Sign in to follow this  
super61

Errant Satellite

I heard that it was delayed because of high seas. They couldn't launch the missile.

Edited by Rambler 1-1

you mean I missed it? apparently it was visible from here. I'd have liked to have seen that.

report from NASA: "OH CR@P! THAT WASN'T THE SATELLITE! THAT WAS THE HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE!"

Since this was only 130 miles up, I think the Hubble is safe!

Well,do you suppose that THEY(The countries that would like to shoot at us)got the message?

I still think it was PR for our missile defense system.

Anyway,Good Shootin',Navy!! :good:

The guys that design the thing and test it and build it are here right next door to my shop. Awesome bunch of guys

and a Great Navy BMD Morning it is!

I wonder what phony excuse all the BMD nay-sayers will fabricate now to keep us all undefended against meglomaniacs with nuke missiles?

and a Great Navy BMD Morning it is!

I wonder what phony excuse all the BMD nay-sayers will fabricate now to keep us all undefended against meglomaniacs with nuke missiles?

Probobly saying that just becuase it hit a satallite doesn't mean it will hit a re-entry vehicle. Should be interesting though.

"They" are saying it was a highly modified system, custom built for this job. Then they would say that...wouldn't they. (this according to a USN spokesman on Sky News).

Still, good stuff !

Probobly saying that just becuase it hit a satallite doesn't mean it will hit a re-entry vehicle. Should be interesting though.

Yeah, and a one-piece falling satellite with a previsible trajectory is not exactly the same as a multiple nuke launch, equiped with MIRV and decoys...

It's true that they had to upgrade the equipment on the ships to do this, but I believe it was more because they were shooting at a "cold" target that hadn't yet started reentry or had any passage through the atmosphere. Usually anything you're trying to shoot down will shine in the IR band due to those factors. Other than that, the SM-3 system has had BMD in its plan for years now.

Besides, whether or not it could do it before, it CAN do it now.

Yeah, and a one-piece falling satellite with a previsible trajectory is not exactly the same as a multiple nuke launch, equiped with MIRV and decoys...

roughly equivelant to the threat the current BMD is designed to defend against. (NOT Russian)

we did just fine during the Gulf War (using less capable missiles against less capable missiles). The process is essentially the same, the technology is further out and faster. But no-notice launch and computation of the threat and intercept is all old-hat.