Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Real forrests for WoE Nato2 development pics

Looks great :good: , and it seems you will finish this one before I finish populating my Germany tiles with your trees and objects lol

Got lost in the clouds, but I guess it's still over 'Nam

EDIT:

Ok, don't be so happy, it will take quite long time, working

Buiding ontop of Brain32's HR tileset, which is beautifully dark and gloomy

now rescue pilots over north vietnam and laos in wov will make sense

some of the greatest improvements made for this engine series (after the ai (before woi), we all complain at least one time about the stock terrains poverty)

good show CA_stary!!!

Haven't I?

Wow, that's amazing stuff Stary, the terrains are the only thing that's lagging in TK's games but your work is certainly changing that! :good:

Cheers.

Edited by Reece

I'm posting here some work in progress of my attempt to bring default WoE tiles a bit more real look, building it in Nato Fighters 2 installation:

Just installed this superb landscape development. Just amazing work. I can't imagine how long it took to create all that wonderful detail. Sitting on the tarmac looking at all those trees. I really felt I was in the woods and wanted to go for a walk! I nearly crashed the first time out looking at all the eyecandy!! :good::good:

Oh my God, this is FANTASTIC!!!

Please bring on the REAL 'NAM terrain next...! :good:

working on it

i just threw the files in the NATO Fighters II terrain and it works fine out of the box

Awsim pines Stary.

In FLIGHTENGINE.ini file -- a quick head~up...DetailMeshSize=

For those with older video cards, reduce this number to reduce performance hit from trees. I forgot the default, but I'm now running this at 10 with 15fps (ATI-9800) but must reduce it for the trees.

As far as I've learned, this mesh size controls the visibility distance (km?) to the trees (alpha objects?) and controls the distance to where the extra detail made by terrain tile height maps blocks more distant grafix (I think this is, if km, double the number of the mesh size value...mesh size of 10 means terrain bumps beyond 20km allow farther grafix through).

Lexx, I'm off to give it a try.

I was leery of downloading this, since my computer is just a 1.4 Mhz, with a shared video chip (laptop). Decided to try it on a stock install (waiting for the next patch before installing Nato Fighters), feeling it wouldn't work, but knowing I could always remove it again.

Blown away! :biggrin:

No noticeable reduction in frame rates at all. Amazing! Know that I can't go back to flying the sim without it. Can't wait for your WOV work, as that's my long time favorite version of the sim. Thanks!

Heck

Can't wait for your WOV work

soon...

very soon :ninja:...

does the TW engine maybe support gradual poping up (gradual alpha?) of objects? I see the forests parts appear on rough blocks as i approach , is there a workaround maybe for that?

does the TW engine maybe support gradual poping up (gradual alpha?) of objects? I see the forests parts appear on rough blocks as i approach , is there a workaround maybe for that?

I'd love to have it. None that I know of. Also possibility to define custom visibility ranges for sub-tod elements would be great

Something else that helps -- at least for FOREST type terrain packed full of trees -- is carefully making the terrain tiles and trees the *same- colour and brightness.

I just experimented with this, and with work it can be made so you don't really notice the more distant tiles full of trees until you get closer to them and can see the individual trees (this should be realistic)...which is one reason the DetailMeshSize could work well (if it works for others....Stary????)

(before colour matching attempts)

Nice spot I found in the terrain. Nice pines.

gallery_6973_124_3023.jpg

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Running the external camera roundabout during B-29 strike (contrail above the distant fireball).

gallery_6973_124_9126.jpg

I always wondered when pine trees would get into The Sims. Even FB Eastern Front had the industry standard combat flight sim trees.

Is the SF series the first?

AWSIM PINES STARY :ok:

Thanks AgBolt!

Those are Stary pines transported to tree-less "forest" tiles I made for Siberia. I am trying to learn how to place trees, but for now, these are placed by Stary but position file copied over to my Lake Baikal terrain. Never bothered with trees until the pines. :good:

Stary, can you make a cluster of thinner pines? Not taller (well maybe a bit), but less wide at the bottom?

CA_Stary just created more stuff for Lex to nuke out LOL LOL LOL.

Lex i see the cinematographer in you ;)

Lexx beautiful shots indeed

Cluster of pines? Will do

Lexx your making the Taiga in Siberia now?

CA_Stary take a look maybe here http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5114 for a canopy visual thing i found when against a forest background, maybe have any clues?

yes, it's because I had to change rendering parameters for alpha-type objects, otherways, they'll be messed up (distant trees rendered in front of close ones, trees visible thru clouds, you got the picture

oh i see. lets hope for new possibilities with the upcoming patches