Well, Wrench was so kind and gave me his Spitfire template (thanks!), which I put to good use immediately:

249tm8.jpg

That's a skin for a Mark VB Trop of 249 Sqn RAF. Stationed at Malta these Spitfires had an improvised paint job that paid tribute to the fact they operated over water most of the time.

131po5.jpg

That's a skin for a Mark VIIIC of 131 Sqn RAF. This paint job was used on Spitfires tasked with high altitude operations.

308fspt7.jpg

That's obviously a Mark VIIIC in American service. Once it's finished it will bear the markings of the 308th FS.

There is still some work to do (decals for example :rolleyes: ) and there are more Spitfire skins to come. Some of them will be skins for the foreign users of the Spitfire (Denmark, Greece, Norway, Russia and a few others).

Spitfire models covered will be the V (incl. LF & Trop) series and the VIII. The Mark VIII will also be used as stand-in for the IX, which is not available. (Although Wrench may say otherwise. :wink: ) The VIII was the better model anyway.

And I'm open to suggestions, praise and other comments. :biggrin:

Edited by Gocad

I cant see them the filters are blocking them......

I see em fine, nice work btw.

I recently purchased a coffetable book on spitfire with loads of colour art of RAF and RCAF spits. I hope to have some skins up soon

I see em fine.

Its not on his end its on my end. Govt filters.

Yeah, the pictures in my first post are hosted ar Imageshack.

One more:

post-22093-1203113949_thumb.jpg

This is basically my version of the RAF ETO scheme, with markings of 91 Sqn RAF, which was given the name 'Nigeria' because the loyal subjects there had donated money so that the RAF could pay for these Spitfires.

(And yes, I did forget the finflash. It's called WiP for a reason, right? :wink: )

Beautiful work, great stuff :good:

Ok, second round:

post-22093-1203168066_thumb.jpg

Basic RAF ETO skin, Spit VIII of 91 Sqn RAF. Needs a few more details and I will also do some invasion stripes for it.

post-22093-1203168144_thumb.jpg

Basic RAF MTO skin, Spit VIII of 145 Sqn RAF. This one is as good as done, I just need to figure how what to do with the decals.

post-22093-1203168220_thumb.jpg

USAAF MTO skin, Spit VIII, belonging to the 308th FS. Individual aircraft decal position needs to fixed, otherwise same as above.

post-22093-1203168301_thumb.jpg

Second version of my Malta skin. This one is finished, I will probably upload it tomorrow.

Edited by Gocad

For the aft letters, you may need to use 'fuselage' AND 'tail' Take a look at the decal postions in some of my Spit skins, it should be pretty well plotted out; then you can adjust to fit.

Oh, and don't forget the 'cheat' for the squadronletters and roundel -- one decal with both on them, set to Level=0

I'm likin' 'em!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Oh, and don't forget the 'cheat' for the squadronletters and roundel -- one decal with both on them, set to Level=0

Thanks for bringing this up, Kevin :good:

Gocad - I'm loving the look of your Spits, really looking forward to release.

Since you asked for suggestions, here's mine:-

As a campaign builder with the skinning skills of a ham-fisted two year old, I would really love to see skins without the squadrons codes burned into the main .bmp. Then, a "base" skin which fits the theatre can easily be modded to fit a particular squadron requirement, just by changing the squadron code in the decal.

I think it was BattlerBritain who asked about getting individual skins for all the Squadrons in BoB campaign, and ever since then, it's been like an itch I can't scratch. Plus, I have been slowly picking away at the available Hurri 1 skin to come up with something for the Czech and Polish Squadrons to fly, and it's been making me go cross-eyed. If I had a basic skin, and then change the decals for a new squadron - viola!

Just my tuppence worth.

Thanks for sharing these, Gocad - I'm loving the look of that Malta Spit!

Cheers :good:

Well, shoot...a basic skin ain't nothing.

I'd leave the roundells on the wing as 'painted on', I've never tried my own cheat on the Hurri's though...shouldn't be hard to plot the decal locaton.

I'll try to fiddle with this, when I get some time...

Wrench

kevin stein

Well, I have already worked on the decal locations... :wink:

As a campaign builder with the skinning skills of a ham-fisted two year old, I would really love to see skins without the squadrons codes burned into the main .bmp. Then, a "base" skin which fits the theatre can easily be modded to fit a particular squadron requirement, just by changing the squadron code in the decal.

That's exactly what I intend to do. In fact I do have devised a scheme that would allow to use one basic skin for various squadrons, just like the TW skins do. The problem I see here, however, is that this would make the installation of such a skin a bit more work-intensive, since in order to work it would require that one does not only edit his squadronlist, but would also have to rename the squadroncode decals. Actually that is what is holding me back right now to upload my MTO skins. :blink:

To illustrate what I just said:

post-22093-1203234879_thumb.jpg

post-22093-1203234901_thumb.jpg

post-22093-1203234920_thumb.jpg

All Spitfires there use the same skin. :biggrin:

Edited by Gocad

Great stuff, guys :good:

Thanks very much for all your hard work. Lookin' good :cool:

The problem I see here, however, is that this would make the installation of such a skin a bit more work-intensive, since in order to work it would require that one does not only edit his squadronlist, but would also have to rename the squadroncode decals.

That sort of grunt work is something I can help with. If you want a hand, give me a shout.

Now that I have capun's permission (thanks!) I've just uploaded the MaltaCamo and the USAAF MTO skin.

Now that I have capun's permission (thanks!) I've just uploaded the MaltaCamo and the USAAF MTO skin.

Excellent, thanks very much :good:

I've just uploaded my RAF MTO skin. Have fun editing the squadronlist and renaming certain decals... :wink:

I've just uploaded my RAF MTO skin. Have fun editing the squadronlist and renaming certain decals... :wink:

Great stuff, keep 'em coming :good:

Must be awaiting clearance meantime.

EDIT: Moved the Squadron List discussion to your Sq List thread.

Cheers :good:

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

I have come to accept that basically everyone has a different squadronlist. This isn't really a problem, but it sure does require some attention when one adds the squadrons.

As an example (from my readme for the High Altitude scheme):

[squadronXAX]

Name=124RAF

DisplayName=No. 124 Squadron

Nation=RAF

[squadronXBX]

Name=131RAF

DisplayName=No. 131 Squadron 'County of Kent'

Nation=RAF

You add these squadrons to your squadronlist and [squadronXAX] becomes [squadron123]. Now you have to open the decal folder and search for the tga file name RAF_sqXAX and rename it to RAF_sq123. That's how it works. I don't find this to be very difficult, but others may have a different opinion...you never know.

Edited by Gocad

Yup, that's what I reckoned.

As you say, no problem for those who know what they're about, and don't mind a bit of .ini editing. That probably catches all the people who have modded their SqList anyway.

And for the bigger campaign mods, a separate install will cure all evils :yes:

post-22093-1203603352_thumb.jpg

Identify this Spitfire version. :biggrin:

(Note: Yes, that's the Mk IA model, but it isn't a Mk I. Also, ignore the radio equipment. Focus on the paint scheme)

Edited by Gocad

PR9 by any chance? :ok:

Real nice skin, as are all the others you've been doing.

Like the Malta skins you've done for the MkV Trop - need to take that for a spin.

You working on any Battle of Britain skins by any chance :rolleyes:

Nope, not a PR9. :wink:

I have to admit that my current schedule doesn't include a BoB skin, because I'm not in the mood to work on those decal positions right now. But that shouldn't be read as a definite 'no'. :biggrin:

Edited by Gocad

post-22093-1203778524_thumb.jpg

I guess I should add stripes (as in 'Wing ID stripes') to my 'I don't want to do THAT' list. :rolleyes:

Which puts the D-Day markings on the back burner. But it's still good enough so that I can release ETO skin soon...

Edited by Gocad

sorry for the triple post

Yeah, yet another skin, but this time it's a Seafire. Nothing fancy, just the regular FAA Day scheme:

post-22093-1203979905_thumb.jpg

However, I'm a bit a at loss regarding the unit markings. It's easy to find information about those regarding the RAF Spitfire units, but about the Royal Navy Seafire units. :dntknw:

I do which units had them, but I have only inconclusive info on how they were marked. Some pictures show Seafires with markings similar to the RAF Spitfires, but other pictures show them without any recognizable Squadroncodes or so. Thus I would be grateful if anybody could enlighten me in this matter. :yes: