Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Campaigns...to runway start or not to runway start...?

Just curious, if everyone else here prefers runway start, air start, or start near target for campaigns. I've been trying to fly campaign missions from take off to landing in order to get the most "immersion" I can from the campaigns, but honestly, I'm finding the take off, flight to target, and the egress just way too boring, even with time acceleration. On the other hand, if I select start near target, I feel like I'm really just playing a bunch of random single missions (even though the campaign still feels that way no matter how you start).

With IL-2, EECH, and F4AF, I think flying the entire missions really adds to the experience of the sim, due to the way the sim is set up. I'd really like to do the same for the TW series, but I'm starting to get really bored on the ingress and egress.

So what do you all prefer - runway start or start near target? For those of you that fly the entire missions, what do you do to keep yourself interested?

I too always try to start on runway in campaigns even on single missions. I also can't help feeling bored during the ingress. And what egress since I hit the Esc key after I finish the mission. Then again if I start near the target I feel like I'm in some arcade shooting game, my fuel tank is still full too....

Time compression is a big no-no to me so you could imagine my suffering LOL. I try to ease the boredom by viewing my plane and other planes in external view. They are simply beautiful but this only works for a few minutes. Perhaps a good music for ingress and egress would help. Anyone care to share?

Has anyone ever bumped into unsuspecting enemy flight during ingress? I'd love to see that in campaigns.

So you're not alone. I share your sentiment :grin:

Edited by Miracles

Take off, fly in, fly out, and land for the majority.

About the only time I don't finish in this manner is by taking that one last milk run before heading in for night-shift, and it not being a milk run!

Then I get "mission complete" and ESC out.

As to the boring parts, that is why I have a KVM, so I can switch over to the server en route and read boards and stuff. I hear an incident, switch back.

Works for me!

Usually full takeoff, ingress, egress, and landing(this is especially fun with carrier ops I love carrier traps!!!). Often times I alter the flight plan(though this tends to screw with supporting elements that aren't much help anyway...) to make my approach on bridges/runways on the as the bridge/runway layout(lenghwise). For some reason the planning map default rarely does that... Also there are plenty of times when the flight plan has me over enemy territory for DAYS. I almost always Cycle up my waypoints after mission completion to '8'. Also by flying all the way in I can get a better idea of enemy aircraft location miles before I'm there. It seems that if I 'ALT N' and fast forward I get jumped(85% of the time).

I also like to start from runway, It adds immersion to the campaing and also, like Buzzard said, gives you more time to locate and react to threats and more time to plan your mission, which can be quite and advantage. To endure the ingress boredom, I usuallt look what the other planes are up to and try to gain a little bit more of SA by doing so, I also fast forward a little bit, altough usually not more than 2x. Once the mission is complete I ESC out

Edited by Lamanai

WoI's AI is so aggressive it feels like shameless cheating when you don't give them a chance to shoot you on the way home by pressing Esc.

Manual takeoff is fun - load A-4 with maximum possible number of Rockeyes and you'll see. :biggrin:

WoI's AI is so aggressive it feels like shameless cheating when you don't give them a chance to shoot you on the way home by pressing Esc.

Manual takeoff is fun - load A-4 with maximum possible number of Rockeyes and you'll see. :biggrin:

Almost always take off to land (with Alt+T time accel for long distances). During ingress like checking out the other flights and ground units in external view, especially if there are ground offensives going on :). In WOV I usually selected a squadron that was close to the action to cut down flight times. In WOI the fight times are much shorter anyway.

Strange, I've always found the campaigns in Strike Fighters much more immersive than IL-2...

Always take off, ingress, attack, egress, landing. And always everything on hard settings. In campaign or in single mission. For me it's simulation, otherwise it's just another video game.

I start on the runway.

As to the boring parts, that is why I have a KVM,

What's KVM?

Edited by Wolf65

Depends on my mood and time really. If I can I fly them all the way, I will. It gives me time to calculate my bomb release settings and to set up my formation.

(WOE) I always take off and land - and use time acceleration to x16 over friendly territory - then switch it off as I hit soviet airspace. On the way back I often get back to friendly territory - then if I think I have enough fuel I will use ALt+n to go back to base - or just land at the nearest base if im low on fuel.

Suppose you could just alt+n and pretend you did some A-A refuelling on the way back :)

I use time compress a LOT. I'll also use Alt-N if I'm in a hurry for some reason. I always start and land on the runway, though.

I use time compress a LOT. I'll also use Alt-N if I'm in a hurry for some reason. I always start and land on the runway, though.

:biggrin: I have seen you land, maybe you should just hit ESC instead. :rofl::tongue:

Take off, ingress, do the biz, egress, victory roll over the airfield. Land, taxi to hangar, switch off engine (woohoo) get out. Quick shower, do my hair, choose shoes...bite to eat. Then off to work (wish I could alt+n this part). :biggrin:

I always takeoff and try to fly the entire mission, if time is limited i will warp and esc end missions. Only problem i have is intercept missions, even running full burner i never seem to make it to missile launch range before the bombers drop there eggs, even in the F-106A. How do you guys handle this problem?

Then off to work (wish I could alt+n this part). :biggrin:

Could we ask TK for this feature in the next patch? :biggrin:

I start on the runway.

What's KVM?

One of these;

kvmfront1.jpg

Mine looks just like it. It stands for Keyboard, Video & Mouse. This way you can have one of each of these and share it on 2 systems.

I actually have the other system paused with a Baz mission waiting for my return.

:good:

:biggrin: I have seen you land, maybe you should just hit ESC instead. :rofl::tongue:

*waves hand*

You have seen me land many times.

They have all been picture perfect, even with severe battle damage.

You can go about your business.

Move along.

That old Jedi mind trick won't work on me, young Skywalker...

HEYY :biggrin:

not complaining but.......... :wink:

...is there or will there be any plans of implementation of tarmac and revetment starts in the future? :blink:

i mean, i understand it might be one more step towards TW sims not being "lite" sims..... :dntknw:

but it would add an unprecedented dimension to campaign missions in general..... :yes:

just imagine catching scrambling MiGs on the taxiway instead of seeing them lifting off the runway :biggrin:

I've done it in LOMAC many a time, but unless you have bombs or rockets or something it's nearly impossible to strafe them easily.

Agreed.

In WOE/WOV I'd usually start in the air and hit <esc> when done with the mission. However, given the great improvement in the AI with WOI, I've been flying back to base, and frequently having to fight all the way back. I'm really loving the challenge the new AI has produced. Yesterday I had a flight of Mig-17's follow me all the way back to base. I was out of ammo but I was able to keep ahead of them most of the way but ended up running out of fuel. They got me just offshore.

Quick btw; I'm I the only one whos plane is moving all by itself on the runway? If there's a fix for this, thnks in advance.

I like to start on the runway for realism and I also like to land (although I can't get my A-6A stable enough to land on carriers!) but I must confess that I might read several pages of a book on the vietnam airware while the ingress and egress are going on!