DATE:25/02/08

SOURCE:Flightglobal.com

Sukhoi Su-35-1 makes first flight

By Vladimir Karnozov

Sukhoi's Su-35-1 single-seat multirole fighter made its first flight from

Zhukovsky, near Moscow, on 18 February. Completion of two more aircraft is

due later this year.

Deliveries are scheduled from 2010-11, with the Russian air force having

placed an initial order for a customised version dubbed the Su-27SM2.

Launched in 2003, the Su-35-1 features a Tikhomirov NIIP Irbis radar with a

detection range of 400km (216nm), a reshaped wing and two NPO Saturn Item

117S engines with vectored thrust and supercruise capability. The airframe

is designed for 6,000 flight hours or a 30-year service life

this is a production version of the Su-35 for the Russian AF, right?

i didn't know it had supercruise.. nice :))

thanks!

Supercruise is mostly about the engines but also has to do with inlets and drag. The reshaped wing and different engines likely enabled that.

I wonder HOW reshaped the wing is? Mostly cosmetic, or noticeable at a glance?

im just wondering how the russians reduced the big Su-27 family RCS....

About time too - didnt think id ever see an SU-35

What are they classing as supercruise speed then - thought it was >Mach 1

well i ever know anything that cruise the mach one barrier without afterburners have super cruise.

I think supercruise has to be a substantial amount over Mach 1. Lots of older jets could break Mach 1 without afterburner in a clean config if they made a shallow dive or something first, but we're talking Mach 1.05 or such. Most "supercruise" is more like Mach 1.2 or higher.

As for reducing the RCS, just look at the Super Hornet. Bigger than the old Hornet, but has an RCS far smaller thanks to the inlets and angle changing.

As for reducing the RCS, just look at the Super Hornet. Bigger than the old Hornet, but has an RCS far smaller thanks to the inlets and angle changing.

It's also got something to do with construction too. I know that by having the struts inside the wing built in a zigzag method can have an effect on the return signature. the Zigzag method is supposed to help deflect the return away from the aircraft but not toward the radar in a similar fashion to the way the F-117 is able to scatter radar beams/pulses, whatever you want to call them. The intakes are apparantly built out of composites and have a high percentage of their surface coated in or built with radar absorbing materials. This is supposedly the standard set in the early naughties (around 2002) with Russian, Indian and other Su-27/30s but I have seen too many sourced materials about this. India is definitely doing it though.

I'm a bit confused with the designation Su-35 though. Is this the new Su-35 without canards? Because the first gen Su-35 has been flying since in VVS service for almost ten(?) years now, albeit, in very, very limited numbers.

I think supercruise has to be a substantial amount over Mach 1. Lots of older jets could break Mach 1 without afterburner in a clean config if they made a shallow dive or something first,

sustained Mach 1.0+ in level flight without burner - I'm not sure if it also includes the ability to achieve Mach1 + without burner in the first place (which the old EE Lightning could do back in 1959).

sustained Mach 1.0+ in level flight without burner - I'm not sure if it also includes the ability to achieve Mach1 + without burner in the first place (which the old EE Lightning could do back in 1959).

Clean F-16 can do that - woohoo watch out F-22! :biggrin:

Wow, only 200 flight hours a year! Now is that factoring ACM into the figure? Anyone know how those numbers are calculated?

No Airbrake? WTF?

And to answer this:

I'm a bit confused with the designation Su-35 though. Is this the new Su-35 without canards? Because the first gen Su-35 has been flying since in VVS service for almost ten(?) years now, albeit, in very, very limited numbers.

The Su-35 that came out in the 1990s had canards and about 12 are in service. There is an Su-35BM which is pretty much the same as this Su-35-1.

No Airbrake? WTF?

Why?

The F-22 doesn't have one either...the idea is using differential surfaces to achieve the same effect.

FastCargo

Doesn't the F-22 use its rudders as airbrakes in a way? Or is that the Super Hornet.

Doesn't the F-22 use its rudders as airbrakes in a way?

Didn't I say that? :biggrin:

Okay, okay, so 'differential surfaces' sounds really fancy...I was trying to sound smart...

FastCargo

:clapping: WoHooW!

711 lives again!!!

711 crashed Silverbolt.