Sign in to follow this  
Fates

IRL + Champ Car = Yahoo!

Well.....we are about to see Champ and IRL finally get back together after a long time.

INDYSTAR.COM: Kalkhoven is expected to arrive from London, where he has spent the past few days attending to family business. George could not be reached for comment, but his spokesman said a news conference to announce unification could come as early as Friday.

Being from Indianapolis, and a HUGE fan of open wheel racing, all I can say is...."It's about damn time."

Although I understand WHY Tony George did what he did by creating the IRL, I just think it was the wrong way to go about it. So wrong in fact that Open Wheel racing here in the US has had terrible sponsorship, tv time, fan loss, etc...etc...etc... Let's bring the sport back to the good ole days when CART was watched more on TV then Nascar. I'm tired of Nascar's commercialization anyway...and I'm ready to get back to something new, competitive, exciting.

Cheers~

I was a big NASCAR and IndyCar fan in the 90s. After the split, I watched CART and gave no thought to IRL. After Montoya's brief stint in CART I found I stopped watching it, and I stopped watching NASCAR around 2002/2003 pretty much. Wow, that's 5 years now! Anyway, in the past few years I at least watched the Daytona 500, but the last 2 I didn't even do that. Haven't watched the Indy 500 really in over 10 years.

I liked IndyCar because of the track variety and competition. Road courses, short ovals, super speedways, and good battles. The good old days of Zanardi and Vasser in the Target cars while Paul Tracy was always on the brink of being suspended for boneheaded moves... :grin:

I hope this can come back, but the truth is all the drivers seem to go to NASCAR now. I mean, Montoya? Franchiti? Villeneuve? In NASCAR?!?

I'm guessing IRL's will take it because they're cheaper, but it's only a guess.

Heh, updated since you posted the link.

The leaders of U.S. open-wheel racing unified the sport Friday, but left unanswered several details of the landmark agreement in principle.