Sign in to follow this  
Pancho

Attrition War BETA Campaign

Download (ZIP, 8.1 KB)

Attrition War BETA

Campaign for Third Wire's Wings Over Israel

This campaign attempts to deptict the situation in the Middle East as it stood between June 1967 and October 1973. My intent is to simulate the frequent border skirmishes that characterized this era.

Basically, this campaign is a modification of the stock WOI Yom Kippur campaign. It begins in July 1967 and ends in September 1973. Ground offensive has been disabled, so borders should remain static.

All IAF fighter squadrons start out in Mirages and will upgrade both their livery and their aircraft type during the course of the campaign. IAF strike squadrons start out in January 1968 with Skyhawks; they do not upgrade.

The Soviets also make an appearance in early 1970.

This campaign assumes a standard installation of WOI. No add-on aircraft, skins, weapons, or effects have been used, nor have any user-enabled AI aircraft been employed. To install, drop the subfolder *woiCamp4* into your Campaigns folder. To play, select *670701 Attrition War* from the Campaign start screen.

As this campaign is a BETA version, I'd appreciate any feedback you might have. My e-mail address is in the ReadMe. Feel free to modify or improve this campaign as you see fit.

Thanks!

Cool!

Here's an interesting article on the Attrition War: http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_263.shtml

It may include a few pointers for things you could put into this campaign. For example, make the air units appear more gradually and with fewer aircraft/pilots to reflect the build up after the 6 Days War. Also maybe use the A-4E instead of the A-4H initially.

Cool!

Here's an interesting article on the Attrition War: http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/article_263.shtml

It may include a few pointers for things you could put into this campaign. For example, make the air units appear more gradually and with fewer aircraft/pilots to reflect the build up after the 6 Days War. Also maybe use the A-4E instead of the A-4H initially.

Thanks, Johan!

Yeah, I've been tweaking the supply settings to reduce the number of aircraft. At first, I tried to get the air offensive to start and then stop, generating intermittent strike missions much as they occurred during the period. However, it seems that once the air offensive starts it just keeps running.

Instead, I've set supply to zero and fiddled with the mission-chance settings. That's working pretty well. Now I've got fewer aircraft and occassional strike missions. It feels right for the Attrition War.

Not sure about the Skyhawks. Some sources say that the A-4H was essentially an export version of the A-4E, and that the US replaced losses during the Yom Kippur War with shipments of domestic A-4Es. I'm happy to start off with A-4Es and upgrade to A-4Hs, however, if that's what happened historically, Can anybody point me to some definitive sources?