoE/WoV is that I get to feel the weapons of the 60s/70s. The Atoll-2 was some missile hehehehehehe if you knew how to use it. I mean there's a HUGE difference between the R-3S(atoll-2) and the Sidewinder(even early type). Makes you really feel you are flying with real weapons. I've come to appreciate the Mig-21 from WoE/WoV too :yes:. The little plane that was demanded so much from during the cold war era.

WOE right now but WOI is coming up...

Well looks like I'm ill informed what is WoI? Wings over Iraq? Any link to it?

For me this is a no brainer. Of course it's SFP1/WOV/WOE. With TK's sims you get better game play, better graphics, more fun, way more content, endless expansion capabilities, and the best part is those who play it are part of the community that is developing it. Nothng else even comes close. Lockon, IL2 and F4 just sit on my bookshelf collecting dust. Yes it still has a couple bugs that need squashed, but we'll get em.

No dynamic campaign makes the gameplay repetitive and hence boring after awhile.

while most people would agree to call WoE/WoV a light sim I regard them as a worthy sim when compared to Lock on. I mean the F-15 has basically the same avionics model both in Lock on and WoE.

Overall I would choose WoE because of its dynamic campaign and mission and the explosive number of flyaable ACs including ones that are created by the community.

What's your say?

I have both sims and for me the clear winner is ANY of the TW series simply because the community here ROCKS!! Nuff said! Edited by Viper6

That's more or less how I feel about it, too. After Flanker 2/2.5 I expected LockOn to address the weakest area of the sim, i.e. the campaign. I was very disappointed. It's not so much the lack of a dynamic campaign, but rather a lack of depth in the missions themselves. Janes F-18 didn't have a dynamic campaign either, but there were so many things going on with FAC's marking targets, random events and alternative missions based on your succes. In LockOn, if you don't get the mission objective, you have to repeat the mission until you do. The AI in LockOn also has a nasty tendency to fight until they die, which doesn't make a realistic experience (a problem in many other sims too). Now if the LockOn mission builder had been capable of scripting event triggers and enforcing rules of engagement on the AI, this could have been remedied. But unfortunately the mission builder is not very advanced. I gave away my copy of LockOn the day I bought WOV, and haven't regretted it :)

I have to say that without mods, I don't find WOV that great either: no ground war, rather repetitive missions. It's only after installing user made missions (like YAP or the VMFA-531 package) and modding the campaigns to include ground offensives that WOV starts to shine. It may be a 'light' sim where flight models and avionics are concerned, but the mission environment appears to me more realistic than anything I ever saw in LockOn.

If I have to say anything good about LockOn, it was fun to take a scenic tour of the Crimea and buzz the parasols at the beach :)

Edited by Johan217

I fly both, although I probably fly LOMAC/FC a little more because of the MP. In fact, I ONLY fly them MP pretty much, a good 95% of the time. LOMAC's MP offerings are richer (missions rather than simple random flights) so I wind up spending more time there lately. Of course, that's what I do with ALL my flight sims, including Il-2:46 and F4:AF and CFS3 and FE and SFP1 and such...MP almost exclusively. What time I spend offline is usually dedicated to things like RTS (Company of Heroes!) or FPS (Crysis, FEAR, Ghost Recon, Armed Assault, Rainbow 6), even though I play some of those MP as well.

Here's a fun statistic: number of above mentioned flight sims I have played a campaign on--ZERO. :grin: MP or single missions or just goofing around. The only sim I have installed right now that I've played a campaign till the end: EECH/AH, and that was YEARS ago, and I've not touched it in probably over a year. The latest mods for EECH beg for me to get back into it, though...3d Apache cockpit at last!

WoE for me.

Apart from liking the game, the add-ons and the modding community - quite simply it works! Whereas LOMAC just won't run smooth on my PC at all.

Edited by Spinners

One of the sapects of both games that I like is watching your flight line up in formation. Nothing is more beautiful than a flight of four out on a CAP.

Noticeably though is in WOV where you get close to action your flight breaks up and things get hairy. I have gotten into Missile range on a MIG-21 with an F4E and have had aircraft below me and come between me. That might not be a big deal, but if you have seen pictures and video of the Air War in Vietnam, thats really how it was. As coordinated as it seemed, there was still chaos in the air.

I also like the ease at which you can play WOV. When you're a newbie one of the most difficult things to do is land your beast, coming in a plus 200KTS, trying to keep everything together. This sim will land for you, and helps in the learning curve.

Both are great games.

What's your say?

Well, I had so many blue screens of death playing LOMAC , I think of it as "LOMAC the real bug simulator."

I was going to swear off LOMAC for a while but after rebuilding my system I put LOMAC 1.02 back on. I like it as far as it goes, but please do not ask me to comment on vendor support.

Both are good sims, but I find myself playing the TW sims much more than LOMAC. A lot of it is the ability to fly over terrains that mean something. The LOMAC terrains are good but obviously limited in scope.

The ability to mod the TW sims is huge. This has raised all the of sims to a new level and as far as I can see it has not hurt TK's business one bit.

Minor kudo to TW over LOMAC. The airfields have decent taxiways, signs and runways. The LOMAC airfields look like they are just slapped together pieces of runway.

Bottom line is, in restrospect, if I did not have LOMAC I probably would not miss it that much. I consider the TW sims must haves.

Good post. Nice to see it has stayed civil. :good:

I purchased LOMAC Gold, Disk 1 installed fine, but then when i installed Disk 2 (Flaming Cliffs) It installed Starforce on my machine without giving me any sign it was doing so until it was already installed. I lost any hope of enjoying LOMAC after that, sure it looks good but i dont like sneak installs on my computer.

Then i got WOV and i enjoyed it alot, but Falcon 4 was still my primary sim. Then came F4AF and i flew and enjoyed it alot, but it had its share of bugs and LP could only fix so many with each patch. Several areas of F4 are outdated, Graphics and Damage Model come to mind, but its forbidden to make those fixes and give them to the public. F4AF is so restrictive about modding that i lost intrest.

When WOE came out i fell in love and falcon did not get played much anymore. WOE was much more stable and looked a thousand times better IMO.

I fly WOE or FE almost everyday. The mods really make Third Wire my favorite choice of sims. The timeline of TW spans the dawn of flight to the latest and greatest, the only other sim like that is MSFS and in that you cant shoot anything.

A lesson can be learned here for future developers, the more freedom you give your customers the better your product will be. Even the best programmers miss/create errors, but a dedicated user base will put forth alot of effort to find the fixes and improve on your product.

I'll stick with Third Wire, TK knows what his customers want and gives them the freedom to add things he does not have the time/funds to address.

That earns TW a big :salute: from me!