Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Basic Terrain Question

I looked in the KB and didn't see this in the 3rd party terrain section, so here goes...

I downloaded the America North West Green (ANWgreen) terrain from major lee's a while back. To that, I added the America NW Mountain Thaw package, and then Dueces American North West Series Upgrades. After pointing to the correct CAT file (GermanyCE) and making sure the folder and all the INI's had the right name (ANWgreen_xxxx.ini), I dropped that folder in and it worked just fine.

So next I thought I'd try a less green and not so snowy version of the same terrain. I took the same terrain folder that just worked fine, copied it, and renamed it ANWbrown. I changed the ANWgreen.ini file to ANWbrown.ini, and changed the full name= to America North West Brown. I then took the original ANWgreen tiles (not the mountain thaw ones) and dropped them into the folder, overwriting what was already there. So at this point, I figured I'd have the exact same thing as my ANW green terrain (that worked moments earlier) only with different tiles.

When I go to fly a mission with this terrain, I get a CTD as soon as I hit fly. Air start or runway start doesn't matter. I'm assuming there is something I forgot to rename, or that maybe there is some file other than the .bmp's that I should have copied in that I didn't.

Anyone know what it could be?

Thanks!

You need to rename the .HFD and .tfd files to ANWbrown.HFD and ANWbrown.tfd also.

You need to rename the .HFD and .tfd files to ANWbrown.HFD and ANWbrown.tfd also.

Thanks!

Can I ask what those two files are? (Just so I learn something from this...)

TFD, I belive is the tiling information

HFD is the height field, I thinsk

You know there's a spring, summer and winter versions already, right???? As soon as Major Lee's site is back up, I'm sure you'll find them there.

Wrench

kevin stein

TFD, I belive is the tiling information

HFD is the height field, I thinsk

You know there's a spring, summer and winter versions already, right???? As soon as Major Lee's site is back up, I'm sure you'll find them there.

Wrench

kevin stein

Yeah, I do. I was really asking more because I wanted to understand why what I did didn't work, when I thought it should, even if there is an easier way. That sort of thing will drive me crazy.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by malibu43

Ok. Now I have one more question.

The original AmericaNW terrain (and the ANWgreen) have a nations.ini (22kb) that I'm supposed to place in the flight folder. There is already a nations.ini in the flight folder, that is a larger file (35kb), but does not have the "orange" nation that is in the nations.ini that comes with the ANW terrrain. The only other place I found the nation "orange" is in the AmericaNW_Nations.ini. So I have a couple questions:

1. I think the larger nations.ini is more recent. What will happen if I overwrite it with the one that came with ANW?

2. What will happen if I don't put the ANW nations.ini in the flight folder?

3. What is the best thing to do?

Thanks!

Edited by malibu43