Sign in to follow this  
76.IAP-Blackbird

Idea about stealth in TK series

Last night I searched the ini`s for some new stuff to work on.

What about to use the Stealth ability like a combination of drag and sight. The Pylons have a drag entry and now what about to have 4 sides for a pylon and a weapon and 6 sides for a plane body.Maybe a new entry for all parts listed in the data ini. It had to be modeled in a new patch I think but this solution seems to be good.

Imagine you have a cube around a plane or a part of it with different values, maybe from 0 very stealthy till 20 or higher. Every side has a different number cause a Pylon is more visible from the side than from behind or the front. This numbers or ability has to be merged with the radardata. every radar has it`s own strength in the TK series this could be used for the SAM sites, don`t knwo if it is allready.

But the main idea is to give the airplane or the whoe parts a new entry. The visibility entry or stealth entry. When you add those tanks to the Raptor it loose a bit of her stealth ability cause there has to be a new number generated.

What do you think about this?! It was just an idea and seems not to be as hard as other solutions to implement into this series. The only thing is we have to rework every plane with those entriey... maybe now entry normal radarvisibility ?!?!?!

Eh...are you certain that the game is modeled that accurately? I mean, again things like ground clutter and "notching" (yes, a pulse doppler, dont get started down that road with me) are not modeled, so personally I doubt it would be effective.

This is a game, not a sim.

But, please do not mistake me, I like the way you are thinking. But, to my ego-soaked opinion, it is like you may be trying to have Waterford Crystal at McDonald's...

If you have different drag numbers why not different stealth number ??!?!? Even Janes USAF worked well with the F-117 and it was a game ... eh Mcdonalds

At present, RCS "values" are not properly implemented. It's either a positive value (visible to radar in-game). Or, it's a negative value (totally undetectable by radar).

What you're asking for, if I'm not mistaken, is a variable RCS statement that's effected by the aspect presented to the radar source for every separate component of the model. While that would be cool, keep in mind that even separate components would again have differing RCS values depending on aspect (IE, wing panels would reflect back more energy from their top or bottom surfaces, and less from side or head-on aspect, etc)

A little not-so-secret factoid for you: When RCS values are expressed in real life, they are normally expressed as total frontal RCS.

Yes i knwo it, but was unsure how it`s all handled in the game <--- cause of the example with the drag of pylons, add one and you increase the drag.. :smile: was thinkin about a way wich is not so complicate to implement in a future patch with out rewriting the whole code...

Well, since all non-model specific pylons, tanks, bombs, and missiles have entries in the missileobject.ini, that is where TK would have to add the RCS statement.

Fubar you are right so why not to "no entry" = visible to radar ..... "a entry" minimise the radar visibility ... so it`s possible to have aircrafts with RAM materials like the Rafal ...

A "no entry" implementation of stealth wouldn't be a good idea, as there is no true stealth, just varying degrees of "low-observability". TK needs to fix the BaseRCSModifier statement so we would be able to set the variable accordingly.

Another issue he might want to address, is heat signature. At present, there is a non-working "HeatSignature=" statement in the groundobject.dll, which (even if it were working), is pretty useless. IMO, it would be better applied to aircraft.

I read somewhere that those SAM`s works with optical sensors <--- ingame.

This stealth stuff was only an idea in the evening but nice to see you take it serious. And if it will be adressed in the future so why not. thx for your comments.

Implementation of "optical sensors" in early Soviet-Bloc SAMs, was, IIRC, nothing more than "TV-guidance", that is, the SAM was remotely steered based on an image displayed on a monitor in the controller's shack. I believe that it was somewhat limited in its effectiveness, due to an FOV issue.

But yet, I did find this :unsure: :

F-4E-37-MC tail code 0306 (366th TFW) was shot down Apr 28,1972 by optically-guided SA-2 and crashed in the mouth of Cai Viet River near Dong Ha. Crew ejected safely and was rescued by helicopter.

Source: http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/1968.html

Last night I searched the ini`s for some new stuff to work on.

What about to use the Stealth ability like a combination of drag and sight. The Pylons have a drag entry and now what about to have 4 sides for a pylon and a weapon and 6 sides for a plane body.Maybe a new entry for all parts listed in the data ini. It had to be modeled in a new patch I think but this solution seems to be good.

Imagine you have a cube around a plane or a part of it with different values, maybe from 0 very stealthy till 20 or higher. Every side has a different number cause a Pylon is more visible from the side than from behind or the front. This numbers or ability has to be merged with the radardata. every radar has it`s own strength in the TK series this could be used for the SAM sites, don`t knwo if it is allready.

But the main idea is to give the airplane or the whoe parts a new entry. The visibility entry or stealth entry. When you add those tanks to the Raptor it loose a bit of her stealth ability cause there has to be a new number generated.

What do you think about this?! It was just an idea and seems not to be as hard as other solutions to implement into this series. The only thing is we have to rework every plane with those entriey... maybe now entry normal radarvisibility ?!?!?!

Interesting question, good job on Fubar512 for answering the way he did. :good:  

It's by asking things like this, that one day somebody might actualy come up with a way to make this sim more complex! Now we just need a programing super genius to join this forum!  :biggrin:

Well, TK does peruse this board from time to time. Right, TK?

Brainstorming is a good thing!!! :good:

Again if it can/could be done in this sim it will/has been looked at and tried.

Brainstorming is a good thing!!! :good:

Again if it can/could be done in this sim it will/has been looked at and tried.

Ahhh, why don't you do something exciting, like poking a stick in a hornet's nest, while someone takes a video of it. You can then post it on Youtube. We'll promise not to laugh too hard.... :rolleyes:

Ahhh, why don't you do something exciting, like poking a stick in a hornet's nest, while someone takes a video of it. You can then post it on Youtube. We'll promise not to laugh too hard.... :rolleyes:

ya think I could win that $10,000 for funniest home vid?

ya think I could win that $10,000 for funniest home vid?

Now, just visualize this: Hrnfixr jogs in place, wearing a jump-suit and crash helmet, while an off-camera announcer says "And now, Hrntfixr will graphically demonstrate how he earned his title." He then jogs up to a nest of Giant Japanese Hornets (http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=2764), and proceeds to poke a sharp stick into the nest, while yelling "I can resolve any of your Hornet issues".

The rest of the video should be quite entertaining to watch.