The Squadronlist and you

Your relationship to the squadronlist  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Please pick a one:

• I have WOV/WOE, know what the squadronlist is and edited it
    • I have just SF, know what the squadronlist is and edited it
    • I have WOV/WOE, know what the squadronlist is, but didn't alter it
    • I have SF, know what the squadronlist is, but didn't alter it
    • I have no idea what the squadronlist is, where I could find it or what it's good for...

Hello there!

I'm currently working on a few Spitfire skins, but to work properly they do require an edited squadronlist. Since I want to make the install as simple as possible it would be nice for me to know whether you have an edited squadronlist (read: with additional units added) or not.

I'm asking this question because I do remember to have read not only that some members here have edited their squadronslist, but also that the SF and WOV/WOE squadronlists are different. That reminds me, I do not have SF, thus I would be nice if someone who has it could tell me how many units the SF squadronlist contains.

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me that no other 3rd party skin does make use of the squadronlist at all, thus I would not be surprised if some here do not even know what it does or where it's located.

Please participate in the poll even when you have no interest in downloading the skins I'm currently working on. Furthermore, if you have edited your squadronlist, please post here how many units your list does contain now.

Thank you for your attention!

Edited by Gocad

I have a huge squadronlist added tons of units to it over the years.

I have a huge squadronlist added tons of units to it over the years.

Only WOV here, but I have edited the list to include the units for the addon campaigns I use.

Maybe you could merge the squadronlists of SFP1/WOV/WOE and go from there, to ensure maximum compatibility. People who have modded the squadronlist themselves probably won't have problems figuring out how to do the rest.

Well we need some sort of file merger program.

http://winmerge.org/

Now to work you lot! :biggrin:

When it merges, will it eliminate the duplicates?

Here's a question on merging Squadron Lists:-

Am I right in thinking that where a skin calls for squadron-specific decals (eg a base RAF MTO Spit skin, where all the squadron codes in the campaign are decals added to the base skin) the various squadrons have to be at particular numbers in the Squadron List for the squadron-specific decals to show up properly?

For example, I am working on an AVG Tomahawk skin for Burma Air War which has specific squadron decals (nose art) for each of the three squadrons. Screenies of what I'm talking about right here:-

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=25617

So, 1 Sqdn get Adam & Eve, 2 Sqdn get Panda Bears and 3 Sqdn get Hell's Angels. The .tgas for each decal are called AVGSqn001.tga, AVGSqn002.tga and AVGSqn003.tga respectively. My BAW-specific Squadron list looks like this, so far:-

[squadron001]

Name=1AVG

DisplayName=1st Sqdn AVG - "Adam & Eves" - Sqdn. Ldr. Robert Neale

Nation=AVG

[squadron002]

Name=2AVG

DisplayName=2nd Sqdn AVG - "Panda Bears" - Sqdn. Ldr. John Newkirk

Nation=AVG

[squadron003]

Name=3AVG

DisplayName=3rd Sqdn AVG - "Hell's Angels" - Sqdn. Ldr. Arvid Olson

Nation=AVG

[squadron004]

Name=67RAF

DisplayName=67 Sqdn - "No Odds Too Great"

Nation=RAF

[squadron005]

Name=113RAF

DisplayName=113 Sqdn - "Velox et Vindex"

Nation=RAF

[squadron006]

Name=45RAF

DisplayName=45 Sqdn - "The Flying Camels" - "Per Ardua Surgo"

Nation=RAF

[squadron007]

Name=17RAF

DisplayName=17 Sqdn - "Excellere Contende"

Nation=RAF

[squadron008]

Name=9BS

DisplayName=9th Bombardment Squadron, 10th AAF

Nation=USAF

And my squadron decal call in the skin decal.ini looks like this:-

// AVG Squadron Patches

[Decal003]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=1

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=Tomahawk\AVG\D\AVGSqn

Position=0.22,0.47

Scale=0.5

DecalMaxLOD=3

[Decal004]

MeshName=Fuselage

DecalLevel=1

DecalFacing=RIGHT

Reverse=TRUE

FilenameFormat=Tomahawk\AVG\D\AVGSqn

Position=0.22,0.47

Scale=0.5

DecalMaxLOD=3

My point is this:

If I just add the above Squadron List onto the end of an existing Squadron List (say, my BoB Squadron List, which has 22 BoB-specific squadrons and counting, and no stock squadrons as they're not required in my BoB install) then it will break the AVG squadron nose art, as the AVG squadrons will no longer be numbers 001, 002 and 003, which is what the decal.ini calls for when assigning .tgas

So does this mean we have to work on a consolidated squadron list, with every squadron, stock and add-on, in the right place?

I suppose a similar thing has been done with the Nations.ini, which of course also has relevance to the whole decal question. I have seen a few differently numbered Nation.ini files floating about, and up til Wrench posted it recently I wasn't aware there was a specific entry for WW2 China (which clearly is relevant to a BAW campaign).

Also, I seem to remember TK posting over on Thirdwire that SFP1/G and Wov/WoE had different Squadron Lists, so that may scupper us straight off.

I suppose, as ever, separate installs may be the way to go.

It's never really been an issue before because I suspect few 3rd-party planes have used the squadron decal call to the full.

But with what you're doing here, we're all going to have to pay a lot more attention to the Squadron List :blink:

Edited by Baltika

Here's a question on merging Squadron Lists:-

Am I right in thinking that where a skin calls for squadron-specific decals (eg a base RAF MTO Spit skin, where all the squadron codes in the campaign are decals added to the base skin) the various squadrons have to be at particular numbers in the Squadron List for the squadron-specific decals to show up properly?

Exactly.

With regard to the skins I have uploaded it doesn't really matter which number is assigned to a squadron, but you have to rename the decals yourself in order to get the proper squadroncode.

When it merges, will it eliminate the duplicates?

This program gives you a side-by-side view of the 2 files, highlighting the differences. You can then select these and copy them to either file. You'll probably still need to check for duplicates. Maybe use a spreadsheet for this kind of work, so that you can sort alphabetically.

If you merge the squadronlists (I wonder whether TK did a new one for WOI) you would have to rename several decals, too.

And that's were the real fun begins. :wink:

If you merge the squadronlists (I wonder whether TK did a new one for WOI) you would have to rename several decals, too.

And that's were the real fun begins. :wink:

:doh: I never even thought of that!

I'm a relative newb to the SP1 series (been playing/tinkering with WOE since about January). I just found out about the squadron list thanks to this thread and added the Warsaw Pact squadrons from the campaign.

Is there a Soviet Guards badge decal available anywhere?

I'm a relative newb to the SP1 series (been playing/tinkering with WOE since about January). I just found out about the squadron list thanks to this thread and added the Warsaw Pact squadrons from the campaign.

Is there a Soviet Guards badge decal available anywhere?

Try simmerspaintshop.com...I found a number of them in their downloads section section.

One of them will grace my Soviet Spitfire skin. :biggrin:

Thanks for the tip, Wrench!

Thank you very much, Gocad. I just found a whole bunch of VVS markings within a couple minutes. :good: It's off to the Knowlege Base for me...