Sign in to follow this  
column5

Wings Over Israel [Official Thread]

You have time to think about your moves, i.e. the board games are about using your head to come up with the best solution rather than having good reflexes and thinking quickly.

It is not a stick and rudder game at all, more of a super complex game of chess that requires log keeping and a vivid imagination.

"You dont have time to think up there - if you think, you are dead"

Pete Mitchell 1986 :biggrin:

Guest capun
Also put the Meteor into WoI and it flies with the Canopy Open. Really 'Cool' :biggrin:

There are several tweeks that need to be done with pre-WOI add-on planes, one of them is the open canopy feature.

- Convert the automatic canopy opening to a manual mode. Open the Meteor_F8_Data.ini, search for the [Canopy] entry and replace it with this

[Canopy]

SystemType=ANIMATION

InputName=ANIMATION_10

AnimationTime=3.0

AnimationID=5

Now the canopy open/close is toggles by the Keyboard Key 0 (Zero)

- Allow for open canopies while sitting on the ground as static planes. Search for [Pilot] and check

[Pilot]

SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT

PilotModelName=PilotMeteor

Position=0.0000,2.7710,0.9600

SeatModelName=seat_a-4

SeatPosition=0.0000,2.7000,0.5800

CanopyNodeName=Canopy

CanopyAnimationID=5 <- Add this line

I also found a couple of minor errors/tweaks if you want to fix them

[AircraftData]

EmptyMass=4846.0

CGPosition=0.0,0.50,0.0 <- minimize the bouncing at the start

OnGroundPitchAngle=1.25 <- Nose up a bit

Eventually I'll update a fix with a newer LOD to fix minor issues (Nose shock and main shocks) and with this fixes, a full Data ini revamp for the WOI standards may take a while. RL stuff in the way :(

YES SI TEH ADVANCE TACTICCAL WISDOM FROM TEH LEUTNANT PETE MITCHAL GREATeST FITER POLOT OF TEH UNITD STATES NAVEL FORCES. sI TEH TACTICKS THAT ALLOW HIM AND GOOOSE TO INTARCEPT MIGS 28 AND GET CLOSAR THAN AnYONE EVAR GOT TO TEH MIGS. LEUTNANT MITCHAL WAS TEH VER SEXUL PILOT AND FLEW SEXPLANE F14 TOMCATS TEH FANCY SUPA HOENETS PLANES CAN NEVAR GET SO ClOSE TO TEH MIGS 28 AND TEH MODARN US NAVEL PILOTS NOT AS SEXUL AS IN 19986 BECASE THE TAILhOOKERS SCANDALS.

Still havent figured out that animations thingy yet...

Thanks for the hot fix Cap!!! I'm assuming it'll work for the F4, and the NF13/14 betas??

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest capun

Should be the same fixes, When I have the time I'll retrofit the F8 fixes to the other versions. Which one you need fixed first after the F8?

Umm...all of them??? :wink:

Actually, what I did was copy/paste the data above into the F.4, both IDF and EAF F.8s, and the NF.13 beta. Seems to wrok on the parked birds; their hood's open on the ramp. I don't mind not being able to open my canopy via a keystroke. It's not that big a deal. (in other words, I STILL haven't figured it out..key assignements and such :blush: )

Wrench

kevin stein

The supply system is interesting... Started second (1973) campaign in one of F-4 squadrons. For the first week or two we had to perform SEAD and CAS with simple bombs and fight with Sparrows that were absolutely unusable at close range. Now we got a bunch of supplies - cluster bombs, gun pods, Mavericks, new Sidewinders and Sparrow E-2 which is more useful but still junk. Too bad 60% of my squadron are either KIA or POW. :dntknw:

Well, In case no one knew, there ARE Armed Recon Missions in the Campaigns..... :good:

:biggrin:

The supply system is interesting... Started second (1973) campaign in one of F-4 squadrons. For the first week or two we had to perform SEAD and CAS with simple bombs and fight with Sparrows that were absolutely unusable at close range. Now we got a bunch of supplies - cluster bombs, gun pods, Mavericks, new Sidewinders and Sparrow E-2 which is more useful but still junk. Too bad 60% of my squadron are either KIA or POW. :dntknw:
I too am feeling the pain of the improved AI. I'm flying the Netz in '82 and I have been shot down by SAMS and AAA on every strike or SEAD mission no matter what tactic I tried, so on the next attempt I led a flight of 16, ordered them to engaged ground targets, while me and my wingie lagged back for awhile, then, I kicked in full AB and blazed to the target (AC hanger) at 50ft popped up to 8000ft rolled over onto the hanger almost straight down and let loose all 10 of my 750lb bombs and managed to pull out of the extreme dive at 100ft and beat feet back to base with the 1st "mission complete" of the day!! The sad part to this is that I lost 6 AC on this mission :blink: At this rate I'll be flying solo in a few days.

For jet air combat purchase:

SPi's Air War (re-released by TSR in the early 80's)

GDW's Air Superiority (jet fighters from the 1980s)/Air Strike (attack fighters from the 1980s)/Desert Falcons (paper equivalent to WOI) by J.D. Webster

Clash of Arms Speed of Heat (paper equivalent to WOV) by J.D. Webster

Avalon Hill's Flight Leader (a commercial release of a USAF training game "Check Six!" designed by a USAF pilot)

Read/study the volumes of rules associated with these games.

Spend hours playing scenarios modeling mere minutes or even seconds of game time.

Got all of them. Air War was the first game I ever bought when I was 12 years old and at school. It took my firends and I a whole weekend to get through the rules far enough to play the first scenario. All other games seemed easy after that :biggrin: .

Yeah - we spent years playing those and getting our tactics right. Now I can do with SF in an hour what it used to take us weeks to do with a boardgame.

I still dig out these games once in a while to see what they were like. It is true that Strike Fighters radar and ecm values are very close to the values in Air Superiority/Air Strike. I wonder why that is :biggrin: ?

While you may not have time to think in the air when facing a situation live, you better have thought about it before you ever jumped into the cockpit.

The point of playing board games (or attending Top Gun school) is to study the problem in depth before you encounter it so that you can get the results of in depth thinking reflexively.

Better to get shot down on paper than learn the hard way :)

Check Six! (later released as Flight Leader by Avalong Hill) was developed by a USAF pilot to provide a paper lab to teach pilots the basics of air combat tactics:

mutual support/formations, yo-yo maneuvers, alt-speed-energy management, surprise, turn fighters versus energy fighters, etc.

It is one of the simplest jet air combat games to learn and play and covers everything from Korea to the present.

With all the optional rules and a few tweaks here and there, it can even be somewhat realistic.

But it has very simple avionics/weapons modeling as the focus is on positioning your aircraft for optimum PK while denying the enemy any PK at all.

Edited by streakeagle

I've searched around on the knowledge base and forum and can't find a solution to my problem. I've added some of my aircraft to WOI from WOE. The aircraft are fine in WOE, but in WOI they don't all have their rudder markings or numbers. An example is flying F-4B in WOI as VF-84; the paint scheme is fine but no "jolly rogers" on the rudder. Anyone else had this issue? :dntknw:

I've searched around on the knowledge base and forum and can't find a solution to my problem. I've added some of my aircraft to WOI from WOE. The aircraft are fine in WOE, but in WOI they don't all have their rudder markings or numbers. An example is flying F-4B in WOI as VF-84; the paint scheme is fine but no "jolly rogers" on the rudder. Anyone else had this issue? :dntknw:

Have a look at the decals.ini and copy all the specific decals to WOI.

For example F4_SqTailR and F4_SqTailL. Whether WOI is setup to set the decals for an aircraft that is not included in the sim, I don't know. For example: USNFighterNum, SqName, Insignia and NationName.

Have a look at the decals.ini and copy all the specific decals to WOI.

For example F4_SqTailR and F4_SqTailL. Whether WOI is setup to set the decals for an aircraft that is not included in the sim, I don't know. For example: USNFighterNum, SqName, Insignia and NationName.

I'll try that, thanks

2. Would have thought you can stick the hangar music back in if you miss it that much :)

First you'll need to extract the file HangarScreen.INI from the Menu Data CAT. The line for music in WOI's HangarScreen.INI doesn't list a WAV file name. Just add HangarRadio1.wav to the end of that line and you can drop the file from SF/WOV/WOE into to your WOI Menus folder.

Or just rename the WAV file of your choice to HangarRadio1 and stick it in the Menus folder. Right now, I'm using "Should I Stay or Should I Go."

Alternately, I guess you can specify the name of whatever WAV file you like in HangarScreen.INI, as long as you put the WAV file in the Menu folder ...

Edited by Pancho

Question about the gun editor: I noticed we don't have one yet for WoI; meaning we can't gun folks with the JAS-39C or any a/c that has a new third-party gun. I got the weapon editor, but is the gun editor coming sometime soon?

Question about the gun editor: I noticed we don't have one yet for WoI; meaning we can't gun folks with the JAS-39C or any a/c that has a new third-party gun. I got the weapon editor, but is the gun editor coming sometime soon?

The current gun editor works with WOI.

Ah, excellent, thanks!

I've managed to get some Israeli SAMs to turn up by modifying the ISRAELME_TARGETS.INI and adding the following to the end of each Israeli airbase:

Either...

Target[096].Type=SAMRadar

Target[096].Offset=-1292,1206

Target[096].Heading=90

Target[096].ActiveYear=1970

Target[097].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[097].Offset=-1392,1381

Target[097].Heading=30

Target[097].ActiveYear=1970

Target[098].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[098].Offset=-1192,1381

Target[098].Heading=90

Target[098].ActiveYear=1970

Target[099].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[099].Offset=-1032,1140

Target[099].Heading=150

Target[099].ActiveYear=1970

or...

Target[155].Type=SAMRadar

Target[155].Offset=-1292,1206

Target[155].Heading=90

Target[155].ActiveYear=1970

Target[156].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[156].Offset=-1392,1381

Target[156].Heading=30

Target[156].ActiveYear=1970

Target[157].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[157].Offset=-1192,1381

Target[157].Heading=90

Target[157].ActiveYear=1970

Target[158].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[158].Offset=-1032,1140

Target[158].Heading=150

Target[158].ActiveYear=1970

..depending on how many entries are in the airfileds list.

Add Hawks and Chapparalls and have fun.

Hey Sully, those look very nice for gap fillers.

Will have to try them.

And some more SAM's for the Israeli's would be very welcome, may have to try that BB...

Thanks, Speccers. That's exactly what these campaigns are -- a way to fill in the gaps between the major wars, which are all pretty short, from a gameplay perspective. They're just simple mods. Nothing fancy, but they work for me. I hope other players enjoy them, too.

Today I' ve just added my last filler campaign,
War for the Water
, available here at CombatAce:

Now, maybe I'll take some time to actually play WOI ... for awhile, anyway. :wink:

(And I'm eagerly awaiting Johan217's Suez Crisis campaign, which should be awesome!)

Edited by Pancho

And I'm eagerly awaiting Johan217's Suez Crisis campaign, which should be awesome!

I haven't had much time yet to work on Suez. Too busy playing your campaigns :good:

Where else would i be able to download this game? Paypal doesnt seem to be working for me right now , quite annoying with all these great details coming to light about what im missing out on :blowup:

I think TW's site is it right now, but I don't remember if Paypal was the sole way of paying for it?