All right then, Lady and Gentilemens...Let us speak to maps..

I have, sitting here on my HD, 3 -count 'em- 3 maps or mods of existing maps that are in the 90-95% completed range.

All they need is flattening for airfields and the 'usual suspects' (ie: industrial and vehicle depot areas, with the occasional NIKE battery thrown in for good measure)

These maps (ie: used interchangeably with 'terrain') are:

Modern Darwin/Timor (modification of Edwards WW2)

Southern California (rebuild from USAFMTL's Top Gun map)

Iran/Iraq (from the campaign of the same name)

For the most part, they have 95-99% accurate placement of objects, given terrain size limitations. All based on images from Google Earth -- which is a superb resource, btw.

I REALLLY want to finish these, and get them off my HD and into the hands of the players. -- that's you folks. But I can't do it...running these through the TE does nothing but destroy them, due to my almost complete and utter lack of knowledge on how it works.

What I need is an expert; a Terrain Guru willling to take these and do the necessary flattening for the items that need it.

or, as placed as a 'want add'....

Needed:

Terrain Editor

to finish off several newly rebuilt

terrains for the SF/WoV/WoE series.

All inis, objects, in some cases even the tiles are included.

=EXPERIENCED TERRAIN GURU'S ONLY NEED APPLY=

If Interested, and Experienced Enough

To help The Wrench finish these products

Post in this Thread, or send PM to The Wrench c/o CombatAce

The SF Gaming Community will thank all concerned, and don't forget ... your name goes in the readme!!!

TIA!!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

ps: note to Gepard -- I need permission to use your bridge that I borrowed from the Suez/Israel terrain. It's being used for the Oakland-Bay Bridge in San Fransisco

pps: who was it that wanted my terrain and types ini for 1950s Korea???? -- I done plumb forgetted.

W

I can flatten airfields. How large? I found that the 2x2 kmkm flattening for smaller fields is unreliable, so I go with 4x4 kmkm as standard.

To flatten airfields is easy.

Make a citylist. In this citylist designate the airfields=true. Save the list and then use level airfield function.

To flatten airfields is easy.

Make a citylist. In this citylist designate the airfields=true. Save the list and then use level airfield function.

As always everyone, this information is very useful for me too...

I would find it extremely helpful, if someone would post (when they find out) why the TE is crashing with these terrains.

Thanks.

Edited by ordway

I did it!!!

I did it!!!

I DID IT!!!!

Been fuzting around with these (and DS) all weekend long. Finally, in an unexpected flash of inspiration, inspired by a post from JSF_Aggie about the DS map, I thought I'd try something completly different.

I moved a copy of the entire terrain folder into the TE's main folder. Then, I went line by line in the targets ini, matching numbers and names ... and discovered quite a few mistakes. Did this for BOTH the SoCal and Modern Darwin maps.

The Darwin map came out "off" the first few times; but I kept at it. I've added something 4-5 new airfields in the region (Port Keats, Whyndam, Bathhurst, Manindringa, Kurunura (sp?))...at any rate, after a few tries, they'er all flat and fully operational. Now, my Oz Mirage, Oz Rhino and Pig have somewhere to fly from!!! Since most the enemy fields are in the same places (left over from the WW2 originations), they don't seem to need any changes. Other than I switched them over to a larger (runway 1/5/6) base field. For the jets and all that.

In the SoCal map, I found the same thing...some misspelling and misnumberings in the city.ini. Now, Gurrero Negro, Alemeda, Nellis and all but one industrial zone is flat. For some reason, the Santa Monica Staging Base 1 won't flatten, to make use of the 'ground platte'. If I can't get it flattened, I'll just remove the platte. Unfortunately, the water will still be climbing up the hillsides, but I know nothing about how to fix that (adjust sea level, but it crashes the TE)

So, expect some screenies soon, and hopefully, by the end of the week, 2 new maps.

Wrench

kevin stein